Author Topic: GE Refrigerator Diagnotics Mode  (Read 2996 times)

Offline RAC

• VIP Member
GE Refrigerator Diagnotics Mode
« on: December 28, 2008, 08:32:58 PM »
I am trying to diagnose why my defrost cycle isn't running. (Ice builds up over time and I have to manually defrost it.) I've tried to run the diagnostics as mentioned in other posts and described in the manual but have not been successful. I press all 4 buttons and the display (single digit displays) flashes "0 0". I can enter a test code but then I can't get it to run the test. It just times out and reverts back to the original temperature settings. There is a reference to a "HOLD" button but its not obvious what button this is.  Exactly how do you make it execute the test?

Thanks for the help,

Model GSS22WGPWW

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
Re: GE Refrigerator Diagnotics Mode
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 02:59:57 AM »
For temperature control panels with single-digit displays, the COLDER temperature adjustment button will increment the numbers up and the WARMER temperature adjustment button will increment the numbers down. Use the freezer temperature adjustment buttons to enter the test code number in the freezer display. Use the refrigerator temperature adjustment buttons to enter the test code number in the refrigerator display. When a test code has been entered, the displays will flash to confirm the test. Press the HOLD button for 3 seconds to begin the test.

If there is no Hold button, press any other button to begin the test after the code begins flashing.
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline RAC

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 07:33:57 AM »

If there is no Hold button, press any other button to begin the test after the code begins flashing.

I don't mean to be dense, but my unit only has the 4 temp change buttons on the front of the control panel. The only other controls are on the freezer door. Maybe my unit can't run these tests?

All I see is after I press the 4 temp change buttons, the 2 digits blink with zero's. I enter the numbers for a command. They never blink. After a while, the display goes back to the temp setting. There is no indication any test was run.

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 07:52:10 AM »
This usually spells board problems. The tech sheet you found will show you how to check each thermister and defrost component from behind the unit at the main board. For units like yours that only have single digit  displays, a special kit must be ordered from GE to run diagnostics. For this reason, you'll have to identify the  failed component the old-fashioned way...with your meter.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 08:00:30 AM by Repair-man »
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline RAC

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 08:52:15 AM »
This usually spells board problems. The tech sheet you found will show you how to check each thermister and defrost component from behind the unit at the main board. For units like yours that only have single digit  displays, a special kit must be ordered from GE to run diagnostics. For this reason, you'll have to identify the  failed component the old-fashioned way...with your meter.
OK. That explains alot! Thanks for the information. I guess it's time to roll up the sleves...

Refrigerator will not exit DISPLAY OFF mode (it seems)

Started by Merf

Replies: 1
Views: 1888
Last post July 12, 2009, 07:55:47 PM
by Repair-man
Samsung Refrigerator Service Mode Factory Settings

Started by Gypsy283

Replies: 2
Views: 1031
Last post December 08, 2013, 02:27:29 PM
by Seidean Sidh
Repair Guide: Whirlpool Refrigerator - Water in bottom of fridge under drawers.

Started by AJ

Replies: 3
Views: 86970
Last post July 08, 2007, 12:04:06 PM
by curtis
GE refrigerator/freezer

Started by MajorApp

Replies: 7
Views: 5019
Last post May 21, 2008, 05:44:45 AM
by Repair-man
kenmore refrigerator model # 52552100 no ice