Author Topic: Maytag Performa dryer squeaking  (Read 11885 times)

Offline neustkg

• VIP Member
Maytag Performa dryer squeaking
« on: December 04, 2008, 08:34:53 PM »
I think my Maytag Performa (model #PYE4500AYW) might be on its last legs. For over a year, it would squeak a little, but not all the time. Now, when you turn it on, it squeaks/squeals all the time, sometimes very noisily. I'm afraid it might be bearings. Is there any hope? Could it possibly be a belt? Do I just use it until it dies, and if so, how long does it have to live?

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: Maytag Performa dryer squeaking
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 09:46:40 PM »
probably needs a couple of cylinder glide kits. The glides on the front of the tumbler(drum) wear down to metal to metal just like brake shoes.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline neustkg

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 10:33:52 PM »
Would the Cylinder glide kits be easy for me to replace?  I know how to take the top and the front panel off of my dryer.  Had to do that to replace the thermal fuse and also to vacuum out the door.

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 05:23:16 AM »
Order the LA1008 roller kit shown below to solve the squeak problem. Instructions included.

"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2008, 01:24:15 PM »
Well you probably need rollers also. You need to get into the dryer and take a look see.
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline neustkg

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2008, 03:03:13 PM »
I lifted the top and took off the front.  Looking down on the top of the tumbler, I noticed a brown streak on the front part of the tumbler.  Looks like it might be the roller (front).  I heard there is also a rear roller?  I called my local parts store and got a price of $42 for the kit for the front (I'll have to special order it as they don't have it in stock).  I checked the glide strip (located on the door opening) and it doesn't look that worn.  I was able to carefully start the dryer with the front off and I noticed the sqeaking coming from the top of the motor (at least I'm hoping it's the top of the motor and not the motor itself).  I guess I'll have to disassemble the thing so I can actually look at the rollers.

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2008, 03:15:37 PM »
I'll have to special order it as they don't have it in stock

Just enter your model number in the top left corner search box to see a diagram of your dryer.
You can also order the parts you need from there as they are in stock when I checked.

You dryer uses two rollers (LA-1008) for the rear of the drum and two pads (LA-1006 or AP41594) for the front of the drum.

Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline neustkg

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2008, 04:11:16 PM »
I might order from your site as your prices are good.  However, I couldn't find the LA-1008 item number.  Is there a AP number for this kit?

Also, I tried looking up AP41594 and nothing came up.  It looks like you might have left out a number (AP followed by 6 numbers).

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2008, 04:27:37 PM »
However, I couldn't find the LA-1008 item number
Hmm, Try these two links.

Manufacturer's Number: LA-1008 or AP415951 icon

Manufacturer's Number: LA-1006 or AP415949 icon

I might order from your site as your prices are good.

Thanks, but just so you know how it works you would be ordering the parts from AppliancePartsPros
We are affiliated with them, but we do not sell any parts ourself.

Any parts you look up though our site and order come from our affiliate (AppliancePartsPros) and we get a kick back from them.

Thanks,  O0

Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline neustkg

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2008, 07:18:00 PM »
Well, I lifted the top and took off the front door panel and did a good vacuuming clean out.  Definitely needed it.  I popped the belt off the motor pulley and removed the drum (and vacuumed more, of course).  I was able to turn the dryer on w/o the drum (probably not recommended) and noticed a very quiet sqeaking sound that seemed to be coming from the small motor pulley, but not too loud (I was thinking great, the motor is done).  Of course, since the drum wasn't in, the two rollers weren't turning.  But I couldn't get it to make the very loud squealing sound.  I put the drum back in and hooked everything back up and dried a load of laundry.  The loud squeal came back and I listened to the outside and the loudest part of the noise seemed to be coming from the back of the dryer, close to where the rollers are located.  So I will order the tollers and see if that fixes the problem.  I figure at $33 before shipping on that website, I might take a chance and see if it's the rollers.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2008, 07:35:54 PM »
Did you oil the rollers? Zoom spout oil costs 2 bucks, can be purchased at ACE hardware. Temp resistant and recommended by HVAC peeps and appliance repairmen everywhere.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 07:37:29 PM by JWWebster »
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline neustkg

• VIP Member
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2008, 09:01:46 PM »
No I didn't, but we do have an Ace hardware.

Seems I'm having other issues w/the dryer.  It was running very loud and stopped by itself about 20 minutes into the cycle and I smelled a burning smell.  I wasn't able to restart it (so I suspected maybe lint blockage between the blower motor back to where the dryer vent exits the house.  I took the dryer apart again and disconnected the belt.  I tried to spin the motor shaft (by spinning the blower fan) and noticed a loud buzzing sound, so it seems that motor is going.  I also spun both rollers and the left rear roller spins OK w/o much noise.  The right one makes noise similar to the one I heard.  I disconnected one of the wires connecting the fuse and touched it to the other lead and turned on the dryer and it started and spun the drum when I got it back together.  I turned it on again and it ran for 5 minutes and shut off again.  So I might take the hose off the back tomorrow and make sure there is no obstruction in the dryer vent system behind the dryer.  But I'm starting to think the motor is almost done, as well as one of the rollers (but that's cheap replacement).  I'm assuming a new motor is very expensive and not worth my replacing.  What do you think?

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2008, 10:45:15 PM »
Well the motor is probo shot no doubt. try drilling out the rotton cotton wells at each end of the throwaway non repairable motor and filling them with zoom oil just for fun. I use an 1/8th inch drill bit an I am careful not to ding the shaft. i fill the motor endbells with oil and work the shaft a bit. Works sometimes sometimes don't.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline neustkg

• VIP Member
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2008, 11:37:01 PM »
Looks like I was able to start the dryer again after it sat 15 minutes.  But it sounds like the motor is under some strain trying to start (makes a noise then starts up).  It'll run a few minutes then shut off.

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2008, 04:40:02 AM »
The motor is a $100 part. To most logical folks this is not as expensive as a new $400 dryer. Replace it and the rollers and get on with life :)
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Maytag Performa Dryer stopped working

Started by delllaa

Replies: 2
Views: 3227
Last post May 21, 2008, 12:00:52 PM
by JWWebster
Maytag Performa Dryer Belt

Started by trialnerror

Replies: 6
Views: 7853