Author Topic: Whirlpool Washer Agitator Dogs  (Read 5149 times)

Offline hillbe

• VIP Member
Whirlpool Washer Agitator Dogs
« on: November 19, 2008, 05:24:05 PM »
AJ, (new at this; trying to figure out how to post correctly...)

I was attempting to replace the agitator dogs in my Whirlpool washer (mod# LA5668XSW1), but after I removed the agitator from the washer, I couldn't figure out how to get the agitator apart to get to the dogs.  I surfed the web and found this site and saw your post with pictures on how to do it.  Boy, what a life-saver!
However, now that I have it all back together, I hear a scratching noise (I believe its the dogs rubbing on the teeth on the back-stroke).  I expect this is not normal, right?  I'm sure I put the dogs in correctly.  Any ideas?
hillbe

Model Number: LA5668XSW1 icon

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: Whirlpool Washer Agitator Dogs
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 07:01:57 PM »
Ok lets review installing them dawgs: You sit the agitator on the floor, put you feet on the base and snatch the top portion off of the bottom. You put all the dogs back in the cam set them up into the upper portion with a piece of pvc pipe or equivilent and invert onto the base, lining up the tabs on the bottom with the holes in the upper portion being careful not to smash the tabs on the base that hold the upper portion onto the agitator. Snap it all into place and gently re-install it being careful not to over tighten the nut. Is that how you did it?
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline hillbe

• VIP Member
Re: Whirlpool Washer Agitator Dogs
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 04:12:37 PM »
I took the cap off the top of the agitator and I could see that one on the dogs wasn't closing (you know what I mean) all the way.  I couldn't tell if it was just jammed or if it was in backward. 

I took the agitator out of the washer, disassembled, then reassembled.  The dogs fell out when I disassembled so I never got to see why one of the dogs wasn't closing all the way.  Also, I saw where I had mashed one of the tabs and it broke off when I tried to straighten it up.  The remaining tab held the pieces in place and I put the agitator back in the washing machine and bolted it in.  I haven't run it through a wash cycle yet, but just turning the top part of the agitator, the dogs seem to be working as they should now.  Hopefully, I ready to wash clothes now.  Thanks a lot for your help.
hillbe

Video: How to replace the "Dogs" in your Whirlpool washer agitator.

Started by AJ

Replies: 1
Views: 9464
Last post May 25, 2008, 11:09:16 PM
by jean
Whirlpool washer LSQ9010KQ0...Can't seperate Agitator

Started by Matt F.

Replies: 5
Views: 3604
Last post December 16, 2007, 06:09:05 PM
by AJ
Whirlpool Washer Noisy Agitator