Free Service - Appliance Repair Help & Troubleshooting

Author Topic: Noisy Door on Kitchenaid Dishwasher  (Read 21182 times)

Offline TechnicianBrian

• Technician
    • TechnicianBrian.com
Noisy Door on Kitchenaid Dishwasher
« on: October 25, 2008, 06:19:05 AM »

Model #KUDS01FLSS1icon, the door on this stainless steel tall tub dishwasher would make a loud noise when it was opened or closed similar to springs on an old bed. The unit worked just fine, but it was difficult to get in and out of without making a bunch of noise. Finally tired of the sound from their quiet running dishwasher, it was time for some expert service.

The doors on the Kitchenaid products are quite heavy and require a couple good sized springs in order to counter balance their weight. Both springs run along the bottom of the frame and attach near the rear leveling legs. The front of each spring is attached to a lanyard (looks like a shoe lace) which wraps around a pulley mechanism and then connects to the door hinge. When these lanyards break, the door becomes very heavy as I discuss in this previous post. The pulley consists of a stationary post, and a wheel on a shaft which the lanyard runs through in an 'S' pattern. This allows the vertical movement of the door hinge to transition into the horizontal movement of the springs.

Where the noise comes from is when the lanyard runs through the pulleys, it does so in a jerking motion due to friction. Each time the lanyard sticks to the stationary post, then quickly releases, the springs vibrate and make a harmonic noise. This friction can result in premature wear to the lanyards, but most often it is the noise when the door is used that is the cause for concern. The easy fix for this problem is to apply some grease like a white lithium to the stationary portion of each pulley to prevent the lanyards from sticking. But the grease is only a temporary repair because it attracts dirt and dust and eventually starts to cause more damage than it fixes. So for a more permanent fix, a new kit has become available to make this noise a thing of the past.

I installed this new door balance link kiticon (compare the photos above) which consists of a new set of lanyards, and a new set of pulleys which now have two wheels that move. With both wheels moving and no stationary post, there is no friction to create the unpleasant harmonic noise and the lanyards are subjected to less wear. Replacement of the kit was easy to do requiring the dishwasher to only be pulled out enough to change the pulleys.  Now the door on this unit is again as quite as when it's washing dishes.

Offline dyauch

• VIP Member
Re: Noisy Door on Kitchenaid Dishwasher
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2016, 02:26:23 PM »
Brian, saw your solution with updated parts, followed links, but my model is not compatible with those parts. I have an Electrolux FGHD2465NF1A dishwasher, no moving parts in the door hinge spring attachment lanyard mechanism, so is extremely loud per above. Any idea if there is a moveable pulley replacement option for this model?
Thank you
Dave Yauch

Offline tgoods

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 12:20:48 AM »
Frigidaire has a service bulletin but your model isn't listed. It says to lubricate the cables with unscented bar soap. Candle wax works too. Here's the bulletin:

Frigidaire
 Electrolux Major Appliances Service Flash DW0803 Rev. B 03.26.08
 SERVICE FLASH
DW0803

FDB4315LF, FDBB4365F, LEDB500FE, GLD4355RF, PLD4375RF, PLD4555RF

SERVICE FLASH
Opening or closing the door makes a loud squeaking, vibrating type noise from the door
spring or cable.

The noise is caused by tension on the nylon cable from the spring, as it moves around the
friction pulley.

Check the cables for any grease or oil, if the cables have been lubricated replace the cable
and friction pulley it rides around. This may require replacing the cable and pulley on both
sides. After checking or replacing these parts take a bar of regular unscented soap and
liberally rub both of the cable and the door spring on both sides. Then open and close the
door 4 or 5 times to work the soap into the cable and pulley to complete repair.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 12:22:07 AM by tgoods »

Offline dyauch

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 10:47:06 AM »
Thank you! Probably applies to mine as well, there is a fixed plastic part with a curved section on it which the cable "rides" on. Can't believe their engineering is so poor that their fix is rubbing soap on it, but what the heck, easy fix, will do so.

Offline Dylan525

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2016, 11:14:46 AM »
My issue is similar but slightly different.  Upon opening the dishwasher door I heard a grinding and then a pop as if the spring at popped so I pulled the dishwasher out and saw that the springs and cables were still in tact and operational. 

Upon removing the face plate, it appeared that the door was rubbing against the top corner of the pulley system each time it opened causing a slighting grinding sound and small bump in the door reaching its horizontal position.  Is there supposed to be a bit of contact between the two parts?

Or is this a lubrication issue or do the springs need to be adjusted or a new pulley kit installed?  Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thank you

Kitchenaid Dishwasher Door Drops when Opened

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 10
Views: 66277
Last post July 18, 2010, 11:00:24 PM
by JWWebster
Noisy Kitchenaid Dishwasher

Started by starcaptain

Replies: 2
Views: 3409
Last post December 04, 2009, 12:23:35 PM
by Mr. Fix-It
KitchenAid Dishwasher KUDI01FLBL3 Heavy Door

Started by AJ

Replies: 2
Views: 2387
Last post December 28, 2011, 02:51:27 PM
by bigbuck
Door Balance Broken on Kitchenaid Dishwasher - Will it leak if run?

Started by tashamoo

Replies: 1
Views: 137
Last post August 01, 2016, 05:22:10 PM
by AJ
Whirlpool Dishwasher Model GU940SCGB3 Door Leak

Started by JimKaran

Replies: 10
Views: 18257
Last post September 13, 2007, 11:39:39 AM
by AJ
Video: Whirlpool Dishwasher Door Leak - How to replace pump seal.

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 11058
Last post September 13, 2007, 06:45:17 PM
by AJ