Author Topic: Whirlpool Cabrio Mod wtww5640xw0 Motor won't start  (Read 322 times)

Offline Cadman

• VIP Member
Whirlpool Cabrio Mod wtww5640xw0 Motor won't start
« on: September 17, 2014, 04:32:04 PM »
A few months after replacing a Mode shift actuator, my Cabrio is acting up again. Now it will not start, the motor hums and the washer has to be unplugged to get it to stop. I assume it will kick out on overload if I wait long enough, but letting it sit there cooking can't be good so I unplug after a few seconds.

Diagnostics brings up first an F1 E2. After clearing the code, I now get F2 E1. We are talking some expensive parts here so I am hoping someone has had more direct experience with this model.

Offline rockinrobin

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • Ransom Mobile Appliance Repair Service
Re: Whirlpool Cabrio Mod wtww5640xw0 Motor won't start
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 06:42:45 PM »
A few months after replacing a Mode shift actuator, my Cabrio is acting up again. Now it will not start, the motor hums and the washer has to be unplugged to get it to stop. I assume it will kick out on overload if I wait long enough, but letting it sit there cooking can't be good so I unplug after a few seconds.

Diagnostics brings up first an F1 E2. After clearing the code, I now get F2 E1. We are talking some expensive parts here so I am hoping someone has had more direct experience with this model.
The Tech Sheet is located inside the Front Panel (must lift Top Panel to access).
F1E2 means Motor Fault, issue could be related to the Capacitor (black round part with 2 wires, it's located next to the Mode Shift Actuator).
F2E1 means Stuck Key (see tech sheet)
You can order the Capacitor from APP below who allows returns if it doesn't resolve your issue (also comes with a 1 Year Warranty)
http://www.appliancepartspros.com/whirlpool-capacitor-w10278117-ap4539703.html

Offline Cadman

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 07:21:46 PM »
Looks like I misread the tech sheet for the 2nd code. Motor fault could be the problem. The motor acts like it wants to start when I spin the pulley and that does sound like a capacitor. But one thing that makes me kind of doubt that is when the washer does it's sensing routine and bumps the motor. It's very brief, but the motor seems to start without problem.

I think I can afford to shell out $45 on this washer. I sure miss my old Maytag. Got over 15 years out of that one and never replaced anything.

thanks rockinrobin for the help.

Offline rockinrobin

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 09:03:38 PM »
Looks like I misread the tech sheet for the 2nd code. Motor fault could be the problem. The motor acts like it wants to start when I spin the pulley and that does sound like a capacitor. But one thing that makes me kind of doubt that is when the washer does it's sensing routine and bumps the motor. It's very brief, but the motor seems to start without problem.

I think I can afford to shell out $45 on this washer. I sure miss my old Maytag. Got over 15 years out of that one and never replaced anything.

thanks rockinrobin for the help.
Be sure the nut on the big pulley (located under transmission) is tight.  If the nut is loose then you'll need to eventually put Blue Lock-Tite (available at hardware store) on the nut threads.
Be sure the wire harness connector to the motor is pushed in all the way.
Remove the belt and run the Drain/Spin Cycle to see if the Motor Pulley will Spin.
If you have a Digital Multimeter then you can do some testing regarding the F1E2 Code.
On this particular model, I replaced the Capacitor due to a Motor Fault and it resolved the issue.

Offline Cadman

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 01:12:43 PM »
I did all the basic stuff. Motor turns free, electrical connections good. I have a meter but is not precise enough for some testing. I was trying to get into the correct mode for further testing, but my washer just cycles through a few modes and repeats never advancing into the motor diagnostic mode. Makes me wonder if the stuck key code is correct. Any way capacitor is on the way and I will report back if that fixes it.

Offline rockinrobin

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 01:30:55 PM »
I did all the basic stuff. Motor turns free, electrical connections good. I have a meter but is not precise enough for some testing. I was trying to get into the correct mode for further testing, but my washer just cycles through a few modes and repeats never advancing into the motor diagnostic mode. Makes me wonder if the stuck key code is correct. Any way capacitor is on the way and I will report back if that fixes it.
If Drive Motor runs during Spin with Belt removed then Capacitor is OK.
Be sure you can rotate the Basket freely both direction's, if not then you may have something stuck between the Basket & Tub.
Link below to download the Service/Repair Manual and view Video's to assist you with disassembly procedure
http://appliancejunk.com/forums/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=434

Offline Cadman

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2014, 06:55:29 PM »
No joy, new capacitor didn't fix it. Tub rotates freely. It acts as if the motor is trying to start, but just sits there and hums. I did notice that the LED on the back of the controller board goes out when it tries to start. Front panel stays illuminated and displays work, but hitting the power button does not stop power from flowing to the motor and it will continue to hum until I unplug it.

