365-Day Hassle Free Return Policy!  ·  AppliancePartsPros.com
Washer PartsDryer PartsRefrigerator PartsDishwasher PartsRange & Oven PartsAll Appliance Parts

Author Topic: Kenmore 796.40272900 "de" door Error  (Read 97 times)

Offline enewton77

• VIP Member
Kenmore 796.40272900 "de" door Error
« on: August 29, 2015, 09:31:04 AM »
I have a Kenmore 796.40272900 front loader and I am getting a "de" door error.  The machine has power, but every time I try to start a cycle, I get 2 clicks and the de door error will pop up in the display.  At this point, I have purchased and replaced the door switch and it has not solved the problem. I still get the same error code. :tickedoff:   I have also purchased and replace the main board and it has not solved the problem. :tickedoff:  So I am just wondering what my next steps should be....wire harness perhaps?...I also read at one Sears forums that a part on the door is causing the door not to sit right.  This is what it read....

"the door is out of position when the door is closed preventing the latch from opening properly resulting in the de error code. you will need to replace the inner door frame over the hinge. this piece has been modified to make sure the door is in the proper position for the latch to operate correctly.. the part number is mdq61882301"

For some reason, the above comment relating to the door part isn't making any sense because there is no warping of this particular door part...and, it has worked for years.  Anyway, just wanted to see if anyone out there in repair land can offer some suggestions.  I am frustrated, spending a lot of money trying to figure this out, and the laundry is piling up...LOL.

Online Appliance Savers

• VIP Member
  • www.appliancesavers.com
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • Appliance  Savers of Gainesville Florida
Re: Kenmore 796.40272900 "de" door Error
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2015, 10:57:55 AM »
I've seen this once before on an LG frontloader with the same doorswitch. I determined that the door was not aligned properly because it would not shut all the way if you just let it go. It would stop about 2 inches away from closing, then you would have to push it closed. I had to make an adjustment to the door latch because my client didn't want to buy the whole the door. I'll tell you what I did. So, on the door itself, you see the door hook. It is springloaded. When you close the door, that hook pushes against a slider/actuator on the door latch which tells the control board the door is locked. Over time the door alignment loses integrity. It may catch onto the latch just fine and appear to be closed and ready to wash, but the actuator never slides over all the way. The actuator has a tab that is pushed against when the door closes and the doorhook springs forward to slide it all the way over. I just bent that tab out so that the springloaded doorhook can push against it and slide it all the way over.

Offline enewton77

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2015, 11:14:15 AM »
Thanks for the reply....I will take a closer look at the door itself and examine the alignment as well as look at the actuator.  I will let you know how it goes.

Offline enewton77

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2015, 05:28:09 PM »
Ok...so I examined the door and it's alignment and all looks good.  I also took a look at the actuator and I did see that it slides when the door hook goes in.  So what I did was inserted an object into the hole where the hook would go and made sure that it released the 2 plastic tabs that are at the top & bottom of the entrance to the hole.... making sure that the actuator slid all the way to the right to "simulate" as if the hook was inside and the door was closed.  I still got the de error. Hope I explained the right.

Unless I'm missing something, or perhaps your can suggest another possible remedy for the latch/door...I'm starting to think it might be the wire harness.

Online Appliance Savers

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2015, 06:20:04 PM »
Yup you explained it just fine... The slider was the problem I had. As far as the rest goes, you've swapped the switch and the control board.... it is hard to say, since you made sure the slider was actuated, it should have worked even with the door open... check wiring
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 06:20:45 PM by Appliance Savers »

Offline wildimaginations

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: Today at 06:29:13 PM »
I did something different.  I actually removed the door latch from the door assembly and found the pin holding the latch and spring to the plastic trim was bent.  Removed the pin to straighten it out and reassembled the whole door.  Everything worked perfectly.  Even the door closed and latched properly. 
Appliance Service Technician
Authorized servicer on LG appliances.
About 45 mins east of San Francisco

Online Appliance Savers

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: Today at 07:12:53 PM »
Cool beans.

My Maytag gives the error code "do" and the door is closed.

Started by briancalhoun

Replies: 2
Views: 2097
Last post August 15, 2009, 12:14:54 PM
by briancalhoun
Kenmore/Whirlpool Calypso "FL" error code

Started by mdevera211

Replies: 1
Views: 4587
Last post August 07, 2010, 02:40:51 PM
by JWWebster
Arghh *&$#@! Please lend a hand. LG WD-3274RHD door switch error "dE" from hell

Started by ThunderHammer

Replies: 9
Views: 2343
Last post September 10, 2012, 06:32:22 PM
by AJ
one more "kenmore washer not spinning" thread

Started by idave03

Replies: 3
Views: 3760
Last post May 12, 2008, 03:11:05 PM
by idave03
GE frontload washer says "door locked" and won't cycle.

Started by hhrussell

Views: 5885
Last post April 27, 2009, 04:30:36 AM
by Repair-man
Kenmore "Stylemaster 909209" washing machine prob.

Started by Tcheucter

Views: 4260
Last post December 19, 2009, 10:19:39 PM
by JWWebster