Author Topic: Need repair manual for GE Refrigerator Top Freezer  (Read 11835 times)

Offline testguyct

• VIP Member
Need repair manual for GE Refrigerator Top Freezer
« on: December 01, 2008, 04:09:00 PM »
Hello, I am new to this forum.  I have a GE top freezer refrigerator model # GTS22KBPARWW. It's 5 years old. Recently, the freezer was running fine, but the refrigerator was warm.  I shut down and unplugged the refrigerator, and removed the interior rear freezer panel to expose the coils.  The coils were all frosted up.  I used a hair dryer on low heat, high fan to defrost the coils.  I reassembled the freezer, plugged the refrigerator back in, and everything is running fine.  I placed a thermometer in both the freezer and refrigerator compartments to verify. 
I'm guessing something is wrong with the defrost components, and I suspect that this problem will occur again shortly.  I want to be prepared with a repair manual in hand, just in case it does happen.

Thanks in advance.

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
Re: Need repair manual for GE Refrigerator Top Freezer
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 04:44:34 PM »
You'll have to settle for professional advice instead. Take an OHM mter and check continuity on the heater and defrost thermostat.
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 09:05:37 PM »
It is aggrevating trying to see what kind of defrost control you have, I just spent 30 minutes of my life trying to find out. I suspect you have an adaptive defrost control. I don't know why GE has to be so frigginf secretive about their mess. Everyone knows their stuff sucks.Their parts management sucks as bad as my typin.  :2funny:
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline testguyct

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 07:43:04 AM »
Thanks for your replies.

Offline smithlpoole

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 12:38:23 PM »
GE appears to be secretive with everything including a repair manual for the fridge I have.  They have them for the ones with the digital dials but they're hard to find for the one with manual turning dials.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 02:32:41 PM »
I was thinking you need to find the defrost sensor. It probably is in the form of some sort of thermister. The board needs to know when to defrost and yours isn't defrosting and you have replaced the terminator which shuts down the heater and the heater and the board but so far you have not replaced the defrost sensor have you?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 02:34:21 PM by JWWebster »
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline testguyct

• VIP Member
Re: Need repair manual for GE Refrigerator Top Freezer (GTS22KBPARWW)
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 09:16:54 PM »
I was thinking you need to find the defrost sensor. It probably is in the form of some sort of thermister. The board needs to know when to defrost and yours isn't defrosting and you have replaced the terminator which shuts down the heater and the heater and the board but so far you have not replaced the defrost sensor have you?

JWWebster,

I haven't replaced anything yet.  I only defrosted the coils manually, reassembled, and pluggged it back in.  Everything seemed to be running fine, until about 2 days ago, when I noticed that the freezer was extremely cold (thermometer reading -15 deg F), and the condenser fan is running constantly.  Taped to the underside of the fridge, I found a wiring diagram. It's gonna snow up here in CT tomorrow, so I can keep the fridge food cold outside while I attempt to figure out what's wrong.  :)

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2008, 05:19:10 AM »
Here's where to start, now that you've gone 2 weeks watching the defrost not work...winter will be over soon, then you can bring your food back inside if the coons haven't gotten to it :)

Remove the freezer panel as you did before, after unplugging the fridge. On the frozen evaporator coil  is a heater tube near the bottom, connected in series to a couple of small thermostat discs on the evap. From there, the 2 wires go to a harness connection that can be separated. Separate the  harness and use your OHM meter to check the resistance of the 2 leads going to the  thermostat and heaters. If the reading is open, replace the heater kit (#618 in pic below). Most of them come with the defrost thermostats (terminators) attached, but not on this model. There are 2 defrost thermostats that should be replaced, items #620 & 627 in the pic below. These control how long the heater stays on and will prevent it from heating if they are open. A simple OHM check is all that's standing between you and the bad part.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 05:32:17 AM by Repair-man »

Offline testguyct

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2008, 05:15:44 PM »
Repair-man.

