365-Day Hassle Free Return Policy!  ·  AppliancePartsPros.com
Washer PartsDryer PartsRefrigerator PartsDishwasher PartsRange & Oven PartsAll Appliance Parts

Author Topic: Magic Chef CLY1620ADB range in RV  (Read 82 times)

Offline BoomerD

• VIP Member
Magic Chef CLY1620ADB range in RV
« on: July 29, 2015, 11:12:46 PM »
You folks have helped before...I'm hoping you can help again.

I have a motorhome with a Magic Chef 3 burner range and oven.

The cooktop burners work fine, but the oven...not so much.

You have to manually light the pilot, but when you turn the temp control, it gives a small "surge" of gas toward the pilot, (flame increases slightly) but the burner won't light. If you hold a lighter under the "thermocouple," the burner WILL light...but goes out again quickly.

I had one RV shop try to troubleshoot it, and their "best guess" is a bad mercury safety switch, or POSSIBLY, a bad thermostat/control valve. Unfortunately, such parts are apparently no longer available. (the RV is a 2004, built in 2003)

Anyone have any suggestions other than "just go buy a new stove?"

Thanks.

Offline dab147315

• Technician
Re: Magic Chef CLY1620ADB range in RV
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 08:32:19 AM »
I would try to replace this Pilot 74006334

Offline BoomerD

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 12:55:18 PM »
Dab, thanks for the reply.

Why replace the pilot? it seems to work fine..but MIGHT need to be cleaned. (I hate to troubleshoot by throwing parts at a problem until it's fixed)

In case I wasn't clear in my original post, this is PROPANE (LPG) not natural gas.

I suspect I'm using "thermocouple" incorrectly, but I think the term is close enough for a description.

From here:

http://www.appliance411.com/faq/gas_range_ignition_systems.shtml

"If the pilot IS lit but the oven burner is not lighting, the pilot flame will need to be inspected as the thermostat is turned on. If the pilot is not extending when the thermostat is tuned to ON, the oven thermostat may be defective. If the pilot is extending but the oven gas valve is not opening, that oven safety valve may be defective or its sensor bulb may be out of position on the pilot or just dirty causing it to not sense the proper temperature of the pilot flame. A dirty pilot can also cause a reduced size pilot flame so the oven safety valve can not sense the proper temperature to open."

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 02:43:38 PM »
Because you said if you place a lighter under the safety valve sensor bulb it would light.Possible bad pilot or try to clean it out like you said.As for throwing parts into it,theres not that many available.Also it makes be believe that the flame is not hitting the safety sensor bulb just right and when you place the lighter there it open up.If you use a propane torch and place the torch flame on the safety bulb and it stay lite all the time the flame was on it,that to me would make it more like the pilot.That part number also seems to be for a propane R.V.as in this attach:from sears parts.Read the whole page good luck.

magic chef gas range

Started by sipsey

Replies: 1
Views: 1924
Last post November 11, 2008, 12:21:06 PM
by JWWebster
magic chef gas range

Started by sipsey

Replies: 1
Views: 1584
Last post November 11, 2008, 12:20:29 PM
by JWWebster