Author Topic: Maytag Neptune MAH4000AWW HElp Needed  (Read 6263 times)

Offline GodZilla

• VIP Member
Maytag Neptune MAH4000AWW HElp Needed
« on: October 18, 2008, 05:17:43 PM »
Hi

I have a  MAH4000AWW the problem is when it is time to spin it starts like it is going to then half way it stops. It continues on with the spin cycle until complete and the timer sounds. But when it is time to spin fully it only does it half way. I took out the load and drained the water to almost nothing inside the washer then plugged it in and set it to spin. When I did that it spins at high speed no problem and is back to normal. It seems like it cant handle any weight when trying to spin. The load was small and when it was just water it should complete. I have checked the control panel and looked in the back and all is good. Would the motor be going and this is the way it is warning you? Is it an easy fix as its 8 years old and not sure if it is worth it to spend on it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Offline sparky823

• VIP Member
Re: Maytag Neptune MAH4000AWW HElp Needed
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 02:13:44 AM »
Maybe your pump is partially clogged and when it doesn't drain it can't spin? I know also with small loads it will have a harder time balancing and might not finish spinning. I had this happen once with a small childs coat. I also have the 4000.

Offline GodZilla

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 09:50:37 AM »
I fixed the problem. I took the front off and reached in and pushed in the balance switch buttons, then leveled it as it was a bit out of balance. Put it through a rinse and it worked fine, it started draining right away and the buzzing sounds went away as well. I kinda feel silly that it was that easy, then again if it helps someone save on a unnecessary repair bill then all the better.

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008, 10:39:10 AM »
It might also help to know that on later models, Maytag did away with the bottom balance switch that was attached to the foam block under the front of the tub. It was decided that it was unnecessary, since the side switch and the top mercury switch was enough to monitor the tub balance. If you think the bottom switch was sticking, as you metioned messing with the button, then by all means feel free to disconnect that switch and wire nut the 2 leads together permanently. This will make one less thing to interrupt a perfectly good wash cycle.
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline GodZilla

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2008, 07:18:46 PM »
Well it started all over today.
It does the small spin to rinse but tehn gives out and stops before finishing the spin completely.
I took it all apart and did the same as above but no luck still wont get up to the maximum speed spin at the end. Funny this is that it worked earlier in the week without trouble but not it is back.

Does this mean the motor is going? Or what could be the cause?

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2008, 03:15:16 AM »
This means you have not gone thru the diagnostic tests according to the tech sheet. It's in the console behind the water level switch.  Perhaps you should start by using your OHM meter and checking the balance circuit you fiddled with last time. With the top up, you will notice that the entire spin balance loop connects at a white block on top of he tub near the back. Unplug this and check continuity thru the 2 wires to see if the spin balance switches make contact. All 3 switches on this loop are in series.

There are lots of reasons the MAH4000 will not achieve hi speed spin.

1.Timer
2. Balance switches
3. Motor control.
4. Door lock

Technicians run tests according to the tech sheet to determine what is wrong.  Since this machine has  both high and low voltage circuits, diagnosis is only for those who have good meter skills.

If I were you, I would replace the wax motor in the door first. When these begin to fail, you may  see the Locked light show up during the spin cycle, but the wax motor does not extend far enough to engage the  spin-enable switch on the door lock. An easy enough repair to see if the problem is corrected.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 05:05:25 AM by Repair-man »

Offline GodZilla

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2008, 01:32:01 PM »
I just wanted to add if it wast clear above. We set it to the last rinse the water goes in tries a few times(about 3) to get to high speed then gives out half way and the timer sounds. When the door is open the water is still in and nothing drains. I thought it was because of weight. So I made sure to drain all water from the front(with front panel off) then re run the rinse and still no drain. Lat time I took it all apart and some lint and stuff came out but nothing major that would cause a jam.

****So if the water does not exit when it is trying to spin does that kill the spin of the drum and not allow it to go to full speed? ***

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2008, 03:27:19 PM »
Replace the pump if you are satisfied there is nothing blocking it or the hose going out the back. Sometimes a clog will develop where the hose makes a bend exiting the cabinet.

To answer your question about the spin, the water pressure switch is detecting  water still in the sump and tub, so it will not allow a spin. The pump must drain the tub in 25 seconds or there is a problem.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 03:29:01 PM by Repair-man »

Offline GodZilla

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2008, 08:37:04 AM »
Now on the last spin cycle it spins for about 5 minutes where as before it would do it a few times in small increments. Still no water out so I am guessing that the pump needs to be replaced. And the wax motor. Are these easy to do or should I get a service guy to do it?

Online theoldstoveguy

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2008, 08:52:56 AM »
I have had 7 machines that had an obstruction in the drain hose, all gave the erratic problem you mention. Get a universal drain hose ( I have found @ hardware store, larger diameter ) that is the cheapest first step.
The excess noise may just be pump pressure behind the blockage.

Offline GodZilla

• VIP Member
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2008, 09:35:32 AM »
I found a huge block in the drain hose. Once out put it all back together and still wont spin at high speed and wont drain. I only took the main hose off and when I did the remaining water in the washer drained out no problem. So I assumed that the pump was fine. I am stumped since I thought the huge block would solve everything. Think it might be time to call the repair man. Unless you guys have other options.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2008, 11:32:16 AM »
Open up the pump and get the mess out of it.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2008, 01:04:23 PM »
Replace the pump before you call someone in.

WHIRLPOOL Drain Pump Part # 22003059

Offline GodZilla

• VIP Member
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2008, 08:10:37 PM »
Just took out the pump and all is clean. Now upon restart I herd the same loud brumming noise. So I opened the back and listened and put my hand on the pump it stopped let it go it makes a loud vibrating sound. So does this mean the pump is done? Reason I havent got a new pump is because its about $70 cnd plus tax 12% and wanted to be sure otherwise its cash out the door. So now would this makes things more cleared that it is the pump that is the problem?

Online theoldstoveguy

• Technician
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2008, 08:51:23 PM »
Does it spin at full speed when empty?

Maytag Neptune washer MAH4000AWW

Started by Sue

Replies: 8
Views: 8497
Last post February 09, 2013, 07:41:01 AM
by def
Maytag Neptune MAH4000AWW - No Spin.

Started by larry

Replies: 39
Views: 61136
Last post February 21, 2011, 01:22:14 PM
by bwhelan
Maytag Neptune MAH4000AWW Won't Drain Water / Smell

Started by mightymac

Replies: 22
Views: 24817
Last post February 15, 2013, 04:35:03 PM
by def
Maytag Neptune MAH4000AWW

Started by BOB V

Replies: 5
Views: 3546
Last post December 22, 2007, 06:36:49 AM
by AJ
Maytag Neptune MAH4000AWW

Started by scubachris

Replies: 5
Views: 2872
Last post December 22, 2007, 10:28:27 PM
by AJ
Maytag Neptune Mah4000aww will not go through cycles or spin...

Started by Mudd222

Replies: 11
Views: 5168
Last post April 23, 2013, 11:14:30 AM
by def