Author Topic: Washer spins but clothes still wet  (Read 7288 times)

Offline Pam W

• VIP Member
Washer spins but clothes still wet
« on: November 23, 2008, 05:17:02 PM »
Model Number: LSQ7030 icon

My washer appears to work fine except the clothes are still wet after the spin.  Had a repair tech come out and even though he could not duplicate the problem he said the transmission is bad and I should replace the washer as repair is $150 for trans and $200 in labor.  Of course, washer is 5 months out of warranty.

I used it for another week and it worked pretty good on slow spin.  So I decide to explore further.  I have checked the hoses and pump, clear.  No clothes between baskets.  Checked the coupling, it's fine.  There is a light spray of oil on the inside of the case (not as bad as your pics) and there is greasy black fibrous material on the floor and on top of the gearcase.

After reading past posts, I am inclined to believe the trans is bad and that the clutch is oily and slipping. So after all, I am considering a new machine. I'm a handy girl but I don't think I'm up for replacing both trans and clutch.

I have one question that I could not find addressed here.  When I move the basket back and forth I hear water sloshing. The outer basket is completely drained. I tipped the washer and still no water comes out.  So where is this water?  Is this indicative of another problem?

Also, if I go with a new machine, do you have recommendations?

This website has been so helpful!  Thanks!

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
Re: Washer spins but clothes still wet
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 05:25:00 PM »
Why not go for just a new clutch and hope that solves it? For less than $40 you can see. Even if the tranny becomes necessary later, you are 1 step ahead. Dropping the tranny to do the job does not require any special tools.

Clutch Replacement Tips

The water you hear sloshing is hidden inside a sealed balance ring atop the tub. For it to slosh means its good. Even if you had to eventually replace the tranny, it's a 30-minute job. Worth investing in versus replacement
« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 05:32:31 PM by Repair-man »
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline Pam W

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 05:32:27 PM »
Even with all the oil present?  Aren't I just delaying the inevitable?  And if it is the trans, won't I end up replacing the replacment clutch?

How about the remaining water? Odd or normal?

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008, 05:34:14 PM »
If there is residual water in the tub, the pump is blocked or not working correctly. Remove the outer cabinet and take loose the hoses to the pump to check for debris. The pump is designed to clear a full tub of water in 70 seconds or less. Anything beyond this means a bad pump or blockage. The tranny may be OK.

Even with all the oil present?  Aren't I just delaying the inevitable?  And if it is the trans, won't I end up replacing the replacment clutch?

These questions don't address the issue. If you have any reservations about accepting the advice you are given based on our experience, then please feel free to buy a new machine. You cannot hurt the clutch by trying it first. A new clutch and a new tranny is half the cost of a new machine. Economically speaking, it is better to repair. Buying a new machine only  puts off the inevitable for a few years anyway.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 05:42:46 PM by Repair-man »
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline Pam W

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2008, 05:41:19 PM »
Sorry the full page did not display so I didn't see the response about the water

All the hoses have been disconnected and checked for blockage so I'm pretty confident that is not the problem. Plus the discharge into the laundry tub is very strong.

I'll look into the clutch replacement but I won't be able to get to it till next weekend.

Thanks!

ge front load washer spins when empty but not with clothes

Started by kellonnie

Replies: 5
Views: 2557
Last post January 30, 2011, 09:49:26 PM
by ryan111
Kenmore clothes washer spins but clothes too wet

Started by ebgfixit

Replies: 2
Views: 1965
Last post February 07, 2011, 06:10:53 PM
by ebgfixit
washer spins but clothes come out soaking wet

Started by jojo1234

Replies: 15
Views: 417
Last post February 01, 2014, 08:20:48 AM
by jojo1234
Whirlpool Washer agitates and spins when it wants to!

Started by tidebatt1

Replies: 48
Views: 15406
Last post March 28, 2008, 02:21:52 PM
by JWWebster
Whirlpool washer LSQ9030PQ5 spins slow or not at all.

Started by rjs

Replies: 3
Views: 3640
Last post December 19, 2007, 01:17:28 AM
by BrntToast
Washer spins but doesn't drain

Started by veryhipp

Replies: 5
Views: 3498
Last post February 25, 2008, 02:05:19 PM
by veryhipp