Author Topic: Lady Kenmore portable 110V clothes dryer heating element does not turn off  (Read 3058 times)

Offline mizzn1t

• VIP Member
I bought a used dryer that had a note on it, "Needs a heater." I dismantled it to troubleshoot. I found a wire to a thermostat or fuse had broken off. It's location is midway near the bottom. I secured it. I had to clean the unit before I could continue. Lint + was backed up in the interior ductwork to where it didn't belong... I checked all the connections. A friend came over and greased the bearings. He reassembled it but missed a hole. It was misaligned. We still plugged it in. It started right up. It was buzzing indicating the end of the cycle. It came without a knob so I used vise grips to set the cycle timer to 5 O'Clock. It ran beautifully except the element does not turn off unless the plug is pulled. If the door is opened the tumbling stops. The element is still burns. If the cycle ends and the dryer stops turning the element keeps burning. Could the filthy ductwork have caused something to burn out? Can't find any info re this old unit. After a while it began to make noise. I figured it was the misalignment.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Since the drum was misaligned maybe the element shorted against it burned in 2 and arced across the pan. Better get er apart and do autopsy percy.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Replacing the Heating Element on a Kenmore Serise 70 Electric Dryer

Started by jracmm

Replies: 1
Views: 1564
Last post December 02, 2008, 07:34:16 PM
by JWWebster
Kenmore Model 70 electric dryer heating element 279838

Started by kjb

Replies: 1
Views: 4272
Last post April 24, 2010, 12:47:40 PM