Author Topic: Kitchenaid Refrigerator not Making Ice  (Read 8218 times)

Offline TechnicianBrian

• Technician
    • TechnicianBrian.com
Kitchenaid Refrigerator not Making Ice
« on: November 28, 2008, 08:55:10 AM »

Model #KSRA25CNBT00icon, this side by side refrigerator was operating properly, but the ice maker had stopped producing ice. The customer was sure water was getting the ice maker because she could get water from the door dispenser. The ice maker control was in the on position and the ice bucket was sitting properly in the freezer door which means it isn't blocking the infrared beam. Since the simple stuff was covered, looks like it's time to dig a bit deeper.

The ice maker in this unit, much like all the other Whirlpool made units, is referred to as a modular ice maker. So called because of the module mounted to the front side that provides the motor movement and electrical control during the ice production process. The module contains the drive motor and all the electrical pathways that enable it to control all portions of the ice production cycle from water fill to ice harvest. And probably the greatest benefit of the modular system is the ability to quickly diagnose and repair the problem.

Usually when I trouble shoot a modular ice maker issue, I start by going through some basic tests that I talk about in this previous post. These tests work on any module system, but on the Kitchenaid models that use the electronic control inside the freezer door, we must also do a couple more things to ensure our testing is accurate. First, actuate the freezer door switch so the interior light is out. Seconds, close the left side control cover so it is flat against the side panel. This will ensure we have power to the ice maker from the control board before we start our tests.
With the ice maker pulled from the mounting rails, I removed the module cover to get access to the test points. The first thing I did notice was the ice stripper fingers were in the 10 o'clock position when looking from the front. Home position would normally be 2 o'clock, which tells me this unit stopped in the middle of a cycle. A quick voltage check at the appropriate test points shows 119vac to the ice maker. If you have voltage to your modular ice maker and it isn't working, the module needs to be replaced.

I did a couple other quick checks just to make sure the fill tube wasn't frozen and the water valve was working, then installed a new moduleicon to the front of this ice maker. Before leaving, I initiated a harvest cycle to test the new units operation and to get the ice production started quickly for the customer.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: Kitchenaid Refrigerator not Making Ice
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2008, 09:36:49 PM »
Good post Brian. If we get 120 volts at T and H then the bi metal is open. Cool. L and V jumped  activates the water valve. Dude you are the man.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline TechnicianBrian

• Technician
    • TechnicianBrian.com
Re: Kitchenaid Refrigerator not Making Ice
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 08:40:08 AM »
Thanks JW,

The modules on these ice makers make testing simple, and allows for component testing and trouble shooting without moving the unit.  Just the way I like it.

Brian

Kitchenaid Refrigerator Not Making Ice

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 0
Views: 2116
Last post April 26, 2008, 11:25:19 PM
by TechnicianBrian
Kitchenaid Refrigerator Not Making Ice

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 0
Views: 1554
Last post May 16, 2008, 06:58:20 PM