Free Service - Appliance Repair Help & Troubleshooting

Author Topic: Could it be the pressure switch?  (Read 86 times)

Offline Zb555

• VIP Member
Could it be the pressure switch?
« on: June 25, 2016, 11:26:18 AM »
so I have a call for a whirlpool WTW5600VQ0 that the complaint was the timer doesn't advance. I went one I checked to ensure it wasn't the lid switch. It's filling and then switching, but it's getting caught up on the rinse cycle. Unless you advance it. So I pulled tube off the pressure switch at the tub and blew into it and it would kick in the time. So I checked the tube for debris and I'm all good. I blew through the hose into the tub and got bubbles and took the cabinet off and tub cap and could see there's nothing in front of the pressure switch to jam it up.

My thought is that it's the pressure switch that needs to be changed, could it be that the pressure switch will activate during fill because of how quickly it's filling, but losing pressure during the rinse because of how slow it fills?

Thanks,
-Zac

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
Re: Could it be the pressure switch?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2016, 09:17:54 PM »
could it be that the pressure switch will activate during fill because of how quickly it's filling, but losing pressure during the rinse because of how slow it fills?

I don't believe so.

Offline Zb555

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2016, 09:22:41 PM »
Then I'm confused. If it was the timer it shouldn't go when I add pressure to the switch right?  I don't get why the pressure switch would work on the fill and not on the rinse. If I blow through the tube it will allow the timer to continue. Then I'll go through the full spin cycle. What else would cause it to stop at the rinse cycle?

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2016, 09:23:16 PM »
it's getting caught up on the rinse cycle. Unless you advance it.

How so? It just keeps filling with rinse water?
If so the water maybe siphoning out durning the rinse cycle.

Offline Zb555

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2016, 09:29:47 PM »
I don't see water leaking anywhere to siphone out. They did say one of the times they had did on the top and a small amount of water on the floor but if the pressure switch would stop the fill cycle why wouldn't it stop the rinse cycle? I've stopped it from filling from the rinse when it reaches about 3/4's full of water on the rinse.

I can check the drain pump to see if it's slowly leaking but with how long I was there I feel like I would've see the leak.

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2016, 09:50:41 PM »
A water leak and water siphoning out of the washer are two different things.
Water leaking out would end up on the floor. Water siphoning out of the washer ends up going out the drain hose. You won't see any water on the floor if the water is being siphoned out of the washer.

if the pressure switch would stop the fill cycle why wouldn't it stop the rinse cycle? I've stopped it from filling from the rinse when it reaches about 3/4's full of water on the rinse.

If the washer fill's to 3/4's full it's probably not a problem with it siphoning.

What happens if you don't stop it from filling during the rinse cycle? Does the washer over fill to the top of the washer if you don't stop it?

Offline Zb555

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2016, 09:57:22 PM »
They have said it stops itself. I honestly haven't seen it go past 3/4 because I took there word for it. I'm going back in a couple days which is why I'm looking for some help with which way to look.

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2016, 10:13:45 PM »
If it was the timer it shouldn't go when I add pressure to the switch right?

Correct

How about the dome that is on the outside of the outer tub that the other end of the pressure switch hose connects to, is it clean inside?
Any chance of there being a pin hole in the pressure switch hose?

Sure sounds like something with the pressure switch. If hose is ok and everything before the switch is clear and clean then I would go ahead and try a new pressure switch.

Offline Zb555

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2016, 10:22:00 PM »
Yea I've looked in the dome and it looks clear. I took the cap off and looked in the tub and don't see a sock or anything in there jamming it up. I blew into it and heard bubbles. I though of a pin hole too. I appreciate your help. I'm glad to see with the symptoms given your coming to the same conclusions as me. I'm sitting here going nuts over it

How to get to the pressure switch?

Started by needhelp!

Replies: 2
Views: 1725
Last post October 23, 2009, 08:37:34 AM
by theoldstoveguy
Top-load washer overflows but pressure switch and tube are good

Started by nholling

Replies: 1
Views: 3254
Last post December 11, 2009, 09:17:34 AM
by JWWebster