Author Topic: Will not spin without opening lid  (Read 2489 times)

Offline DJvol

• VIP Member
Will not spin without opening lid
« on: October 18, 2008, 03:31:08 PM »
Model Number: LSQ9659PW0 icon

I am having the exact same problem as what was posted by BigT October the 13th(washer will not spin until lid is opened).  Here is a brief history of how I got to this point.  About six weeks ago the transmission went out.  Fortunately I have an extended warranty to cover the work.  The problem with the spin cycle began after the transmission was replaced.  Since that time the serviceman has replaced the lid switch and the motor.  None of this has helped.  Just last night is when the new motor was installed.  The serviceman got on his Nextel and called a coworker.  After describing the problem to him he said it was the timer.  Obviously when reading the posting from BigT I can relate to what he is going thru.  Only thing puzzling me is the "blog" technician said the timer should allow a 15 second pause between the wash/rinse cycles and the spin cycles.  Mine is doing that.  Even after the pause, the same problem occurs.  I am wondering if the new transmission is part of this problem.  There have been 5 trips to look at or try to fix this washer and next week the plan is to replace the timer.  Does anyone have any ideas?  Could it still be the timer even though it seems to be doing it's job?  Lemon tranny?  Please advise.

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
Re: Will not spin without opening lid
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2008, 04:28:58 PM »
Let me clarify the pause thing...

There are actually 2 pauses. The first one occurs when the main wash cycle is done and it's time to drain. The machine stops agitating (pause), then goes into reverse direction to drain. When the draining has just about finished, there is the 2nd, and most important pause. This allows the Neutral Drain  mechanism in the tranny to engage and spin.

This is why you raising the lid switch works so well, the 2nd pause never  happens.  Replace the timer. Those must be some techs ya got there :)   5 trips would make my boss sorta cranky.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2008, 04:34:24 PM by Repair-man »
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline DJvol

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2008, 05:05:55 PM »
I agree with you on the multiple trips.  Only thing I can think of is they are being paid because of the extended warranty and are letting it slide.
I really appreciate your response and the pause clarification makes more sense than anything I could think of.  I can push the timer switch on and off and it would also engage.  By the way that is exactly the way I was trying to explain to the service company on the phone is after the lid was opened something would engage.  That is what made me think maybe the transmission was not doing it's job.  Obviously it wasn't but because of another problem.  Also thinking that because it had never happened until the transmission was replaced.
If for some reason the new timer doesn't work I am going to push the warranty company for a new washer.  It is only 2 years old.
Something else interesting is after the repairman removed the old motor I fould what appeared to be an inline electrical component laying on the floor.  It was about 2 inches long in what I will call a thick transparent blister pack (for lack of a better description).  I assumed that was to keep it dry.  It has small wires coming out of either end.  This appeared to have been torn off of something and I don't have a clue what.  The wires are very fine and were broken.  I looked up a wiring diagram to see if I could identify it.  I can only assume it had something to do with the washer.  Does this sound like anything you may have seen before?

Offline DJvol

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2008, 05:20:49 PM »
After thinking about your pause clarification even more, the 2 pauses, when it would engage and start spinning the water level was full and had not drained at all.  Sounds like you may have nailed this problem on the fist stab while it took these tech only about 3 (after the problem started).   Heck, with all the new parts I'll practically have a new washer.
Thank you very much for your expertise and I will use this site again if I have problems with appliances in the future.

Thanks again!! O0

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2008, 04:00:23 AM »
Heck, with all the new parts I'll practically have a new washer.

That's the way to look at it!  You'll not only have a new machine now, but if you play your cards right with the service company, you can get an extension on your warranty again.

Good luck!
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Won't advance into spin cycle without opening the lid

Started by big t

Replies: 25
Views: 5840
Last post October 13, 2008, 07:45:50 PM
by RegUS_PatOff
Whirlpool DD - HS Spin Only After Opening/Closing Lid

Started by oz

Replies: 9