Thanks.  I defrosted the coils using a Shop-Vac in reverse (seems to work faster than a hair dryer).  I disconnected the two leads from each end of the defrost heating element, and my placed the ohmmeter across the heater leads. It read 35 ohms.  I think that I can safely assume that the heating element is ok.  I could not find a connector to separate the 2 defrost thermostats so that I could check the resistance readings.  They appeared to be wired directly.  I also tested the temperature control (part # 330 in the fresh food blow-up diagram).  In the OFF setting (number 0 on the temp. dial) it read open circuit, and it read 0 ohms on any other setting (numbers 1-9 on the temp. dial.)  I'm not sure if this is correct.  Finally, I tested the defrost control timer first by measuring the resistance between the pins.  In one setting, I read 0 ohms between pins 2 and 3.  I turned the screw until I heard a click, and then I read 0 ohms between pins 2 and 4. (correct ?) Between all other pins, the resistance was open-circuit.  I also reassembled the temp. control in the fridge, plugged the fridge back in, and then turned the defrost timer screw manually until the click was heard.  The fridge shut off, but the heating element never got warm (unless I didn't wait long enough - I think I waited about 3 minutes).  I also did not find any way to test the white thermistor attached to the evap. coils (part # 605 on the freezer section blow-up diagram).

I have reassembled everything and plugged 'er back in.  She's now running fine, but where do I go from here ?  Thanks again for everyone's replies.

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2008, 06:10:12 AM »
Here's what you can conclude from your tests:

1. The heater is OK
2. The timer is likely not the issue, since you manually initiated a defrost with no heating.
3. I would replace both defrost thermostats.

The temperature thermister has nothing to do with this  problem, so don't test it for anything.

Offline testguyct

• VIP Member
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2008, 09:22:35 AM »
Here's what you can conclude from your tests:

1. The heater is OK
2. The timer is likely not the issue, since you manually initiated a defrost with no heating.
3. I would replace both defrost thermostats.

The temperature thermister has nothing to do with this  problem, so don't test it for anything.

Repair-man,

Thanks again.  When I replace these thermostats, it appears that I'll have to cut the wires and splice the new thermostats in.  Do you recommend any particular type of connector that will withstand the cold and moisture of the freezer compartment ?

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2008, 11:24:01 AM »
Usually any connectors needed will come in the kit with the part. If not, we use standard orange wire nuts in the field or solderless butt-connectors. Wire-splicing is the least of our concerns, as you may gather.

Offline testguyct

• VIP Member
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2008, 06:21:57 AM »
Thanks Repair-man.  The parts are on order - I will post the results after the parts are replaced.

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2009, 11:20:15 AM »
Any updates for us?
Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline testguyct

• VIP Member
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2009, 02:06:03 PM »
Well, I finally replaced the defrost thermostats.  Here is a picture of the 2 thermostats:

Notice the one on the left - the blue backing is bulging out.  This thermostat had very high cold resistance reading with the ohmmeter - the reading was bouncing all over the place.  The one on the right in the image tested as 0 ohms.

The fridge/freezer is running OK now, but I will have to wait at least 2 or 3 weeks to see if the evap. coils frost up again.  I could not tell if the defrost heating element is working or not.   Maybe I should manually turn the defrost timer to the defrost cycle, and see what the digital thermometer that I placed in the freezer reads.  If the defrost cycle lasts 45 minutes, I would guess that the freezer temp. would rise from 0 deg. F to at least 32-33 deg. F ??

I used wire nuts to install the replacement thermostats.

Need repair manual for GE Refrigerator Top Freezer

Started by sunnah

Replies: 2
Views: 1344
Last post August 17, 2011, 06:17:48 PM
by Tech2000
Samsung Bottom-Mounted Freezer Refrigerator Repair Service Manual

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 1979
Last post October 06, 2011, 10:07:57 PM
by AJ
LG Side by Side Refrigerator Service Repair Manual

Started by AJ

Views: 5794
Last post May 02, 2008, 12:41:41 PM
by AJ
16010154 Maytag Refrigerator Service Repair Manual

Started by AJ

Views: 3191
Last post May 16, 2008, 07:56:32 PM
by AJ
LG French Door Refrigerator LRF** Service Repair Manual

Started by AJ

Views: 8197
Last post July 07, 2008, 09:42:35 PM
by AJ
R-107 2008 Double Drawer Whirlpool Refrigerator / Freezer Under Counter Service Manual

Started by AJ

Views: 2137
Last post August 20, 2009, 12:55:32 PM
by AJ