Author Topic: New Kitchen Appliances  (Read 1547 times)

Offline Zidane

• VIP Member
New Kitchen Appliances
« on: December 01, 2008, 12:21:11 AM »
Hi Everyone,

I just came across this wonderful forum tonight as I was researching the purchase of new kitchen appliances. I was hoping to get some advice on how to proceed and would very much appreciate any thoughts you may have since the discussion here seems very sensible.

The Scenario: I am in the middle of a complete kitchen remodel in a house that we just purchased. We plan to live here quite a long time. After some re-arranging of the space, I've reached the point where I need to make some decisions on appliances. My main concern is reliability/quality and function, and I tend to favor simplicity in design. I have to say that my wife is ultimately most concerned with reliability and function, but would like to have some good looks too and is relying on me to find the reliability. For example, she likes the GE Cafe Dual Fuel Range. I have a hunch that it is not a good way to spend $2000+.

So, to the point:
In general, Any brands to avoid?
Any favorites?

Fridge: I like the bottom freezer, single door. 22-25cf. I have looked at some GE and GE Profile scratch and dents. We were thinking to avoid ice and water - to minimize problems. Any thoughts?

Range/Cooktop/Oven: I would prefer downdraft to keep clear over the top of the cooktop. Options seem limited. I have heard bad things about Jenn Air. I saw a GE downdraft cooktop (#PGP990). Is anyone familiar with it? Are there any fixed downdraft units for the rear of the cooktop (similar to the telescopic units)? We have a half wall behind the cooktop counter that gives a 15" backsplash. A unit would fit there nicely, but I would prefer no moving parts.

I have read about ranges that have very little in the way of electronics (like American Ranges) - a posting the American Range on this forum brought me here. Aren't you happy? It seems like $2000 would be about the budget for such a piece?

Microwave: We will probably just get a small countertop unit and build a shelf for it in the cabinetry.

Dishwasher: I'm not as concerned about this right now. We mainly handwash and may leave a hole to later fill with a DW. If you have anything you just need to say about dishwashers, though, let me know.

Thank you so much. I hope you can guide me away from the mis-steps I fear I might make with this big purchase.

Offline Zidane

• VIP Member
Re: New Kitchen Appliances
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 01:07:30 AM »
For the American Range, I should have said $3000. I think one of my biggest questions is whether it is worth paying that much for what appears to be a great and simple appliance versus maybe $1500-$2000 for a high-end ge, etc. Or am I just wasting my money in all cases. Should I be looking at a lower price point?
Thanks again!!!

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 04:03:57 AM »
I have to say that my wife is ultimately most concerned with reliability and function, but would like to have some good looks too ....

Mine said the same thing about me :)

You did happen to notice that this is a repair forum, not  consumer reports? After looking at all the Brands we help fix here, do any stand out as being more or less prone to repairs than others?       Not really, and certainly not GE.

If you ask a car salesman which one to buy, he'll likely steer you to the one he can sell you parts for later...appliances are no different.There is no good advice for appliances except to get the ones you can buy parts for easily and cheaply later. Reliability? Hah!

My advice:
 Buy what makes mama happy, especially since she has to hand-wash the dishes.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 04:35:32 AM by Repair-man »
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline Zidane

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 08:54:26 AM »
Buy what makes mama happy, especially since she has to hand-wash the dishes.

Good advice. I'm still learning how this all works. I did buy her some comfy slippers because she kept complaining about how cold the kitchen floor was. She wasn't so grumpy after that. Imagine what the Cafe will do!

So....all of the brands are more-or-less the same? Any other thoughts on that?
What about going from basic to Profile to Cafe (or equivalent for other brands)?

Is an American Range worth looking into?

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 10:13:29 AM »
I would avoid GE. Get a top end gas range that dies not require electricity. I would go for a commercial dishwasher. Stay away from electronics if you want long lasting appliances.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 10:16:16 AM by JWWebster »
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Zidane

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 08:12:35 AM »
Thanks JW,
Do you know anything about American Range? Would that fall in the category you are recommending?

Kitchen appliance recommendations

Started by maypo52

Replies: 9
Views: 2863
Last post January 31, 2014, 10:13:00 PM
by afterblast
Electrical Theory and Diagnosis of Major Appliances

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 1313
Last post September 20, 2008, 07:53:44 AM
by AJ
New Appliances lasting as long as old ones?

Started by Doh

Replies: 4
Views: 1534
Last post November 02, 2008, 11:39:49 AM
by theoldstoveguy
Need a Christmas Idea for A Kitchen Repairman.

Started by Monkeymom

Replies: 2
Views: 1058
Last post December 11, 2008, 01:45:58 PM
by whirlpooltech
Moen kitchen faucet

Started by JWWebster

Replies: 11
Views: 4992
Last post August 01, 2009, 12:18:14 AM
by chiknstik
F&P Appliances Goes to 35-Hour Week to Save Jobs