Free Service - Appliance Repair Help & Troubleshooting

Author Topic: LG washer won't power up unless I turn breaker off and back on  (Read 28678 times)

Offline john63

• Technician
Re: LG washer won't power up unless I turn breaker off and back on
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2016, 07:58:29 PM »
Not being antagonistic at all---just stating the obvious based on experience.

The poster on EBay is offering an anecdotal observation/remedy---that he/she thinks is an answer for a symptom which is not entirely mysterious or rare.

There's plenty of television commercials---offering remedies for a variety of "ailments"---usually a pill.
Memory improvements/joint pain/supplements for testosterone/etc etc etc
All contain a brief fine print ---that these statements have not been verified by the Food & Drug administration to be valid.
In clinical trials for drugs---sometimes volunteer patients---will say that they are "feeling better" after participating a drug test program---even though they were given a placebo.

The Power Relay on the Main Board is failing (becomes intermittent)

In most cases---when the plug has been pulled from the receptacle---and then plugged back in---there will be a pronounced arc/spark at the wall receptacle that is both heard and seen. Followed by an ozone odor.
The washer will turn on and respond to commands/input and start a cycle (usually for one or two cycles).

Pressing the POWER button and/or START/PAUSE button---with the washer unplugged---accomplishes nothing.
The washer does not have "stand by" power or residual/battery back-up low voltage power---when unplugged.

I consider myself a very analytical type person (or scientific) as well.

Compared to some guy on EBay---I've got 34 years experience in the trade (12th year doing LG warranty)
There have been several Training Instructors over the years that are former field technicians---and now have degrees in engineering.
Believe me when I say this---if the EBay Remedy---was valid---LG would be disseminating that "trick" to every one of it's techs (cheaper than replacing a Main Board)

A computer glitch in an LG washer would be more like this....

Customer: I cannot enable/activate my TUB CLEAN CYCLE in my washer

john63: Is the SPIN SENSE option enabled? (or in other words---is the SPIN SPEED selector indicator lamp *flashing* ?)

Customer: Uh,hold on---------yes! the Spin Speed lamp is flashing continuously...

john63: Is the washer model number WM2487xxx?

Customer: Yeah---how'd you know that?

john63: A familiar symptom---all WM2487 models have a software glitch that---if the SPIN SENSE feature/option has been enabled (turned on)---the controls will "lock out" the TUB CLEAN cycle option
To use TUB CLEAN---disable the SPIN SENSE feature---then follow the normal TUB CLEAN activation procedure (pressing a specific button for about 6 seconds)

Offline veshman

• VIP Member
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2016, 10:22:31 PM »
Hi, thanks for the response. It's obvious that you and the others really care about this stuff and are very generous with your knowledge based on the time and detail provided in posts.

But, I am going to challenge you on the content of your response. It really seems like you're more offended and unopen to the idea that any kind of knowledge could possibly come from any source outside of your official channels.

It's interesting that you bring up the FDA, because I'm actually a doctor by profession... if we only prescribed based on what the FDA said, meaning if there was no off-label use of medication, then we would have about 15% of the treatments we currently do. Aspirin would not make it through the FDA process nowadays. Just because the FDA hasn't validated a treatment DOES NOT mean that it doesn't work.

This is very analogous to the logic process you are demonstrating. If it wasn't told to you by LG and your 34 years of experience, it cannot possibly be true. That level of narrow thinking very much precludes your from the wide process of hypothesis creation and generation of a deep differential diagnosis. You've already limited your list of possibilities before you even started the process of diagnosis.

You are SO certain that your knowledge is correct, that you've clearly decided that everything that I have observed and stated clearly and factually hasn't even registered, and you've not offered any hypothesis as to what's going on.

Pressing the POWER button and/or START/PAUSE button---with the washer unplugged---accomplishes nothing.
The washer does not have "stand by" power or residual/battery back-up low voltage power---when unplugged.

On the above quote, I completely disagree with you. Something is definitely happening with that procedure. Your confidence based on *what you have been told* precludes you from even considering what I'm relaying to you. Sure there may not be a back up system, but there could be some capacitive electrical reserve that needs to be discharged. Maybe I can press any buttons in any sequence, I don't know. In fact, if this ever happens again, I'll try a few other button presses to see what happens.

