Author Topic: Replacing Seals and Bearings Whirlpool/(Kitchenaid, KAWE678BAL1)  (Read 4624 times)

Offline hbaked

• VIP Member
I have a direct drive washing machine (Kitchenaid, KAWE678BAL1icon).  Not unlike the washer in Al's coupler replacement.

I now have a new problem 2 years later.  I believe the centerpost bearing kit is needed (stuck when trying to spin- item 24 page 2).  The bearing and seals appear to be worn (feel gritty when running my finger inside the post).  Also, the brake and drive tube were difficult to pull out and (after examining) difficult to push back in the centerpost.

My question is how to replace the bearings and seals.  There doesn't appear to be any documentation on this stuff.

Attached is a pdf of the base (page 1) and the drive tube (page 3).  The drive tube is inserted through the base passing through the seals and bearings (item 24 on page 1).

A few additional questions:

- What's the best way to remove the bearing and seals without damaging the centerpost? (Am I supposed to cut them out?)
  - Once the bearings and seals are replaced, should the drive tube run "smoothly" through?

Thanks in advance for any help.  Forgive the long post.  I tried to place adequate information.

Offline Pegi

• VIP Member
  • Owner/Tech
Re: Replacing Seals and Bearings Whirlpool/(Kitchenaid, KAWE678BAL1)
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 01:55:51 PM »
Never seen bad bearings/seals on a DD washer yet, however it takes very expensive speciality tools to remove and re-install these bearings and seals....not sure if that would be your problem, can you turn the transmision shaft both ways easily using the coupler and a socket??  Something stuck between the tub and basket??

Offline hbaked

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 02:22:12 PM »
Thanks Pegi for the quick reply.

I've cleaned out the tub and basked and didn't notice anything outside the 10+ years of crud :)

The trans shaft moves both ways and inserts into the drive tube easily.  However, the drive tube gets "stuck" when trying to place it into the base.  Is this normal?  Should it be difficult to slide the drive tube through the base (centerpost) seals and bearings?

Also, do you have any documents (other than what was posted)?  What special tools are used to service this part of the washing machine?

Thanks again.

Offline Pegi

• VIP Member
  • Owner/Tech
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2007, 02:30:11 PM »
Depends on how far up it sticks, and yes will stick a bit sometimes, might lube the outside of the shaft, if it sticks like one inch down your clutch thing is on the wrong side of the spring...we have the tools but would have to do some research on where they could be bought..are you trying to insert the transmision shaft or the spin tube shaft??

Offline Pegi

• VIP Member
  • Owner/Tech
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2007, 02:32:46 PM »
However, the drive tube gets "stuck" when trying to place it into the base.
I see it now, it can be hard to get this back up if the outside of the tube is damaged, did you sand it smoothe and try some lube??

Offline hbaked

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2007, 02:57:42 PM »
There is a .5mm "burr" on the tip of the drive tube.  Must have happened when taking off the nut.  This part of the tube is outside the centerpost once inserted.  I may have created a groove in the seals/bearings on the way out.  Funny thing: I now may have to replace the seals/bearings due to the process of looking for a problem with the seals/bearings.  This should be called "The Uncertainty Principle of DIY!"

Thanks,

Offline rickgburton

• Technician
  • Ricks Appliance Repair - 30 Years Experience
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2007, 09:59:29 PM »
Hi hbaked,

I know it's hard to believe, but you don't have to replace the bearings. Use 220 grit sandpaper to remove the burrs. Coat the spin tube with Whirlpool part# 74940 grease. Use your finger and put a good amount above the lower bearing with the spin tube out. I know you're going to ask if a heavy wheel brg grease will work , the answer is I don't know but probably will.

Rick
OWNER/SERV TECH: RICK'S APPLIANCE REPAIR
APPLIANCE SERVICE TECHNICIAN FOR 25 YEARS
ONLINE SERV TECH: ApplianceBlog.com ApplianceJunk.com
CERTIFIED TYPE 1; TYPE 2.....REFRIGERATION SERV

Offline hbaked

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2007, 11:23:37 AM »
Thanks Rick.

I'll give it a try.  Sanding was a good start so far.  I can run it through now.  It's amazing that the bearings/seals were that unforgiving- a small bump really caused some difficulty in getting it out.  I'll make sure things are pretty smooth for the drive tube before fully assembling.  Oh, and did I mention that my troubleshooting process included making bold assumptions about the gear case and opening it up?   :-\

Offline Pegi

• VIP Member
  • Owner/Tech
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2007, 11:31:56 AM »
  ???  ooooppps...

Offline rickgburton

• Technician
  • Ricks Appliance Repair - 30 Years Experience
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2007, 12:16:19 AM »
Ok, with the bearing issue out of the way now, what was the original problem you were having with the washer? ???
OWNER/SERV TECH: RICK'S APPLIANCE REPAIR
APPLIANCE SERVICE TECHNICIAN FOR 25 YEARS
ONLINE SERV TECH: ApplianceBlog.com ApplianceJunk.com
CERTIFIED TYPE 1; TYPE 2.....REFRIGERATION SERV

donate
$1, $2, $5, $10, $20, $50

Photos: Whirlpool Duet washer with bad bearings, only 2.5 years old!

Started by AJ

Replies: 21
Views: 31403
Last post May 23, 2013, 08:22:19 PM
by Rick32k
8182706 Whirlpool KitchenAid Front Load Washer Control Board

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 3774
Last post June 05, 2009, 03:33:02 PM
by AJ
replacing inlet water valve on kitchenaid washer

Started by viking351

Replies: 1
Views: 1056
Last post January 31, 2011, 11:16:32 AM
by JWWebster
Replacing Whirlpool direct washer clutch - C clip flew off and can't find it!

Started by jamesve

Replies: 9
Views: 2612
Last post June 11, 2011, 11:03:57 AM
by jamesve
whirlpool front loader bad bearings

Started by JPG

Replies: 7
Views: 1101
Last post December 20, 2012, 04:18:00 AM
by RAH52
whirlpool duet steam,bad bearings,tub doesnt split??????

Started by stocpro47

Replies: 10
Views: 1073
Last post July 29, 2013, 03:53:35 PM
by stocpro47