Author Topic: do I need a repairpersn?  (Read 2427 times)

Offline johnniet

• VIP Member
do I need a repairpersn?
« on: November 05, 2008, 09:04:11 PM »
I replaced the oven igniter in my GE range, I have gas going to the top burners but not in the oven. I thought if I replaced the igniter then the oven would work. I was told when the igniter went out that the gas was shut off to the oven. My question is , is there a reset button for the gas to flow to the oven?

Model jgbs07peh2ww

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
Re: do I need a repairpersn?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 04:39:00 AM »
I was told when the igniter went out that the gas was shut off to the oven

What you were told is PARTIALLY true. Except for one small thing. Gas is always shut off to the oven anyway.  Only if the ignitor glows properly does the gas valve allow gas in.

If the ignitor does not glow at all, it's either bad or the control is not sending power to it in the first place. You must have a voltmeter and the ability to use it or call in someone who does.Check for 120 volts at the ignitor leads when the oven is set to bake. No voltage, bad thermostat. Good voltage, bad ignitor or gas valve.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 05:27:21 AM by Repair-man »
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline johnniet

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 06:03:04 PM »
Thanks Repair-man, for the info. One more thing, the igniter lights up but I don't know if I didn't leave it on long enough, but I don't want it to go out because it lights up, do I let it just light? How long should I wait? It went out 1 year ago and we were able to get the part just recently. Any help is appreciated. Thank you very much.

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 06:48:39 PM »
Ordinarily, the ignitor takes less than 50 seconds to open the gas valve if it is working properly. The ignitor must generate 3.0-3.3 amps to open the valve. We test this with a clamp-on amp probe.  Is this a brand new ignitor and is it the correct one for the oven from GE?

There is a shut-off valve mounted on the gas regulator under the stove on  certain models. If yours has this, it will be a small lever on the outlet side of the regulator, and this lever must be in the raised position to allow gas to flow to the oven. If I remember correctly, it does not affect the top range burners, just the oven gas. The tip of this lever is shown in the picture of your regulator below. It is hard to define, but is in about the 1:00 position.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 06:54:07 PM by Repair-man »
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008, 09:04:59 PM »
 It don't light in a second. It takes 2 or 3 minutes.Maybe more.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline RegUS_PatOff

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2008, 09:42:48 AM »
...the igniter lights up but ... I don't want it to go out because it lights up...
The Ignitor will be ON (glow) whenever the Gas (Burner) is ON
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 09:44:28 AM by RegUS_PatOff »
After leaving this Earth, "Do you want the smoking or non-smoking section?"