Author Topic: Frigidaire Dryer Making Noise  (Read 6087 times)

Offline TechnicianBrian

• Technician
    • TechnicianBrian.com
Frigidaire Dryer Making Noise
« on: October 17, 2008, 09:43:36 PM »
Model #AEQ6000ES1, this electric dryer was making a rapid ticking noise during operation. The customer wasn't sure how long it had been making the noise, but figured it was time to get it looked at. All other functions seemed to operate as expected, and it was drying clothes just fine.

Because dryers are essentially a clothes tumbler with heat and air added, they are relatively simple in their operation, but they do contain several mechanical items that have the potential to start making noise. Whenever I am looking for a noise in a dryer, I start by listening to the noise to get a sense of which part of the machine it is coming from. Also, is the noise consistently reoccurring with a pattern or is it heard with no specific frequency. And finally, at what interval is the sound being made. From these three things, I can begin my search in a specific area of the machine. Then if the noise is consistent, I know it is most likely part of the mechanical system of the dryer. And if the noise is happening frequently, I look for the size of the components involved. Items with large diameters such as the drum will have a slower repeating noise than those smaller items such as a drum roller or idler that rotate quickly.

When I started this dryer, the noise was coming from the right rear of the unit which is the location of the motor. Frigidaire has conveniently provided an access cover behind the motor so components can be checked and cleaned without the need to remove the front panel for inspection. Behind the cover is the motor and the belt idler which maintains tension on the drum drive belt to prevent it from slipping. Because the noise was a very frequent click, I figured it was the idler roller itself. By applying a little pressure to the idler arm, I was able to hear a change in pitch, which told me I had found the problem.

With the drive belt removed, the idler roller and arm can easily be removed and replaced. Sometimes the roller can be removed, cleaned, and reinstalled and the noise will go away. But I wanted to ensure this noise is gone for good. I installed the new idler arm assemblyicon and this dryer was quiet (by comparison) once again.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: Frigidaire Dryer Making Noise
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 10:13:54 PM »
Brian a dude brought me a ge late model dryer today. Get this: the drum ate through the side of the dryer. When you open the door parts of the drum had eaten into the front. Talk about metal to metal noise. I was wondering when that person thought it might be appropiate to call attention to the problem. I ask my friend and he said it was not until the dryer started tearing up clothes did they worry about the problem. Sick ain't it. Tomorrow we is gonna take a crapped out hotpoint dryer and get parts off it to fix that dog.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline TechnicianBrian

• Technician
    • TechnicianBrian.com
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2008, 08:37:18 PM »
Hey JW,

Those dryers can really tear themselves up if you wait to long to get them fixed.  Once the drum starts eating into the plastic and damaging clothes, the cost goes way up for the repair.  I guess some people are very tolerant until its a little to late.

Brian

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2008, 09:33:48 PM »
Today my buddy brought over a GE dryer with a bad motor. We got all the stuff off it we needed and we still neaded a bearing and glides and to restring the heater element in the dryer. He had a SQ washer he picked up from an auction for 10 bucks. We fixed it too. I found nothing wrong with the washer except a broken strike. The previous owners had cut the cord and took all the hoses just because the lid strike broke.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline TechnicianBrian

• Technician
    • TechnicianBrian.com
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2008, 02:44:24 PM »
Hey JW,

Each week we have lots of used stuff out in our "bone yard" that we repair or remove parts off of to get other up and running.  Many times, the repair is easy to do and the part isn't to much either.  But the service rates in this area are in the $130's so much of the lower end stuff gets upgraded to something new.  The small time local guys do a good business with the used stuff making their money in volume I guess.  As long as the stuff breaks, we all remain gainfully employed and it doesn't look like anything being made these days is going to change that.  Gotta love it.

Brian

donate
$1, $2, $5, $10, $20, $50

LDG7304 Maytag Dryer - making a lot of noise.

Started by robert

Replies: 5
Views: 6833
Last post February 20, 2011, 07:33:06 PM
by jumptrout51
Amana dryer making noise

Started by bigvonne

Replies: 1
Views: 3105
Last post May 19, 2008, 12:53:38 PM
by apptech
Fisher & Paykel Dryer Making Noise