Author Topic: Kitchenaid Refrigerator Leaking Water Dispenser.  (Read 13629 times)

Offline TechnicianBrian

• Technician
    • TechnicianBrian.com
Kitchenaid Refrigerator Leaking Water Dispenser.
« on: December 24, 2008, 06:55:39 AM »
Model #KSRG25FKSS15, this side by side refrigerator would leak water from the fill dispenser to the point it would fill the catch tray and begin to run down the front of the freezer door. To make maters worse, the stainless steel finish began to show water marks each time this happened and no amount of cleaning seemed to make it look better. There are a few things that can cause this annoying water problem which I will address. But the good new is, while looking for some refrigerator parts, I found a kit to help prevent it from happening, and it's simple enough, most anyone can do it.

The water dispensers in most any refrigerator consists of a house water connection, a water valve, and then the dispenser itself. When the button or lever is pressed, an electrical circuit is created to the water valve usually located in the back or or underneath the refrigerator. This valve assembly uses an electrical coil to generate a magnetic field which pulls on an iron shaft connected to the internal valve allowing water to flow. When the button or lever is released, the electricity will stop and the pressure from the water line will snap the valve shut.

Slow leaks or drips from the water dispenser can be the result of air trapped in the water line and will usually occur just after replacing a water filter. When the filter is changed, a large amount of air enters the system and needs to be removed by running water from the dispenser until all the air pockets are gone. Another reason is the water valve itself may not be sealing when closed allowing water pressure from the supply like to work its way into the dispenser water line. This is a less likely reason, but you should be aware of this possibility when diagnosing your own problem.

The most likely reason for any slow leak from this type of dispenser is gravity. Whenever you draw water from the dispenser then stop the flow, water still remains in the water line from the valve to the end of the dispenser. Any water that has made it past the bend in the water line will be pulled down by gravity and starts to siphon water from the rest of the line. But as I said above, Whirlpool has provided a kit to put a stop to this problem, and it's simple enough, most anyone can do it.

The fitting kit as it is called consists of a new dispenser water line, mounting bracket, and instruction sheet, part # 8201537

At the heart of the new line is a vacuum bulb that fills with water initially, then each time the dispenser arm if released, provides a suction to pull any water that rounded the bend back into the line. I have refereed to this as the 'slurp kit' to customers because of the noticeable sound it makes when in operation, but if you are suffering from a dripping problem, this kit will make your day.

The actual process for replacement is outlined in the instruction sheet, but I would like to offer a few suggestions. If your dispenser has a lock out button, use it or prop the door open when installing this kit, otherwise you may end up with water on the floor or in your lap. The replacement water line is much longer than what is needed so don't worry if you are having problems and need to cut a bit off. As a mater of fact, cut the end of the line at an angle to help it slip through the opening in the hinge. You will know when you hit this point because it usually just stops the line requiring you to remove some and start over. When you do get stopped, take a short thin screwdriver and slide it up into the hinge opening to help center the water line. Once this is done, the line should slide the rest of the way without much effort.

Follow the instructions for the rest of the procedure and you should have it done is no time at all. This is an effective kit to solve small leaking problems. If you notice the problem continues, or the original problem was more of a larger leak, you may need to look at the water valve as the more likely problem, part # W10408179

Offline jumptrout51

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: Kitchenaid Refrigerator Leaking Water Dispenser.
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 07:00:04 AM »
I bought this kit for one of my customers to find out the instruction sheet excluded models made from 2000 to 2001.
Is there a different kit to include these years?
Take a Kid fishing.

Kenmore refrigerator - how remove ice/water dispenser front panel

Started by Marvster

Replies: 1
Views: 22896
Last post August 11, 2007, 08:06:07 PM
by AJ
Maytag refrigerator Ice & water dispenser HELP

Started by nash

Replies: 3
Views: 2854
Last post January 26, 2008, 03:39:27 PM