Author Topic: Top Load Whirlpool Washer Leaking/Burn Smell After Changing Coupler  (Read 3854 times)

Offline kabbott

• VIP Member
Model Number: LSL9345EZ1 icon

I recently followed the nicely done pdf on how to replace the motor coupling.  That fixed our problem for washing and spinning the clothes and the coupler was definitely broken.  Problem is I must have did something wrong because now it leaks out at the bottom of the washer whenever it drains.  The leak appears to be around the water pump and maybe coming from around the shaft that goes into the water pump.  I have removed the two clips that hold the water pump in place and reseated it a couple different times thinking that might be the problem.  However, that hasn't helped.  Also, there is an electrical smell now when it runs.  I can't pinpoint where it is coming from, but it appears to be coming from the front of the washer.  I don't know if some dust got onto the motor when I removed it and it is just burning off now.  Thanks for any help you can give me.

Kevin

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: Top Load Whirlpool Washer Leaking/Burn Smell After Changing Coupler
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2008, 06:59:03 PM »
Look in the pump for object. Make sure the new part ain't binding on the tranny or motor.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline kabbott

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2008, 10:28:57 AM »
Thanks for your response! 

I cleaned up some sludge buildup in the output pipe and around the water pump's output flap and then rinsed out the water pump.  I could spray water in the input side and it would flow out of the output side.  So there wasn't any object inside of it that I could tell.  It didn't appear to be stopping the water from exiting the water pump.  I could easily move the wheel inside the water pump by pushing my finger inside the output part of the pump and turn it.

I kept the front off the washer so I could check it out and watch it through a cycle.  It doesn't leak when the water is going into the washer or through the spin cycle, but as soon as the spin cycle stops (and the water pump stops by design I believe) and the washer starts to fill up with water again then the water starts to leak out immediately from the water pump around the place where it hooks onto the engine shaft.  It is a steady stream of water.  There is no crack that I can see in the water pump which makes me think it is leaking out around the engine shaft.  As soon as the water pump turns on again when the agitation cycle begins, there is no leak.  It is fine again all the way through the agitation cycle and through the spin cycle (the water pump is on) until the spin cycle stops (and the water pump stops again).  Once the spin cycle stops, then the leak begins again because the water pump stops.  Do I need to replace the water pump or do you think it is something else.

One good thing is I don't seem to have the burn smell anymore.  I don't know what I would have done to stop the smell.  But it seems to be gone now!

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2008, 01:33:53 PM »
Yeah mine does it too. I am waiting till it starts a steady stream. I keep the mop near the washer. But that's just me.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline jumptrout51

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2008, 09:48:28 AM »
Replace the water pump.
Take a Kid fishing.

Offline kabbott

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 02:27:41 PM »
I replaced the water pump and it works fine now.  Thanks for everyone's help on ApplianceJunk.com!

Whirlpool Washer-changed coupler- now have soot & burned rubber smell

Started by awalters

Replies: 1
Views: 2872
Last post February 28, 2008, 07:28:28 AM
by Repair-man
Whirlpool Duet Sport Front Load Washer Leaking from the Door

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 1
Views: 14784
Last post May 23, 2013, 08:24:30 PM
by Rick32k
Whirlpool top load washer won't spin - replaced coupler and clutch

Started by kodiakmook

Replies: 4
Views: 2102
Last post January 25, 2012, 01:58:55 AM
by Washaman
Video: Whirlpool Made Direct Drive Washer Motor Coupler Replacement

Started by AJ

Replies: 18
Views: 42894
Last post May 18, 2010, 06:53:50 AM
by gimpyjones
Video: Whirlpool Duet Front Load Washer Water Pump Clean Out.

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 6801
Last post November 28, 2007, 09:58:47 PM
by AJ
Whirlpool Washer Leaking

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 3
Views: 4310
Last post March 22, 2008, 01:52:43 PM
by JWWebster