Author Topic: The New Electrolux Laundry Products  (Read 3923 times)

Offline TechnicianBrian

• Technician
    • TechnicianBrian.com
The New Electrolux Laundry Products
« on: October 23, 2008, 03:21:24 AM »

Today I participated in some training on the newly released Electrolux front load laundry products, provided by our regional trainer. The Electrolux brand has been around for many years, but in the US, we are most familiar with their products under the Frigidaire, or ICON brand names. In Spring of 2008, an entire product line was introduced using the Electrolux brand name with the plan to market a higher end appliances to consumers. They started with cooking products and a dishwasher, but now they have moved into the laundry room.

Anyone familiar with the Frigidaire Affinity front load products will notice the similarities with the Electrolux laundry, and while many of the components look similar to those we are already familiar with, most are completely new to these products.

To begin with, the capacity of both the washer and dryer are noticeably larger when you look inside, after opening the door without needing to pull on a handle. Each door has a push to release catch along with a slightly spring loaded hinge allowing the consumer to pop the doors open with a knee or hip. Both doors are easily reversible so you are not stuck with having the washer on the left like most other makes. The interior is also illuminated in both units with an LED array, and the dispenser on the washer pops open much like the doors.

The Vibration Damper Assembly

Some further refinements include four suspension shocks for the washers along with a damper mounted above the tub assembly to further help reduce vibration during the spin cycle. Electrolux is very optimistic that this laundry pair will provide less vibration and shaking on any kind of floor than the competition. We did run the washer in a test mode and I will admit it is very quite even in the spin, but without water and a pile of clothes to wash, we didn't get to feel the full effects of the reduced vibration system.

The Electric Dryer

The dryers have a huge drum driven by a typical motor and blower setup, but the wave touch models utilize a double idler roller to allow for the drum to reverse direction during the cycle. To provide for the higher capacity drum, the heating elements that are typically located on the back of the unit, have been relocated under the drum and now consist of three elements, or a gas burner. All components are located under the drum requiring it's removal for just about any testing or servicing that may be needed. The rear access panel is gone as well, but the drum now uses roller instead of glides for front and rear support. And of course there is a model with a steam cycle. No steam generator, just a mist of water.

Overall, the look and feel of these new products is very good. They both come in multiple versions with currently 4 color options. I think from the consumer side of it, they offer good benefits if a quieter operating washer is what you are expecting. And from the technician side, they don't stray to far from what we are already familiar with from the Frigidaire Products. Electrolux is continuing with the 2 years part warranty, and they will ship parts to the customer prior to the service call to help with that first call complete. Oh, and the tech sheet is under the top panel with all the diagnostics the test procedures just in case.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: The New Electrolux Laundry Products
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 02:22:10 PM »
Brian would you say these new appliances are pretty decent?
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline TechnicianBrian

• Technician
    • TechnicianBrian.com
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 10:37:55 PM »
Hey JW,

I think the Electrolux stuff is nice, and has some real nice features.  The smart thing they did was to stay pretty much with the Frigidaire style of platform so I wouldn't expect many issues we haven't already seen.  They are quite a bit more expensive so we will see how that goes, but I am curious to see how the dampener works out for the reduced vibration.  Looks like a good idea, but the 10lb weight is only held in place by 4 small pads that look like jello.  It also has it's own shipping bolt (or fork as they call it) that needs to be in place if the machine is ever moved.  Being able to reverse the doors is another feature I like, and have a feeling that is going to work it's way into everyones next frontloader version.  Electrolux also has a bottom mount refer due out earlier this year, that has been delayed for one reason or another.  I suspect it will have the usual features like everyone else's.  But to answer your question, I do like the stuff.  Just a bit more expensive than I am willing to pay.  My wife on the other hand wants the new GE's with the dispensing pedestal.  But it's $600 by itself, so that won't be happening to soon. 

Brian

Offline gerolymatos

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 08:55:34 AM »
Where can I find a repair manual for this machine? How do I remove the drum vanes? I would like to have a repair manual for future reference as well.

Offline tgoods

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 02:17:33 PM »
The first frontload washer with a tub bearing/seal assembly that costs less than $100, and can be changed in less than 45 minutes, will be the one I will recommend.  And it must have reasonably priced electronics, too.   Right now they all seem to be overpriced, throwaway machines.

Cordless Stick Vacuums Recalled by Electrolux Home Care Products Due to Bursting

Started by AJ

Replies: 3
Views: 1557
Last post March 26, 2009, 10:01:42 PM
by Repair-man
Whirlpool 2012 Laundry Products Service Pointers

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 871
Last post August 14, 2012, 07:16:39 PM
by AJ
16009127 Maytag Neptune Stacked Laundry Service Repair Manual