Author Topic: GE Builtin Oven will not shutoff  (Read 2597 times)

Offline openmind

• VIP Member
GE Builtin Oven will not shutoff
« on: October 20, 2008, 11:43:37 PM »
I have a GE Built-in Oven Model # JTP16GDT1BB.  One day while baking, the temperature ran high on its own.  I got the F2 code.  I turned it off by shutting off the elctricity. AFter couple of days, i turned it back on and baked something. It worked except after I removed cookies and cleared the Oven the Heating Element ramained on.  I turned it off. A day later turned it back on and this time the Element heated up by itself.  What should I do?

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
Re: GE Builtin Oven will not shutoff
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 07:04:50 AM »
You are describing a failure of the oven control (ERC). On this obsolescent model, the clock costs nearly $400, and very few companies carry them. Since this involves a cost of more than half the value of the product, you may want to consider a new oven instead rather than invest in one that parts are hard to come by. The part for your model is WB27K5172.

"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline openmind

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 03:59:36 PM »
Thank you.

What  is the general consensus about the quality of ovens these days>  I bought mine in 1995 and  sort of disappointed that it died so quickly in 13 years!  The one I had replaced Very old was already 20 years old.

Which one should I go for?

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 04:33:48 PM »
Statistics show NOT using the self clean feature saves electronics. A good point to know if you buy future ovens with electronics.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
Quality of present-day appliances
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 05:27:01 PM »
There is no such thing as dependability in most of the products you see today, regardless of brand. Gone are the days that appliances last for 20 years without problems, mainly due to the cost-saving attitudes of the manufacturers. Product engineers sit up nights thinking of ways to cut corners with manufacturing, mainly because greedy corporate execs want to see a more rapid turnover in sales rather than let a product perform gracefully for an extended amount of time. They want to replace quality with profitability, the main reason that our economy is in the situation it is in today.

With this in mind, the best approach to buying new appliances is to go with a brand that is easily serviceable by the homeowner and one whose parts are not priced out of reason so that repairs are not feasible. Most of the time, the better brands will be those made by domestic companies, not Euro brands which have expensive price tags on not just the product but the spare parts as well. For this reason, repair forums such as this one and mine will be a major help to those having issues that they never had to deal with in the past. The world of appliances has changed much like the world of automobiles. Business practices such as Six Sigma and Lean Sigma have altered the way things are made and maintained.

Many of us who deal with these appliances nowadays see no real difference in quality among the brands offered, so it behooves us to be selective in our choice of appliances based on what can be fixed later on down the road at the cheapest cost.

GE is one of the most expensive maker of repair parts in the world for reasons only they understand.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 08:57:48 PM by Repair-man »
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline RegUS_PatOff

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 09:59:16 PM »
GE Repair parts ... 2x to 3x the cost of other brands for the exact same part common parts, Dryer Rollers, Gas Valves, Switches, etc...

Long life is gone.. Water Heaters for example...

Now when you buy a 6 year water heater... Plan on replacing it in 6 years..

Engineering has figured out just how thin to make the walls to rust through just after the warranty expires.

8 year water heater... just a "little thicker".
After leaving this Earth, "Do you want the smoking or non-smoking section?"

Whirlpool Oven Shutoff during Clean cycle. Now Oven won't turn on.

Started by Wrangler07

Replies: 0
Views: 672
Last post March 19, 2013, 03:44:52 PM
by Wrangler07
Frigidaire oven temp sensor probe?

Started by jon

Replies: 1
Views: 6439
Last post July 08, 2007, 06:06:26 PM
by AJ
Jenn-Air self cleaning oven problem

Started by ralphthedog

Replies: 6
Views: 10031
Last post December 13, 2007, 08:15:34 PM
by ralphthedog
How can I find the manual for a Jenn Aire double oven?

Started by Dukes

Replies: 2
Views: 2761
Last post December 16, 2007, 04:40:06 PM
by Dukes
Maytag Double Wall oven lights

Started by jumptrout51

Replies: 2
Views: 3629
Last post December 23, 2007, 01:26:06 PM
by kjagmin
bosch convection oven