Author Topic: GE Side by Side Not Cooling Properly  (Read 20882 times)

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: GE Side by Side Not Cooling Properly
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2008, 01:01:49 PM »
when that thermistatically controled damper opens the cold air from the freezer does the cooling of the freshfood side. Cleaver eh?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 01:39:53 PM by JWWebster »
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline smithlpoole

• VIP Member
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2008, 01:04:52 PM »
But how long should that take?

I guess I'm trying to gauge if there's anything else wrong with the fridge.

I don't know why but I wondered if the defrost heater worked when I got it.

Should I take the rear panel off and check to see if the ice is still packed on?

Offline smithlpoole

• VIP Member
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2008, 01:10:40 PM »
I have a thermometer that I keep in the fridge and have for years.  This is what first brought my attention to the fridge problem.

When I have it on the bottom shelf it's colder and when I have it on the upper shelf it's warmer.

It was registering at about 50 degrees this morning when on the top shelf and I thought that it would have been cooler than that after replacing the main board at about 8:30 pm last night.

Now I've read things that said not to go in your fridge for about 12 hours to let it set and cool properly but that's so difficult with a husband an three children in the home.  Thanksgiving coming around doesn't help much either becuase I'll be in the kitchen for roughly 12 or more hours straight cooking ...going in and out of the fridge.

What do you suggest?

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2008, 01:41:41 PM »
this kind of ice box will take 24 hours to get happy happy.
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline smithlpoole

• VIP Member
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2008, 01:54:28 PM »
ok.

Thanks again for your advice. :2funny:

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving Holiday.

Offline smithlpoole

• VIP Member
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2008, 01:01:12 PM »
For whatever reason that darn defrost heater is not working and we're talking the new one.

You know, when I first melted the evaporator coils with a blow dryer, awaiting the defrost heater to be delivered, the cooling in the freezer/fridge lasted about 8 days...no problems.

Ever since I changed to the new defrost heater, I am getting about half that time and then I have to blow dry the coils again.  I can't tell you why but I've wondered if that darn heater was malfunctioned from the time I bought it.

Also, when I replaced the rear main board on Tuesday night, a fan was running in the freezer nonstop it seemed for days.

After blow drying the freezer the fridge just doesn't seem to go below 40 degrees after about two days and it's just down hill from that.

Now, I'm finding water at the bottom of the fridge and it's getting underneath the flat panel right at the front of the fridge.

I've replaced the defrost heater part # WR51X10030

Main board part # WR55X10942

Defrost thermostat part # WR50X10015 and the temperature sensor part # WR55X10025

What else is there?

The fridge, after a few days, still is getting much cooler below than at the top and the damper is opening and shutting fine.

I can tell you this, since blow drying the coils, the freezer fan is blowing cold air throught the damper... I put my hand next to the damper and the air is very cold as it should be.  I was wondering if it was possible for the frost build up to have been too much when I replaced the main board, i.e., too much for the heater to melt. 

I've put the panel back on but have not screwed it in yet.  I've checked the coils now after having blow dried the frost off and the frost is building up as it should normally.  There are 15 rows of coils in the front and after about 1.5 hours all the coils have frost on them but mostly the bottom 5 - 6 coils in the front (I peek in from the top of the panel).  I'm trying to see if the heater will turn on to melt the frost.

When do you think the heater will come on?

I may call a technician...

Offline smithlpoole

• VIP Member
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2008, 03:43:36 PM »
Okay...everything has been changed and the frost keeps building up on the evaporator coils.

Something isn't working properly. 

Offline smithlpoole

• VIP Member
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2008, 04:01:19 PM »
 I'm Back...still frost building up on Evaporator Cooler

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've replaced the:
1. defrost heater
2. main board
3. defrost thermistat
4. defrost sensor

And the freezer is still building up frost on the evaporator coils.
I don't know why but the moment I put that so called new defrost heater on I felt it wasn't working because nothing happened...no warming nothing.

When I defrost the rear of the freezer with the blow dryer, replace everything, the cold air comes through the damper just fine without any problems. Then after about 3-4 days, the frost begins to build up on the rear panel and the buildup slowly decreases the amount of cold air flowing up through the damper.

