Author Topic: G&S repair  (Read 6038 times)

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: G&S repair
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2008, 10:13:51 PM »
Natural gas or propane?

Offline angelodp

• VIP Member
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2008, 10:43:52 PM »
natural gas

Offline angelodp

• VIP Member
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2008, 10:44:33 PM »
how involved is replacing that ??

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2008, 04:56:16 AM »
You guys are edging off-track here...if she really did replace the ignitor in such a short time (with no model number) and it still is sluggish to light, the gas valve has a bad warp switch most likely. That is assuming that the correct ignitor was installed. If the amperage does not match what is on the old ignitor, this will cause the valve not to open correctly.  Did anyone mention to this reader that the oven is supposed to take 45 seconds or so to light anyway? This is what happens without a model number to begin with.

Get those burner holes cleaned up so the gas can light  right at the ignitor and see if this helps. I doubt you will find a replace ment gas valve for this G&S oven but with a model number we can check..
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 05:40:13 AM by Repair-man »
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2008, 08:15:32 AM »
Well you are down to the gas safety valve and the pressure regulator. Since the regulator is 20 bucks and the valve is considerably more money and harder to replace.
I would turn the gas off, remove the regulator and see if gas comes out of it for a sec.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline angelodp

• VIP Member
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2008, 11:23:35 AM »
She is a he.... LOL.... I took the old igniter in and was told the new one was the correct replacement. I don't think the problem is the igniter.  By the way I just did a test with the door closed and right at 45 seconds it did not light so i opened the oven blew a bit of air in and wham it lit right up. I also tried adjusting that air slot, but no help there. The gas co. is coming out on Sat. so hopefully they will see the culprit. you are all very kind to continue to recommend adjustments. Should I try a longer waiting period for ignition,i am afraid of an explosion in the lower broiler if too much gas builds up ??

Offline angelodp

• VIP Member
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2008, 11:28:42 AM »
Oh, another thought what is the function of that nut on the bottom of the air slot assembly, I tried tweaking that with the oven on but it did nothing. BTW my camera is a Canon Power Shot SD800IS, nothin special. How long is it supposed to take for an oven to come up to 350.
Is it weird that with some air moving ( my blowing in air ) that i can get it lit??

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2008, 11:31:59 AM »
The nut raises and lowers the flame. Did you try and remove the burner and see if anything is in it that may cause the gas to be obstructed like a cobweb?
Their are 2 adjustments. The orifice(nut) allows for more or less gas and the air shutter(mounted on the base of the burner) allows for more or less air. Try opening the air shutter wide open, Note: you may get a yellow flame so close the shutter a little at a time till the flame turns a pretty blue. You have to get the air/gas mix right. I was wondering though had anybody been messing with this stuff when the original ignitor went bad? Because pretty much they get all of that stuff working right at the factory before it goes out.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 11:43:57 AM by JWWebster »
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline angelodp

• VIP Member
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2008, 11:50:24 AM »
Its been here since 59. Had the clock rebuilt last year. tried those adjustments until the flame was pretty blue??

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2008, 01:34:37 PM »
when was the last time you replaced the gas oven's pressure regulator?
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline angelodp

• VIP Member
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2008, 08:24:54 PM »
maybe 10 yeras. How would that affect things??

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2008, 09:58:14 PM »
well replace the gas safety valve as repair man suggests.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline angelodp

• VIP Member
fixed
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2008, 06:49:59 PM »
 :D  Ok the gas guy came out and simply opened that nut you pointed out until the correct amount of gas flowed.... flame was way low. So I was too conservative in backing the nut off, but you had the right idea. Thanks for the help though,

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2008, 07:32:23 PM »
I wonder how dat nut got tightened down? :D
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline angelodp

• VIP Member
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2008, 09:59:27 PM »
i think I know..... we has this russian repair guy years ago ( PITA guy ) who did some minor work and I had to call him back to undo some sloppy work. i think he set it to that level years ago and i have been living with it thinking that the oven was getting old and just took a long time to get up to speed. i'm sure he ( the rusky ) though we would call him back to fix it. BTW nothing against russians ... luv em .... but this guy was a jerk. So I'm gla that its back to normal and I can get back to cooking up all the great things we usually used to do with no fear of temp or timing issues.

cheers  A

Dynasty Service Repair Manual

Started by jtnicholson

Replies: 8
Views: 2808
Last post May 29, 2012, 10:53:47 PM
by JWWebster
8178194 Whirlpool Polar Range Service Repair Manual

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 3113
Last post March 24, 2008, 07:46:50 AM