Author Topic: OVerfill Protection Float Assy Leaks Under Unit Whirlpool Gold GU1500 Dishwasher  (Read 5410 times)

Offline mjoyce1111

• VIP Member
Just installed used GU1500.  The overfill protection float assy is leaking under unit.  I removed the single screw holding the assy to the unit.  There are no cracks in the housings.  There are no replacable washers.  The waster must be coming down the float stem.

Before replacing the assy, I'm curious to see if anyone has any suggestions for stopping the leak.

Thanx in advance.

Model Number: GU1500 icon

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
2 questions-

1. Is the water actually overfilling?
2. If not, are there suds in the tub during the wash?
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline mjoyce1111

• VIP Member
It's diff to say if the water is overfilliing.  From under the unit i watch the overfill stem ride up/down tripping the relay to shut off the water intake.  That leads me to believe the water is overfilling from time-to-time.  The leak doesn't start until later in the cycle (tested normal and antibacterial so far).  THe first fill completes and drains without a leak.

Yes, there are suds.

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
The sudsing makes the unit leak, and it will do so right thru the water float stem.

Your water is too soft and you should try tablet detergent instead of what you are currently using to cut down on sudsing. Dishwasher detergent is desgned to work in semi-hard water (4-11 gr.)  If it is introduced into conditioned water, it  will oversuds. In an ideal situation, there will be no sudsing whatsoever in a dishwasher. The detergent is only supposed to suspend the grease and food soil until it can be drained away.

Change and reduce the detergent you use and check for better results.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 04:09:09 AM by Repair-man »
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline mjoyce1111

• VIP Member
Thanx for the replies!  I was able to stop the leak, by turning back the water pressure at the waterfill (suggested by a plumber I contacted).  I closed the hot water shutoff under the sink and then opened it half-way.  There is less water filling, enough for the cycles and no leak!
We actually have fairly hard water (most in the neighborhood use softeners).  My brother has the same unit and i opened the door at the same point in his cycle where my unit leaks.  His water level was lower than mine (suds in both were subjectively equal).
I suspect root cause to be a difference in timers, water pressure or fill valves.

Whirlpool dishwasher runs great, but door leaks like crazy

Started by Aaronbond1973

Replies: 38
Views: 39736
Last post August 04, 2013, 12:11:43 PM
by yogifredbrown
Whirlpool Gold dishwasher

Started by debiholtzman

Replies: 2
Views: 1830
Last post February 16, 2009, 06:46:34 PM
by jumptrout51