Author Topic: CAV4004AWW replacing a snubber ring on my magic chef washer  (Read 2513 times)

Offline ja11779

• VIP Member
CAV4004AWW replacing a snubber ring on my magic chef washer
« on: November 27, 2008, 03:57:29 PM »
  I have a 2004 magic chef washing machine that continues to dance all over the floor. It is on a concrete slab, and level. I have read that I may have a snubber ring that causes this issue. The springs are all intact. My questions are; after removing the dust cap, retainer ring, and cam ( including all the springs located on the suspention housing.) so that the drive pully can come off. Will the entire basket be able to lift out of the washing machine housing; and if so,can you clamp the break rotor and lining assembly to the suspention housing so that the break steater can be removed and the snubber can be replaced? If not I have read that you have to replace the machine nuts 5/16 already there with longer ones 2" ( one at a time so that you have room to replace the snubber. One you do this do you have to replace the original bolts bact into the unit?Now on the CAV4004AWW there is a lower cam, does that just get replaced back or is ther an additional adjustment that needs to be done so that the washer operates correctly?

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
Re: replacing a snubber ring on my magic chef washer
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2008, 05:17:27 AM »
Your machine is made on the Maytag Performa platform. Any and all service literature that applies to Performa also applies to your machine, so find the Performa manual on this website and get busy :)

You cannot do this repair unless you  have the $100 brake tool from Maytag.

All the other stuff you heard elsewhere is not true. No screws have to be replaced, etc. This is a straighforward repair, you  simply have to do it right. Asthe instructions show in the manual, the snubber ring is lubricated only with plain cornstarch, so have some handy to sprinkle around the snubber base when you have replaced the Delrin ring. This is done to prevent any oil or grease from getting on the area. If your lower seal on the transmission is leaking oil, it will also cause the machine to stay wobbly. If you have signs of oil under there, specially under the white cap on he drive pulley, you'll need more than the snubber.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 05:21:31 AM by Repair-man »
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

magic chef washer lazy spin

Started by jamesbd

Replies: 10
Views: 2819
Last post January 30, 2009, 07:57:47 PM
by JWWebster
Magic Chef Washer makes sound when spinning

Started by Jaytag

Replies: 3