Motor looks OK, windings are not discolored, turns freely.

Error code still reads F1 E2.

So bad motor controller??

Offline rockinrobin

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2014, 08:30:57 PM »
No joy, new capacitor didn't fix it. Tub rotates freely. It acts as if the motor is trying to start, but just sits there and hums. I did notice that the LED on the back of the controller board goes out when it tries to start. Front panel stays illuminated and displays work, but hitting the power button does not stop power from flowing to the motor and it will continue to hum until I unplug it.

Motor looks OK, windings are not discolored, turns freely.

Error code still reads F1 E2.

So bad motor controller??
I assume the Basket rotated freely both direction's with the Drive Belt installed.
Be sure the White Plastic Lever on the Mode Shift Actuator is inserted into the center of the Splutch Cam Ring (white round plastic piece).
Run the Calibration Mode (see Tech Sheet under Diagnostic Test Modes), afterwards run the Drain/Spin Cycle to see if it will work properly.
If it doesn't resolve your issue then go through all tests on #3b: Drive System - Motor.
Problem could be the Wire Harness, Drive Motor (has a Start & Run switch built in) or Main Control Board or possibly the Mode Shifter Actuator (check for Continuity/Ohm's)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 08:40:58 PM by rockinrobin »

Offline Cadman

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2014, 11:02:51 AM »
I assume the Basket rotated freely both direction's with the Drive Belt installed.
Yes, free rotation no binding.

Quote from: rockinrobin
Be sure the White Plastic Lever on the Mode Shift Actuator is inserted into the center of the Splutch Cam Ring (white round plastic piece).
OK, Mode shift actuator replaced a few months ago.
Run the Calibration Mode (see Tech Sheet under Diagnostic Test Modes), afterwards run the Drain/Spin Cycle to see if it will work properly.

I can't seem to get past test mode and then I can only cycle thru 4 selections before repeating. I can clear codes on one step, display the error code listed below, and then the other steps give me E0F0 and then I am back to flashing CL, etc. 

If it doesn't resolve your issue then go through all tests on #3b: Drive System - Motor.
Problem could be the Wire Harness, Drive Motor (has a Start & Run switch built in) or Main Control Board or possibly the Mode Shifter Actuator (check for Continuity/Ohm's)

I picked up a (slightly) better meter and will check continuity tonight. But shouldn't the main board LED remain illuminated during a cycle? As I described earlier when the motor gets stuck in start mode (humming) that light goes out and the front panel buttons have no effect. That is the main/motor control board isn't it? image attached.

Offline rockinrobin

• Technician
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2014, 12:53:27 PM »
When the LED Light Turns Off then the board is cutting power and motor is still humming means that your only getting power from the Capacitor.
Did you remove the Belt and run the Drain/Spin Cycle to see if Motor will run (pulley should only be spinning one direction).
Check for AC Voltage at the Motor under Test #3b (see diagrams for proper wire's to check).
You can order the Main Control Board from the following site and if it doesn't resolve your issue then you can return it
http://www.appliancepartspros.com/whirlpool-electronic-control-board-w10393444-ap5185370.html
If you have proper AC Voltage going to the Motor but it only hums with (or without) belt then replace the Motor
http://www.appliancepartspros.com/whirlpool-motor-drve-w10249628-ap4539682.html

NOTE: After replacing any electrical part's or reconnecting any wire's, you must run the Calibration Mode first.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 12:59:56 PM by rockinrobin »

Offline Cadman

• VIP Member
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2014, 10:52:14 AM »
Main Control Board was the problem. Fixed now.

For future reference the LED on the board should NOT go out. It remains illuminated during the cycles. When I get time I will open up the old board and see if I can figure out what failed.

Whirlpool Cabrio washer shuts down at start of spin & lid lock light flashes

Started by tagarman

Replies: 9
Views: 16454
Last post January 24, 2014, 07:30:41 PM
by Try2fixem
Video: Whirlpool Washer Motor - Bad connection..

Started by AJ

Replies: 3
Views: 3045
Last post July 29, 2013, 06:32:05 PM
by AJ
Video: Whirlpool Made Direct Drive Washer Motor Coupler Replacement

Started by AJ

Replies: 18
Views: 42431
Last post May 18, 2010, 06:53:50 AM
by gimpyjones
ApplianceJunk.com first pdf repair guide - Whirlpool Washer Motor Coupler