Believe me when I say this---if the EBay Remedy---was valid---LG would be disseminating that "trick" to every one of it's techs (cheaper than replacing a Main Board)

This is a valid argument based on a lot of assumptions that you're taking at face value, and honestly, the odds are in your favor. But, you're assuming LG knows that there might be an easy fix, or that they prefer to do a hack rather than replace the board (there are a lot of reasons they'd rather replace the board beyond short term economics), or that they have excellent processes in place for accumulating and disseminating this information (I'm going to take a guess here and assume that they don't have a kick ass bug/feature reporting system).

But, if you always went with current expert wisdom, in the 1400s you'd know for CERTAIN that the world was flat, earth was at the center of the universe, witches put a spell on your neighbor and the epileptic person next door was possessed by the devil. And if you had no reason to question what had been told to you.... I mean, why would the church lie to you....

Look, I'm not saying that you guys aren't right about the root cause...there's probably something broken with the module you're talking about and I'll have to get it replaced. But to have you guys completely dismiss something that IS actually a fix, albeit short-term, without even giving a decent explanation (which you haven't, btw), just means you're arrogant or narrow-minded, or way too sure in your skills. FWIW - most doctors have problems with this too -- not listening to their patients, assuming they know more, not taking a step back to just open their mind and try to re-frame and re-build their knowledge tree.

The only thing I read in what you had written below that might offer an explanation to why the "eBay procedure" worked at all is the following:

The Power Relay on the Main Board is failing (becomes intermittent)

But I'm not even sure. You go on to talk about Ozone (which I don't smell) and to refute that Power/Play does anything (which it does - And which I'll guess - You've never tried).

No actual hypothesis was presented as to why this procedure I've actually experienced worked. The whole explanation so far seems to be that I found a coincidence where none exists because the powers that be haven't told you it's a possibility.

I won't even go into the software glitch issue.. well maybe a little. You didn't really describe a glitch. You described a user-unfriendly feature. Software glitches could occur because of a faulty RAM address on a motherboard, or a bad capacitor or resistor somewhere, or a stack overflow or buffer overflow that occurs when an event count gets too high, but the event rate is so low that there aren't enough events in aggregate to have been caught before alpha and beta testing of the software. Glitches are sometimes predictable and sometimes not, depending on both hardware and software.

I really do appreciate the time that you took to respond. Again, as I stated at the outset, it's very clear that the members of this board truly care and want to give back. You guys are generous with your knowledge and are earnestly helpful. That's why I registered in the first place, and that's definitely why I'm sitting here posting this missive. But I do think you're not challenging yourself enough to keep an open mind. And I'll admit that my solution isn't the best one, but you'll have to admit that it is one.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 10:35:45 PM by veshman »

Offline john63

• Technician
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2016, 10:48:04 PM »
If the washer works---and the button sequence is acceptable---then we're done aren't we?  :)

God Bless & Good Luck

Offline Raiderspy1

• VIP Member
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2016, 08:39:46 AM »
Lets see if I can help. Unplug the washer. First push and hold the left power button for 5 seconds (just to be safe go 6 seconds) then push and hold the right start button 5 seconds ( again go for 6 seconds). Then plug the unit back in and do a small load . After its done, of coarse take your load out, shut the door, and push the left power button and see if it starts up. If it does, great its fixed. If not please leave a note.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 08:40:37 AM by Raiderspy1 »

Replaced main power board in washer but can't get its lid back on

Started by Kathy Langley Robinson

Replies: 1
Views: 1583
Last post October 29, 2013, 08:49:25 PM
by Blaiser
LG Washer will not power up unless flip circuit breaker

Started by lamelby

Replies: 4
Views: 3140
Last post September 28, 2014, 09:44:37 AM
by jpercy
Kenmore Washer Leaking out the Back

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 0
Views: 3973
Last post July 15, 2008, 06:55:56 AM
by TechnicianBrian
GE washer no power

Started by netdogg3

Replies: 0
Views: 3042
Last post October 27, 2008, 01:34:00 PM
by netdogg3
Amana top loading washer won't drain, spin and pops circuit breaker

Started by frankcappi

Replies: 2
Views: 4314
Last post December 30, 2008, 08:03:22 PM
by Repair-man
Putting agitatior back on my whirlpool washer.

Started by spero

Replies: 1
Views: 1670
Last post March 26, 2009, 06:57:25 AM
by whirlpooltech