Author Topic: Maytag Top Load Washer Leaking  (Read 5388 times)

Offline TechnicianBrian

• Technician
    • TechnicianBrian.com
Maytag Top Load Washer Leaking
« on: November 03, 2008, 05:05:03 AM »

Model #SAV365ZAWW, this top load washer would leak water from under the unit whenever a wash cycle was started. What seemed unusual about the leak was it took until the load was just about completed, then it continued until well after the cycle was completed.  Tired of standing in water, the customer wanted washer that kept the water inside.

Water leaks are not a completely unusual problem with top load washers because often, small amount of water will splash over the top of the tub during a wash cycle. Especially when a large load is selected and the clothes are not evenly distributed, water can collect in the bottom of the cabinet and give the appearance of a larger leak. This is often the case for a described intermittent leak, because sometimes enough water will splash over and collect on the floor, and other times the water evaporates before it is noticed. Because the leak in this washer was consistent, I knew it should be visible. After all, if there is enough water for the customer to notice, I should be able to see the source of the leak.

With the access panel removed giving me a clear view of the washer components, I started a test load and began looking for a leak. It didn't take long until I found water coming from the center of the water pump where it connects to the motor shaft. As the cycle continued, the water would drip off the pump and begin to collect in the front of the cabinet. When the puddle of water grew large enough, it made it's way to one of the front corners where it leaked out near the stabilizing feet. Because it took quite a bit of water to collect, the leak appeared to continue until well after the wash was completed. Problem located, now it's time for the repair.

The pump on this model is a bit difficult to get to easily, but by removing the support springs, the bottom of the tub can be pulled to the front giving easy access to the three mounting screws. I installed a new pumpicon onto the motor shaft, then reinstalled the tub and springs. The washer works great, and all the water stays in the tub.

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
Re: Maytag Top Load Washer Leaking
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 05:55:45 AM »
It may be easier and quicker to simply remove the 4 bolts holding the motor and pump to the frame. Then the pair can be removed and the pump bolts are easily accessible without removing the stout tub springs. This also makes it easier to get the belt properly routed around the motor and idler pulleys when installing the new pump. Take note of the belt routing before you remove the pump from the motor.
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 08:02:18 PM »
Brian you can remove the motor and pump assembly easily without messing with the tub springs in this crappy washer. Just take the 4 bolts loose that RM suggested and the motor pump assembly comes right out.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Online AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair Help
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 08:37:38 PM »
More info and photos can be found at this topic too.

How to replace a Maytag - Amana washer water pump and

Maytag top load washer leaking

Started by hobart007

Replies: 12
Views: 7381
Last post March 11, 2009, 05:15:14 AM
by Repair-man
16007803 Maytag Front Load Washer Service Repair Manual

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 3006
Last post March 27, 2008, 08:23:12 PM