Author Topic: icemaker how to adjust water fill time  (Read 17956 times)

Offline marky

• VIP Member
icemaker how to adjust water fill time
« on: December 11, 2008, 05:03:26 PM »
I replaced the fill valve but now I get a frozen trickle of water on the right side of the icemaker down the inside of the freezer. It looks like the tray must be overflowing a little. The new valve stops at 7 seconds as it should. The old valve was not shutting off completely (original valve). Is there an adjustment to the incoming water amount? Thanks. Mark

Model 106.50592000 mfgr 9/2000

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: icemaker how to adjust water fill time
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 06:29:33 PM »
on the right hand side midways
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair Help
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 06:55:59 PM »
Page 4 of the service manual will show you the adjustment screw.

Whirlpool Modular Ice Maker & Crushed Ice Despenser Service Repair Manual

Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline marky

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2008, 02:57:09 PM »
I looked at the manual you referred to and it doesnt appear to cover my model. It shows an icemaker type with a wire ice lever control. Mine has the optical ice level system and I cant find anywhere visible where ther is a water level adjustment knob or screw. Mine is a Sears side by side Mfgr in 9/2000 model 106 50592000 SN SK 3538447. Can you tell me how to adjust the fill time? I recently installed a new fill valve as the old one wasnt shutting off immediately causing some overflow into the ice bin.  The new valve runs for 7 seconds as best as I can measure it which is as it should but I get a "little" overflow still down the right side of the freezer from the icemaker. Can you help me figure out how to fix this? Thanks, Mark

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2008, 04:45:54 PM »
Mark

Would you kindly read page 4 of the manual he showed you above. The icemaker itself is what we are focusing on now. The water adjustment is shown there.

If the old valve left a chunk of ice in the fill cup on the right side of the  icemeker, it will splash every time it fills. Check the cup.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 04:48:58 PM by Repair-man »
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2008, 05:25:25 PM »
If your Ice maker head looks like this then the adjustment is to the right. A small screw midways from the top. You can only turn it a quarter turn either way. It moves the tip of the contact so that it will either make more or less contact with a small copper plate mounted on the inside if the main drive gear. The plate turns black from the arcing associated with the tip causing water valve overfill. You can sometimes clean the plate and fix the problem.
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline marky

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2008, 06:24:48 PM »
The photo you attached appears to require the removal of the icemaker to remove the side cover plate and access the adjusting screw? I would think that adjusting the ice tray water level screw should be able to be done with the unit in place. An earlier response said it may be a cube hanging up in the tray which makes sense as my frozen drip down the side of the freezer along the right side below the ice tray unit has only happened occasionally since replacing the water valve. I'll try to check the ice cups during a ice dump cycle. Thanks a lot for your input.
One other question, the manual refers to a heater that energizes as part of the ice dump process. I assume this means that just before the ice is dumped a heater at the bottom of the ice tray comes on to loosen the ice so it will fall out?
Thanks again, Mark

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2008, 06:35:21 PM »
Here is how it all goes down. When the ice mold thermostat reaches harvest temperature it will energize the motor and the heater. The heater will loosen the ice and the motor will move the ice over the top and drop it into the bucket. Near the end the water valve will kick on for 7.5 seconds and refill the ice mold. The whole magilla will come to a screeching halt and wait untill the ice mold thermostat again says GO! So what goes wrong? The condenser coils get dirty and the ice  harvest temp will not get cold enough for mr ice mold thermostat to kick in. The water valve does not energize OR is fill the mold for 25 or more seconds flooding the ice bin and making a sticky mess. The head goes hay wire or the heater simply opens like a 5 year light bulb with 5 and half years on it. If your head s going bad it would be way easier to get a generic, but you say the new ice makers connector ain't the same as yours? Remove your old ice makers wiring harness and use it. Some of them ice makers have a knob on the side just for that purpose.
http://sites.google.com/site/sublimeappliancerepair/refrigerator-problem/defrost-info/ice-maker-quit-making-ice-im-secrets
« Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 06:47:26 PM by JWWebster »
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Video: Testing - Connect and disconnect a push-in ice maker water fill valve

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 15594
Last post July 30, 2007, 05:53:38 PM
by AJ
Icemaker water supply tube freezes

Started by peterparch

Replies: 10
Views: 16285
Last post October 17, 2008, 12:53:58 PM