Author Topic: Whirlpool flat cooktop stove (w/Schott Ceran top)  (Read 5927 times)

Offline neustkg

• VIP Member
Whirlpool flat cooktop stove (w/Schott Ceran top)
« on: December 12, 2008, 04:25:46 PM »
This is more of a cleaning/maintenance problem...

I like this stove, but I noticed a problem w/cleaning the burner circles.  Since the entire surface is speckled, it hides scratches well.  But I've developed a problem on a couple of burners.  When we had some spills and cleaned them, sometimes it leaves a large black spot (as you can't get everything off right away), but very flat, not affecting the burner.  No matter how hard you scrub, you can't get the spot(s) off.  Is there a cleaner (I purchased the cleaner recommended for the cooktop in Lowes, but it doesn't help) that will work well for this?  I've been using the scrunge part of the sponge and regular dish soap.  I figure the problem won't be that bad if it covers the entire circle, but it hasn't and is unsightly.

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
Re: Whirlpool flat cooktop stove (w/Schott Ceran top)
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2008, 04:40:28 PM »
There are 2 ways to approach this...I usually try the factory method of heating the burner area on Med for about 1 minute, then using a single-edged razor blade or scraper on the surface. This is one of the procedures that Schott recommends for certain deposits on the glass and will not damage the surface. In fact, some of the JennAir units  have a cleaning blade packed in the box new.

The other remedy is a powder called Barkeeper's Friend. It's in a familiar yellow can to those of us who use it frequently and you'll find it on the same isle as the Comet at the grocery. I also use Soft Scrub (no bleach) on stains with proven results. If the circles were caused by using an aluminum pot on the glass, the stain is permanent.

"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Whirlpool scs3017 Relocating cooktop burners

Started by MasterPlumber

Replies: 2
Views: 1729
Last post October 15, 2008, 09:04:15 PM
by MasterPlumber
Range, Oven, Cooktop, Microwave Service Repair Manuals for Whirlpool

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 11899
Last post January 24, 2009, 11:55:29 PM
by AJ
Whirlpool gas cooktop

Started by dphan128

Replies: 5
Views: 1673
Last post April 17, 2009, 06:20:38 AM
by Repair-man
8178713 Whirlpool KA Flush Mount Gas Cooktop Service Repair Manual

Started by AJ

Views: 1569
Last post August 18, 2009, 12:32:50 PM
by AJ
KR-37 Whirlpool KitchenAid 30 & 36 Flush-Mount Gas Cooktop Service Repair Manual

Started by AJ

Views: 1519
Last post August 18, 2009, 12:43:33 PM
by AJ
Whirlpool 30" Electric Downdraft Cooktop Service Manual

Started by AJ

Views: 1309
Last post August 18, 2009, 03:54:22 PM
by AJ