Author Topic: Dishwasher not washing  (Read 3498 times)

Offline Don S.

• VIP Member
Dishwasher not washing
« on: December 06, 2008, 10:49:04 PM »
I am mechanical. I have been a tech myself in the past but not on dishwashers obviously. ;D All seems fine except wash cycle, so I disassembles the whole lower unit. Here are the findings. The plastic sleeve that goes over the motor shaft is cracked and stripped out now so that splines on the shaft will not turn the impeller for the wash cycle. The part is not shown on a breakdown anywhere no matter what site I look it up on. Even the diagram from my local parts store does not show it. Its exactly 2 1/2 inches long. The impeller actually snaps onto the end of it. :embarrassed:
So where is this part listed? At this point I am thinking that its all part of ordering a whole new motor and pump assembly for 160 bucks. If thats the case you know what is going to happen to it. :tickedoff: I cant believe that would be the case since it all seems so easily serviceable. I hope you can help me to find a part number or kit just for the pump assembly.
Thanks for the help
Don S.

Model GLDB653SJ0

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: Dishwasher not washing
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2008, 09:25:26 AM »
Don what you are looking at is probably the remainder of the old seal. It needs to come off the shaft before you can put the new kit on there. pictured below is a generic dishwasher kit. I was unable to get your model to come up but I have rebuilt several of these type and every one of them had that plastic sleeve melted to the shaft. I just used my pocket knife to get the sleeve off.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 09:32:31 AM by JWWebster »
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline RegUS_PatOff

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 09:58:02 AM »
 GLDB653SJ0
 GLDB653JS0   :o   RegUS_PatOff

GLDB653JS0 Service Manual

« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 10:12:33 AM by RegUS_PatOff »
After leaving this Earth, "Do you want the smoking or non-smoking section?"

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008, 10:02:54 AM »
Reg that link ain't working
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline RegUS_PatOff

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2008, 10:03:47 AM »
Reg that link ain't working
I'm working on it  :) ... fixed
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 10:14:45 AM by RegUS_PatOff »
After leaving this Earth, "Do you want the smoking or non-smoking section?"

Offline Don S.

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2008, 10:11:18 PM »
I think that helps. Thanks, but, I dont see that sleeve pictured. I guess I will try to make it to my local parts warehouse and see the seal kit in person and verify the plastic shaft is in there.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2008, 12:16:22 PM »
The new sleeve is inside the new seal (that black thingy in the middle)
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Don S.

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2008, 10:04:47 PM »
JW,
     I appreciate your input sincerely I do. I am sure I am still missing it somewhere and its on my side but again I do not see a part that is shaped like a pencil 2 1/2 inches long, made of white plastic in the picture above by the little black thingy in the middle. I am going to go to parts warehouse tomorrow and get one of these kits in my hands somehow. I understand that the little black thing is part of the seal for the shaft but my problem is the sleeve the motor shaft goes into and has splines on the inside of it. I am sure I am missing something. Like I said I used to be a tech and I worked with these parts breakdowns everyday so I know how they can be. Thanks again! O0

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2008, 09:58:00 AM »
On the ones I worked on you would put the pump housing back on the motor then slide the seal on the motor shaft , then tighten down the impeller which is right hand threads. This compresses the seal onto the shaft and if you get it too tight the motor won't turn. So just snug it down. The next thing is the metal spacer then the plastic plate and then the chicken bone screen screws on there with backwards threads using the back of you pocket knife blade. Then the nut grader goes on last. Do not run the machine dry. Pour water in before you power it up.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Don S.

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2008, 02:36:07 PM »
       OK, now I think I am figuring this out. This unit is not like you have described so my design is different. I understand the seal on the shaft, etc. I made it to the parts supply warehouse today and they show the same parts diagram you do. (above) It does not show the part that is bad on my unit. As a matter of fact it doesn't even show it. All they said is you have to spend 170 bucks for the whole thing, motor and all and that part will be in there even though its not showing.
       Lets see if I can explain my disassembly to you. Simple, take out 4 screws around the  motor shroud. Take it off. Pull motor out of plastic sleeve and it falls right out in your hand. Now you are looking at the end of the plastic sleeve which supports the seal, macerator and impeller. Take screw out of end of impeller (inside the dishwasher), squeeze clip ears together to release and the plastic sleeve will fall into your hand with the rubber seals around it. From that point there is no need to take it any further apart.
       That plastic sleeve is pencil shaped, 2 1/2 inches long is cracked and will not allow the splines on the motor shaft to mate into the plastic splines inside the sleeve and therefore be able to turn the impeller. No impeller turning,  no washing, just a motor spinning freely inside a stripped and cracked plastic sleeve. I really hope this rings a bell with somebody and connect me with a way to get this simple part. Once its in my hands I can have this thing together in 10 minutes or less, I guarantee. I really appreciate any info. :-\

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair Help
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2008, 03:02:46 PM »
All they said is you have to spend 170 bucks for the whole thing, motor and all and that part will be in there even though its not showing.

I believe this is because there has been a design change in the pump/motor assembly.
This is also way you can not get the parts you need for the old design that you have.

Frigidaire Dishwasher Not Washing

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 0
Views: 4906
Last post April 23, 2008, 10:10:20 PM
by TechnicianBrian
Kenmore Dishwasher will not start washing

Started by lisaww

Replies: 2
Views: 3417
Last post July 24, 2009, 06:45:37 PM
by lisaww
Washing Error problem - Fridgidaire Dishwasher

Started by malam

Replies: 1
Views: 2065
Last post March 15, 2010, 08:13:36 AM
by Repair-man
Thermador dishwasher keeps washing but never drains

Started by shillion

Views: 659
Last post May 17, 2012, 04:52:28 AM
by shillion
LG Dishwasher was quiet, but now running loudly, but still washing

Started by vwforonda

Replies: 6
Views: 1935
Last post December 20, 2012, 07:13:30 AM
by wildimaginations
Whirlpool Dishwasher GU1200XTLQ1 Dead, clean light blinks.

Started by barb

Views: 5081
Last post August 11, 2007, 08:05:47 AM
by barb