If I purchased a voltage reader (about $12.00) what exactly would I be looking for? How would I check the defrost heater itself if there are no actual wires other than the ones that you plug into it.

I have the dual heater and I'm wondering if it's not working due to having to plug the wires into the right side...I know that shouldn't make a difference if that's what the instructions tell you to do ...

Now, I'm starting to see water build up at the bottom of the fridge and this has not been happening since I've been making all the parts changes.

1. What else could I possibly check for?
2. Does this fridge/freezer have a timer?
3. I accidentally dropped two screws into the drain under the defrost heater (this was after the problems started) and I'm wondering if that is playing a roll in anything? I pulled out the dairy section at the bottom of the fridge and peeked in and the water reserviore (the white/somewhat clear S shaped plastic water holder) hanging on the rear was dripping as if it had a leak. I'm thinking this may be somehow connected to so many defrosts causing too much water to flow into the reserviore pan.

4. Do you have directions for checking the water pan under the fridge...how do I reach it and check to see if the screws or dust or anyting for that matter is clogging it? Could that possibly be causing any problems.

I'm getting frustrated.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2008, 09:40:01 PM »
does the ice box cycle on and off like it should or does it run constantly?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 09:43:17 PM by JWWebster »
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline smithlpoole

• VIP Member
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2008, 10:44:39 PM »
It cycles on and off like normal when the frost build up is little to nonexistent.  But as the frost builds up, I notice it cycles more and more and seems to almost cycle non-stop when the frost is to the point where the air can't flow through the evaporator coils.

Offline smithlpoole

• VIP Member
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2008, 10:47:04 PM »
It cycles on and off like normal when the frost build up is little to nonexistent.  But as the frost builds up, I notice it cycles more and more and seems to almost cycle non-stop when the frost is to the point where the air can't flow through the evaporator coils.

When I blow dried all the frost off last Friday afternoon the fridge got to about 38 - 39 degrees and the freezer was ranging between 10 - 14 below.  The cold air was flowing through the damper just fine and everything was cold like it used to be.

Offline smithlpoole

• VIP Member
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2008, 11:23:41 PM »
It cycles on and off like normal when the frost build up is little to nonexistent. 
But when the frost slowly builds up over a few days, I notice it cycles more and more and seems to almost cycle non-stop when the frost is to the point where the air can't flow through the evaporator coils.

When I blow dried all the frost off last Friday afternoon the fridge got to about 38 - 39 degrees and the freezer was ranging between 10 - 14 below.  The cold air was flowing through the damper just fine and everything was cold like it used to be.

Tonight, the freezer is at about 5 degrees and the fridge is averaging 38 on the bottom shelf and about 50 on the top highest shelf.

And there is water slowing accumulating beneath the lower drawer which is for the dairy/lunch meat.

I'm really feeling this is something overlooked or a part I've replaced isn't working as it should (defective).
I know that can happen.

Thanks again for your patience.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2008, 12:21:46 AM »
did you replace the terminator?
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline smithlpoole

• VIP Member
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2008, 08:23:54 AM »
I don't know what a terminator is?

Offline smithlpoole

• VIP Member
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2008, 08:56:43 AM »
I don't know what a terminator is?  are you referring to the thermistat defrost?

frigidaire side by side not cooling properly/not making ice

Started by mdwatts

Replies: 41
Views: 4874
Last post April 08, 2013, 09:03:19 PM
by AJ
Kenmore 106.56539400 Side By Side Not Cooling?

Started by shacky001

Replies: 6
Views: 4047
Last post October 09, 2008, 02:14:49 PM
by JWWebster
Frigidaire Refrigerator side by side (cooling poorly)

Started by morbus

Replies: 3
Views: 5107
Last post November 07, 2008, 03:16:45 PM
by Repair-man
GE side by side Refrigerator and freezer are not cooling.

Started by meamor

Replies: 1
Views: 5914
Last post January 15, 2009, 08:38:18 PM
by JWWebster
GE side by side refer clicking not cooling

Started by psj12

Replies: 4
Views: 1871
Last post May 28, 2009, 11:53:00 AM
by whirlpooltech
not cooling on the fresh food side