Free Service - Appliance Repair Help & Troubleshooting

Author Topic: samsung dishwasher dw80f600uts blinking smart auto and heavy  (Read 7543 times)

Offline biff70

• VIP Member
samsung dishwasher dw80f600uts blinking smart auto and heavy
« on: November 21, 2015, 07:39:33 PM »
i am getting a blinking smart auto and heavy light.  Sometimes just the smart auto light.  The dishwasher is about 2 years old.  I replaced the main PCB, the Case break, and the ECS within the last week.  The dishwasher ran thru one complete cycle after I replaced all of those, then went back to blinking smart auto, then both.  Any suggestions?  its close to going to the curb.

Offline scottesh

• Technician
Re: samsung dishwasher dw80f600uts blinking smart auto and heavy
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2015, 05:48:30 PM »
Smart auto - heavy lights- This is a Over Level water error that is either caused by a bad PCB (You Replaced) Flow meter, or water supply valve. Samsung classifies this as a Case Sensor part breakdown.

If you are getting heavy blinking by itself that is a leakage error. look inside the drip pan on the bottom of the unit there is a plastic door that comes off with a leakage sensor .
if any water get in there that will throw the error. Check all hose connections, sump and tub assembly, and any component that delivers or pumps water for any leaks.

Smart auto blinking by itself means a water supply error. Check all incoming water hoses for kinks, check water valve for proper operation or particle buildup inside the screen.

Attached is the fast track for this model, hope this helps.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 05:59:31 PM by scottesh »

Offline JHZR2

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2016, 09:25:24 AM »
Thank you for posting those documents - I am reviving this old thread because they are pretty useful for the purpose of trying to determine the issue.

We have a DW80F600UTS, put into service around October of 2014.  Based upon the service bulletin ASC20151030001 attached above, it looks like we have an August 2014 build date.

This past december (2015), we first got Heavy + Smart Auto flashing as an error.  We started researching and saw many things, but noted that the case brake (DD82-01111A) was filled with gunk in one area, so we cleaned it out, and the DW started working again.  We bought a spare just in case but it was working fine until April...

Come April, we got the same error again. So immediately we thought case brake and swapped it with a new part.  It worked again for a little while, like a matter of weeks, and then we got the error again.

So now it is May.  I've found some of these resources, read a lot of discussion, also started to troubleshot in earnest...

Some people say ECS sensor is the cause.  Our DW80F600UTS, though the parts diagram shows one, does not have the white ECS sensor.  There is a metal thermocouple with a different harness installed there.  Right next to the turbidity sensor.  There was a bunch of junk in there, which we cleaned out entirely.  No change, still get the same error.

Some say the PCB is the cause.  No indication either way when replaced with a new one.

So now I found this thread with a lot more troubleshooting detail than id found before in other threads and discussions.  I plan to re-clean (or should I replace) the overflow sensor in the bottom pan, and measure the water fill valve resistance.  Ill say that last night we had it pulled out to look for the ECS sensor and whatnot, and ran it pulled out a bit and it did go full cycle with no errors... Then pushed it back in and we have a problem...

Using the fast track troubleshooter for this model (also attached above), we can't get through #1 without the heavy and smart auto lights flashing...  I think that is expected, as it says to fix the cause if heavy and smart auto are flashing before starting the troubleshoot mode... but that means finding the actual cause.

The diagram shows that there is an ECS sensor, but there is none, just the thermocouple:

Cleaned out the area by the turbidity sensor and thermocouple:

The lights that come on when we enter troubleshoot mode.  Oddly the child lock light has an intermittent flash, very short, very random it seems.  Not sure why. 

Can you point me to the flow meter?  Id like to troubleshoot it while troubleshooting the coil on the flow valve.

Thanks!!!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 09:37:30 AM by JHZR2 »

Offline JHZR2

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2016, 10:00:19 AM »
Doesn't seem to let me edit anymore...

The overflow sensor in the bottom pan is clean and bright, no signs of ever being wet or corroded.  I also measured the water fill valve resistance, which the fast track thing says should be 1.2kOhm, and I am getting 1.061kOhm on a calibrated Fluke 87V. 

Clean and bright overflow sensor in the bottom of the pan:

Offline domain

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2016, 03:21:17 PM »
Thats the leak sensor, not overflow O0

Offline JHZR2

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2016, 04:31:24 PM »
Thats the leak sensor, not overflow O0

Oops, bad choice of words.

Overflow is built into the case brake, no? 

Offline dman535

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2016, 04:48:10 PM »
Any more detail on this problem? I have a DW80F600 that is giving me this error. I cleaned out the case brake and it made no difference. I ran diagnostic test #6 and it seems to be operating per the test.

This unit has had like three service calls and one DIY repair. I am about to give up on it and go get something else.

Offline JHZR2

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2016, 05:34:35 PM »
Unfortunately it seems to be random, and throwing parts is never a good option.  We have just left the DW not quite fully installed to simplify removal. 

Honestly I think it's a bit less prone to do it if not pushed all the way in. That points to me that somehow there's a sensitivity to discharge pipe routing, even if you've painstakingly verified (fiber optic video, etc) that the hose is not pinched or bent or run in an unacceptable manner... And are triple sure nothing is clogged or gunked up.

Offline dman535

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2016, 07:51:41 AM »
I just unplugged the overfill sensor on the case break and the unit has stopped throwing the error. I have a new Whirlpool on order through Home Depot. I am not going to spend another $100 on parts for this thing. Home Depot still has this unit on sale for $700 and it looked identical to the one we have.

Am I wrong to thing that this many repairs and service recalls on a modern appliance are to many??

Samsung Dishwasher Model:DW80F600UTS (Smart Auto & Heavy) lights blinking.

Started by HotNation

Replies: 12
Views: 3957
Last post May 22, 2016, 03:21:49 PM
by domain
Samsung Dishwasher DW80F600UTS - High Temp Error (smart auto + normal lights)

Started by paralee

Replies: 6
Views: 9813
Last post September 10, 2015, 01:37:08 PM
by domain
Samsung DW80F600UTS Smart Auto light

Started by RandoH

Replies: 3
Views: 952
Last post May 06, 2016, 09:04:41 AM
by RandoH
Samsung DW Error Code Heavy + Smart Auto