Forum > Heating & Air Conditioning Repair

PRESSURE GAUGE USE

<< < (2/2)

JWWebster:
Low loss fittings is what I was talking about.

diyguy:
Well here's the thing, I did purge them when I first hooked them up(which are low loss fittings by the way) so as to not get any air in the system, and when I disconnected them ;there was still some refigerant in the hoses so when I opened the fitting on the liquid line hose (after being disconnected) liquid started to come out, but by opening the valve on the high side of the gauges and then opening the compound side hose fitting a quick vapor released. Once again I'll ask though; does it make a difference if the unit is shut off before disconnecting?

Repair-man:
On a condenser unit, you will lose a lot less Freon if the unit is shut off. When running, the head pressure is over 200 PSI, when idle, only about 100 or so. You lose a lot of liquid in a short time if it is running when you  disconnect. With the special hoses they mentioned, you can disconnect running or not...there's basically no loss at the unit. Leave whatever is captured in the hose for the next  unit or recover it.

diyguy:
I'll do that and thanks to everyone for all the help  O0

Icehouse:
 :) When finished with any system, remove gauges as follows.
1. With unit running, close (back-seat) the "high-side" service valve if so equipped.
2. Remove "high-side" hose, and connect to holder.
3. Charging or center hose connected to holder
4. Open "high-side" hand wheel on gauge manifold
5. Open "low-side" hand wheel on gauge manifold allowing the  refrigerant to be pulled into the "low-side" or suction side of compressor.
6. Close both hand wheels on gauge manifold.
7. "Back-Seat" suction service valve if so equipped
8. Remove "low-side" hose.
9. Replace all caps'
By using this method you leave the refrigerant in the unit. This is espceilly important with "critical-charged" units.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version