Forum > Washer Repair

Replacing Seals and Bearings Whirlpool/(Kitchenaid, KAWE678BAL1)

<< < (2/2)

hbaked:
There is a .5mm "burr" on the tip of the drive tube.  Must have happened when taking off the nut.  This part of the tube is outside the centerpost once inserted.  I may have created a groove in the seals/bearings on the way out.  Funny thing: I now may have to replace the seals/bearings due to the process of looking for a problem with the seals/bearings.  This should be called "The Uncertainty Principle of DIY!"

Thanks,

rickgburton:
Hi hbaked,

I know it's hard to believe, but you don't have to replace the bearings. Use 220 grit sandpaper to remove the burrs. Coat the spin tube with Whirlpool part# 74940 grease. Use your finger and put a good amount above the lower bearing with the spin tube out. I know you're going to ask if a heavy wheel brg grease will work , the answer is I don't know but probably will.

Rick

hbaked:
Thanks Rick.

I'll give it a try.  Sanding was a good start so far.  I can run it through now.  It's amazing that the bearings/seals were that unforgiving- a small bump really caused some difficulty in getting it out.  I'll make sure things are pretty smooth for the drive tube before fully assembling.  Oh, and did I mention that my troubleshooting process included making bold assumptions about the gear case and opening it up?   :-\

Pegi:
  ???  ooooppps...

rickgburton:
Ok, with the bearing issue out of the way now, what was the original problem you were having with the washer? ???

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version