Author Topic: Kenmore Dryer won't stay hot  (Read 9518 times)

Offline regnursepm99

• VIP Member
Kenmore Dryer won't stay hot
« on: November 10, 2008, 12:27:50 AM »
I really need some help fixing my dryer.  I noticed over the past few days my clothes weren't getting dry.  After watching my dryer closely during a cycle I noticed that it will initially heat up and then shut down after about 5 minutes.  This happens on all settings.  I took the exhaust pipe apart today and cleaned everything but it it still happening.  When the dryer starts (cold), the igniter gets orange then I hear a click.  Then the flame starts and it is blowing heat.  You think that everything is "ok" but after about 5 minutes, the drum continues to move while the flame just "dies" and it won't restart until the dryer is cool again.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I can't stand the thought of calling a repair guy for an easy fix.  I am a fairly handy woman (although my husband thinks I am nuts).  If you can walk me through this, I can do it. 

Model 110.74872400

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
Re: Kenmore Dryer won't stay hot
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 04:44:20 AM »
Your husband will have a whole new admiration for you once you read the following:

http://appliancejunk.com/forums/index.php?action=store;sa=view;id=143
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline regnursepm99

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 07:06:44 AM »
He already does....I fixed his dryer 9 years ago   :P .  That seemed to be a simple fix though as when I took stuff apart,  I found this coil looking thing(porcelain) shattered so I figured that it had to be it hahaha.  Quick cheap $20 fix.  His father told him then to marry me...and so he did.  Tinkering with mechanics is a hobbie so I enjoy the challenge.

Thanks for the informative read.  From what that says, I should replace the coils first as there is no real way to test them.  I unfortunately don't have a voltage meter so I would have to purchase that in order to proceed with testing the igniter and continuity.  Maybe I should ask Santa for one...he did bring my miter saw last Christmas so who knows.

How do I get the coils off?  I'm only looking in from the front so can I access through the back.  Are there any special tools I need?  Where can I go to get parts?  Thanks for your help

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 07:12:56 AM »
The gas coils are available right here, part # 279834

If you look in the dryer manuals section, you'll find the Whirlpool dryer Mechanics file to download. It will explain everything to you, and you don't have to tell hubby how smart you got all of a sudden :)

http://appliancejunk.com/forums/index.php?action=store;sa=view;id=105
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 07:15:42 AM by Repair-man »
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 10:00:50 AM »
2 phillips screws hold the cover down over the coils. Remove them and unplug the coils, their is no way to screw up the install.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 10:03:01 AM by JWWebster »
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline regnursepm99

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 10:37:14 AM »
Thank you for your replies.  I actually did the install already.  We have a local appliance parts place.  I bought and installed the new coils...and the install was idiot proof (down to the little nubs that fit perfectly in the housing hahaha).

The flame is staying lit and the clothes are drying fine but I do have a quick question?

Will the flame stay lit the entire cycle or will it only kick on as it needs heat?  I have a 13 month old and unfortunately can't stayed glued to the basement watching my dryer.  When I went down after about 15-20 minutes, trhe dryere was running and the exaust duct was warm but the flame was out.  It wasn't at the end of the drying cycle either.  Does the flame come on per diem?

Thanks again for your help.  Nothing sexier than a woman in her dryer with her toolbelt hahahaha

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2008, 12:48:45 PM »
The flame only comes on for 10 seconds or so and the dryer thermostat shuts it down to prevent harm to the clothes. The flame does NOT stay on all the time.
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2008, 12:50:59 PM »
You can hear the click and whoosh all through the drying cycle until the cool down at the end.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline regnursepm99

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2008, 12:56:33 PM »
Thank you for your replies.  I figured that was the case but I had to ask.

I didn't want to get too excited if it really wasn't fixed but the clothes were drying.  If I knew it would be such a quick fix, I would have done that first instead of taking the whole dryer apart to clean the lint as well as the duct work going to the outside.  But alas...it needed to be done anyway.

I do appreciate all the help I received here.  I'm sure I will be back again because I like to tinker with things around the house.

Thanks again

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2008, 12:59:10 PM »
Cool..... Glad you got er going!!!
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline regnursepm99

• VIP Member
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2008, 01:05:17 PM »
Me also...I guess I actually have to do the laundry now as I have no more excuses   :2funny:

Kenmore 71802 Gas Dryer won't stay hot

Started by Chris

Replies: 3
Views: 5080
Last post August 21, 2007, 07:22:14 PM
by Pegi
Kenmore gas dryer will not stay hot

Started by kim100

Replies: 15
Views: 9504
Last post December 23, 2010, 08:10:39 AM
by JWWebster