Author Topic: Thumps when warm  (Read 3163 times)

Offline susann

• VIP Member
Thumps when warm
« on: October 20, 2008, 11:39:52 PM »
My older dryer has been making a thumping noise when stopping after it runs for a while and is warm.  It sounds like it might be a belt but since the drum is moving, I think it might be the felt seals.  At least I think they are felt.  When I first turn the dryer on and it is cold, it just sounds like it might be sliding on a felt pad and otherwise seems t be working fine.  
1. Does it sound like I'm on the right track?  
2. Is replacng the seals very difficlut?  I'm fairly handy and sort of mechanical, plus I used to sell appliances and parts.  
3. Is there something else I should be replacing while I have it taken apart?
Thanks for any assistance.

Model LDE9334ace

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
Re: Thumps when warm
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 06:58:24 AM »
It sounds like a worn out blower wheel from your description. The plastic wheel is attached to the front shaft of the motor, and normally has a D-shaped center hole to match the motor shaft. When these fail, the D-shap becomes rounded off, causing the blower to skip around on the shaft rather than turn fluidly as it should. This also creates slightly  longer drying times and overheating of the dryer due to the loss of airflow from the blower.

Considered a cheap and easy repair, you can order the blower wheel and and do this repair in less than 45 minutes. The only special tool required will be a small pair of snap-ring pliers to remove and install the wheel. Use your model number in the parts lookup on the left to order the blower(Impeller). Part number is 303836

« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 12:52:47 PM by Repair-man »
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 10:28:09 AM »
yep
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline susann

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 09:25:22 PM »
Well, of course you were correct!  Thanks so much to both of you.  You guys rock!

donate
$1, $2, $5, $10, $20, $50

Whirlpool Electric Dryer - doesn't get very warm

Started by GoldieGirl

Replies: 8
Views: 2504
Last post June 20, 2009, 01:47:42 PM
by JWWebster