Author Topic: Basic Outlet/Electric question  (Read 2705 times)

Offline Agrajag

• VIP Member
Basic Outlet/Electric question
« on: December 03, 2008, 01:09:32 PM »
Guys, I have a basic electrical wiring question.

I put up a dart board in my basement and picked up a pair of rack-like lighting bars. Each bar has 3 halogen 50w bulbs on it. I have them mounted to the ceiling so that they form a sort of runway as you walk towards to board. Very nice lighting with minimal shadows cast onto the board.

Anyway, both of these have their own power/dial to turn them on and off and to set the amount of light. They also have standard cords (9 feet) that end in a regular outlet plug (one bigger than the other so it has to go in the right way).

What I want to do is cut the cords and run them into a box and connect everything to a Lutron dual switch (one for each light) and then out the bottom to end in one single outlet plug. I'll use one of the sections I cut from either light for this outlet. This will allow me to set the lights once, as I like them, and then control their power without having to reach up and turn two dials and get them just the way I like them every time.

LATER I'll eliminate the outbound power cord entirely and tap this into the existing power lines already there but that's for a much later job.

My question is about the right way to connect the Lutron switch. It has 4 screws (not counting ground). Two on the right are marked common and two on the left are listed as A1 (top) and B1 (bottom).

I'm a bit confused about what goes where? I'll have two wires from each light (one is marked with a white stripe on each) and then two wires from the plug. Can anyone tell me where each would go so that I don't fry anything after plugging this in? I'm generally pretty good with basic wiring (I repair my own coach lights and such) but this one I just want to get right on the first shot.

Thanks.

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
Re: Basic Outlet/Electric question
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 03:34:57 PM »
Careful! A dimmer switch such as the Lutron might not provide the same resistance as in the on-board controls of the light track. Only Lutron knows for sure...click here .

"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline Earl Dryer

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 06:22:54 PM »
Sounds to me that you have a standard dual light switch.  Connect the 2 white
wires (or the ones that go to the large blade on the plug) to the neutral (white)
of the source. connect the Hot (black) to one of the common screws on the switch and the other 2 leads (not grounds) 1 to each of the 2 screws on the other side of the switch. You will be in bussiness.

Offline Agrajag

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 10:59:52 PM »
I wouldn't call it standard but it's close enough. It's not a dimmer. It's one of their dual rocker switch units.

Thanks for the help. That sounds like a nice Thursday project.

Offline Agrajag

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2008, 06:02:22 AM »
Let me get a verification of whether I have this right.

Remember we have A1 and B1 (left side) and A-Common and B-Common (right side) on the switch itself

Then I have:

Light 1:

White1 goes to A1
Black1 goes to A-Common

Light 2:

White2 goes to B1
Black2 goes to A-Common (shares with Black1)

Plug (for plugging into outlet):

White3 goes to A1 (shares with White1)
Black3 goes to B1 (shares with White2)

I'm a bit confused about the Plug connections as suddenly the ordering of the wires that go to the big prong (white stripe) seem to be lost in that setup.

Offline Agrajag

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2008, 12:14:22 PM »
I guess some people find it difficult to read subject headers.... I'm always amazed at the number of people who feel compelled to read something that doesn't interest them and then ridicule others for their stupidity.

Jetman, this is an appliance repair forum and I've gotten great help here before but this is the GENERAL DISCUSSION SECTION of the website and several people here are talented beyond just repairing appliances. If you cannot fathom that then I'm sorry for your difficulty.

Offline Earl Dryer

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2008, 03:38:25 PM »
the 2 screws on the rt are common (same terminal) the 2 screws on the left are switch 1&2. All of the White wires go together (With a wire nut) each black from
the lights go 1 to A1 the other to B1. The hot from your power source goes to
one of the common screws put the black from the new plug to the other common screw. You wil be set.

MOVED: Sears Basic Electric Test

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 436
Last post November 19, 2013, 05:00:29 PM
by AJ
Question for appliance repair techs

Started by maypo52

Replies: 8
Views: 4439
Last post January 12, 2008, 09:57:00 PM
by accapp