Author Topic: Neptune MAH4000AWW - No Spin/Contoller board not burnt  (Read 4913 times)

Offline geohec

• VIP Member
Neptune MAH4000AWW - No Spin/Contoller board not burnt
« on: December 31, 2008, 01:38:57 AM »
I've looked over 10 pages of post and can't find what I need.  The best post that offered the most info was this link, http://appliancejunk.com/forums/index.php?topic=70.15

Lot's of good info on this site O0 ,but my problem is different. 

While running a load the washer goes through all cycles from start to finish EXCEPT it doesn't spin.  Load of laundry comes out wet.  The door light lock is on during the whole process. 

The controller board and the wax motor were repaired under warranty back in 2004 before the class action lawsuit.   The repaired wax motor is the brown tipped one and as I mentioned in the title of this post, the controller board looks to be fine without any burned resistors (all the usual suspect were perfect).   The washer is 9 years old.

Can the controller board be fried and show no signs of trouble.  Could the wax motor be the issue?  Anyone have ideas??  Help the laundry is piling up.....

Model MAH4000AWW

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
Re: Neptune MAH4000AWW - No Spin/Contoller board not burnt
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 04:57:40 AM »
Can it? Could it?

Yes, and yes.

There is more to the Neptune than the  control board and wax motor. It can only spin if certain  criteria are met, including a complete circuit around the off-balance loop on the tub. If you are curious as to why it is not spinning, you have a lot of tests to do using the tech sheet that is conveniently in the top console. Dust off your meter and read the  manual to start the diagnostic process.
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline geohec

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 01:03:49 PM »
Thanks for the reply.   

The diagnostic sheet in the top console has limited trouble shooting (see attached).  The diagnostic sheet only trouble shoots items if the "door light" is off.  It does not have options when the "door light" is "on" and in my case the "door light" is on. 

As for the manual, I don't have a full manual.  The machine only came with a 13 page washer user guide that doesn't have too much in the way of trouble shooting.  I've seen the MAH3000 manual floating around on this forum that has the nice trouble shooting flow chart diagrams but I haven't seen the MAH4000 manual.   Do you have the a link to the MAH 4000 manual or is the MAH 3000 manual ok to trouble shoot this issue.  I was tempted to use the 3000 manual earlier but I was afraid I might spend time and money on the wrong issue.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 01:43:41 PM »
The manual for the MAH3000 also applies to your machine. The only differences are subtle changes in the software and cycle selections, but the physical aspects and diagnostics are the same.

If you are dismissing the service guide as a bunch of "flow chart diagrams", then you  will not be able to diagnose your problem. The chart is what all of us refer to whenever we have a question. No one here is going to walk you thru a difficult diagnostic process on this machine. There are too many variables and frankly I question your technical prowess....no offense of course.

The only page you attached from the tech sheet was just the preliminary guide...there are several sections dedicated to the motor checkout and the balance switches as well. All of the timer inputs and output voltages are also contained there, so from a technician's aspect, this is all that is needed to check the machine. Since you may not be this qualified, a service call looms in your future.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 01:49:12 PM by Repair-man »
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline geohec

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2008, 07:19:23 PM »
No I'm not dismissing the service guide.  I think you misread what I posted.  The 3000 manual with flowcharts are what I prefer to work with and in fact it contains everything that is included in the abbreviated 7 page service guide behind the top console.  The flow chart directions in the 3000 manual are quite clear and cover many more possible conditions than the service guide.   I just wanted to use the most complete and comprehensive info available.

Thanks for the info about the 3000 manual being ok to use for the 4000 series.   Time to break out the ol' digital test meter again.  Just used it this past summer to trouble shoot my Goodwin A/C unit.  Thanks again and Happy New Year.

Offline geohec

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2009, 04:12:48 PM »
Forgot to follow up on this last week but I thought I'd give everyone the update.

After getting the go ahead from repair-man to use the Neptune 3000 manual for my Neptune 4000.  I broke the old digital meter out and followed the manual trouble shooting guide.   One of the 1st few checks was to check continuity across the door/lock enable switch.   Checked it and no good. 

Decided to pull out the switch and call the appliance store to see if they had the part in stock but noticed that one of the two leads of the switch looked a little dirty.   I pulled out the steel wool, then bent the steel lead out a little to make sure I cleaned it one hundred percent.  Checked continuity again and BINGO.   Put the switch back in started up the washer in spin cycle with the door off and BINGO once again.

Cheapest fix I have had in a long time, no parts, no cost.....just a little patience.   Thanks for the links to the manual and other info to help fix my washer.  Great forum.

Maytag Neptune Spin Problem/Contoller board not burnt

Started by sdocsmith

Replies: 3
Views: 1734
Last post January 08, 2009, 02:52:28 PM
by whirlpooltech
Maytag Neptune MAH4000AWW - No Spin.

Started by larry

Replies: 39
Views: 58352
Last post February 21, 2011, 01:22:14 PM
by bwhelan
Maytag Neptune Mah4000aww will not go through cycles or spin...

Started by Mudd222

Replies: 11
Views: 4433
Last post April 23, 2013, 11:14:30 AM
by def
Maytag Neptune MAH4000AWW burning smell during spin cycle.

Started by ksujason

Replies: 15
Views: 16920
Last post September 14, 2008, 11:46:31 PM
by Repair-man
Maytag Neptune does not spin - replaced control board looks OK

Started by sgwfromBG

Replies: 3
Views: 2212
Last post October 01, 2009, 06:06:32 PM
by sgwfromBG
Maytag Neptune MAH4000AWW - No Spin.