Author Topic: Refrigerator too cold and things melt in freezer  (Read 3396 times)

Offline ryanpd

• VIP Member
Refrigerator too cold and things melt in freezer
« on: December 08, 2008, 08:11:34 PM »
I have a Kenmore Refrigerator (Model 795.75959402) that I'm having temperature issues with.  The freezer seems to intermittently get warm and the refrigerator gets too cold.  Yesterday I unplugged it for a few hours, removed the rear cover and cleaned the condenser (it wasn't very dirty).  Then I plugged it back in, replaced the food, made sure all the vents were clear and set both temp controls to 4 (the middle setting).  24 hours later, the food in the refrigerator is frozen and the ice maker tray has cubes sitting in a layer of ice.  The freezer was 0 F when I checked, but at some point it was warm enough to melt some of the ice, which created the layer of ice at the bottom of the tray.  I'm guessing that it is some sort of a defroster problem.  Can anyone tell me where to start my troubleshooting?

Thanks in advance,

Ryan

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: Refrigerator too cold and things melt in freezer
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 08:24:57 PM »
Just right off the top of my head I would say their is a damper problem. The fresh food compartment gets its cold from the freezer section. The temperature is regulated probably by some sort of sensing device to open and close the damper. Either the damper is stuck mechanically in the open position or there is a foulup in the sensor acurately relaying the resistance values to the board or the board itself is some what gone haywire. Since the board is way more expensive than the sensor I would clean or replace that before replacing the board. I would also take at look at the damper. I am just guessing because I cannot get your model number to gel at the appliance parts pro site.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 08:26:30 PM by JWWebster »
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline RegUS_PatOff

• Technician
Re: Refrigerator too cold and things melt in freezer
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 08:50:28 PM »
After leaving this Earth, "Do you want the smoking or non-smoking section?"

Amana Refrigerator Cold Freezer, Warm Refrigerator

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 0
Views: 7369
Last post September 18, 2008, 07:34:24 AM
by TechnicianBrian
KENMORE REFRIGERATOR NOT COOLING, FREEZER COLD

Started by whit

Replies: 3
Views: 6059
Last post December 17, 2008, 06:52:14 AM
by whit
GE Refrigerator is warm but freezer is cold

Started by Nick1971

Replies: 1
Views: 2726
Last post June 20, 2009, 07:35:07 PM
by JWWebster
GE Profile Refrigerator and freezer not cold enough

Started by Dougj

Replies: 5
Views: 8326
Last post July 13, 2009, 04:37:30 PM
by JWWebster
Freezer is cold, but refrigerator is not.

Started by Q451990

Replies: 3
Views: 2017
Last post October 29, 2009, 10:20:49 PM
by whirlpooltech
Refrigerator area not getting cold, freezer area with some buildup

Started by buzzbabyjesus

Replies: 16
Views: 5342
Last post July 01, 2010, 05:25:41 PM
by Repair-man