Author Topic: Maytag Admiral Dryer Knocking  (Read 5069 times)

Offline deborah

• VIP Member
Maytag Admiral Dryer Knocking
« on: November 25, 2008, 11:25:18 AM »
Hi,

My mom gave me this dryer.  When the dryer is started there is a loud knocking sound that diminishes a little as the dryer runs, but persists and is loud and annoying.  The dryer blows hot air (not as hot as my former dryer).  It does not sound good.  I would like to open this dryer up and repair if possible.

I was prepared to open up the back until I read some posts on this forum that this dryer is opened up from the front and top.

I will be opening up the dryer this Sat and would like more detailed info on how to open it up and any ideas on what is making this noise.

Also, this dryer had a cloth type vent hose and I just replaced it with a aluminum vent hose.  Should I put that cloth type vent hose back on and remove the aluminum?

Thank you!
deborah

Model LNC7759A71

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: Maytag Admiral Dryer Knocking
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 11:29:00 AM »
One of your wheels is going bad. Open up the machine and inspect the wheels. When a wheel gets a flat spot in it the noise you describe is caused by that.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 01:15:16 PM »
The Maytag Performa dryer manual on this website sould help you with the opening up. I disagree with JW on the diagnosis, however. From your description, it sounds more like the blower wheel is worn out in the center, causing it to freewheel noisily on the motor shaft.

Cloth vent hose? Never heard of it, but keep the metal vent on there instead. No foil or plastic should be used as venting materials, and certainly not fabric.
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline deborah

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 08:42:06 AM »
Repair-man, thank you for the reference to the Maytag Performa dryer manual for opening up my machine and your advise.

JWWebster, thank you for your advise as well.

I will check both types of wheels.  Are parts readily available for this model?

Regarding the vent hose, when I got the machine from my mom it had a white vent hose ribbed with wire.  I needed to fix-up my wall vent and got an aluminum foil type vent hose also.  Sounds like this foil type vent hose should not be used.  I still have the former vent hose, I will check it to better describe the material.

Thanks!
deborah

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2008, 09:07:02 AM »
They are available but you will have to show them to a parts place or a qualified parts dealer who can redily ID the parts you need. I will be glad to assist.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline deborah

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 10:01:54 AM »
Hi,

Well I downloaded the recommended manual and studied it to prepare to take apart my dryer.  I have fixed a washer twice, but this seems much more daunting to me.  I guess I have to take the drum out to look at the rollers.

Also, I checked the exhaust vent that was formerly on the dryer and it is plastic.  Not sure how long my mom operated the dryer with the plastic vent.  I am pretty sure that was how it was installed.  If the dryer was operated with the plastic vent hose, is it still worth trying to fix the knocking, or am I going to get into bigger issues with this machine.  I just don't see myself repairing heat elements etc.

Thanks,
Deborah

donate
$1, $2, $5, $10, $20, $50

Seeking downloadable manual for Admiral dryer (probably Maytag variant)

Started by JSEhandyman

Replies: 13
Views: 16891
Last post July 09, 2009, 09:49:11 PM
by AJ
304970 Whirlpool, Maytag, Frigidaire, Crosley, Admiral Gas Dryer Igniter

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 3749
Last post May 02, 2009, 09:09:00 AM
by AJ
Manual for Maytag Admiral Dryer

Started by scoobysquared

Replies: 17
Views: 8156
Last post June 14, 2009, 08:35:44 PM
by JWWebster
LDG7304 Maytag Dryer - making a lot of noise.

Started by robert

Replies: 5
Views: 6872
Last post February 20, 2011, 07:33:06 PM
by jumptrout51
Maytag Dryer Problem

Started by jborden

Replies: 10
Views: 7698
Last post August 15, 2007, 12:06:18 PM
by AJ
Video: How to check voltage at cord on a Maytag electric dryer.

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 7049
Last post July 31, 2007, 12:38:27 PM
by AJ