Author Topic: LWL203AC Washer won't spin, Nordge Top Load  (Read 4415 times)

Offline Rusty99

• VIP Member
LWL203AC Washer won't spin, Nordge Top Load
« on: October 09, 2008, 06:40:40 PM »
Hi,
I have a 17 yr old Norge 20lb capacity top load washing machine.  Haven't seen or heard about any Norges elsewhere.

When it comes to the spin cycle all the water drains out quickly but it does not spin. However it makes the sound like it is spinning. The noise fooled me for a while until I lifted the lid just a little to peak inside.

The clothes come out soaking wet.  I've given it a amateur once over, I know very little if anything about washing machines. Although I've done the 90 second test to ensure water drains out quickly

Any ideas or tests that I can perform, to diagnose the problem.  I'm hesitant to have a repair man come out. Its likely gonna cost me at least $200.  If its a simple cheapish solution then I'll fix it or have repair person fix it. If its a costly repair, I would rather put the money into a new washer if needed.

Cheers

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: Washer won't spin, Nordge Top Load
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 09:11:17 PM »
Rusty that's gonna be the old Thrust washer kit problem. The way that washer works is when it washes it is going in a clockwise motion and the innards of that tranny are all doing the old gear thang and making that agitator go back and forth a tossing them clothes around while the brake spring is firmly holding down the tub. If the brake failed to hold the tub in place then the clothes would get all tangled up and it would not be pretty. The pump cannot move any water because it is forcing the water backwards into the tub. The motor comes to a screaming halt and rests for a minute. The timer then changes the polarity in the motor windings and the motor turns counter clockwise now. The pump starts pumping out the water now. The brake package gets released by the thrust bearing kit and the drum suddenly is free from bondage. It starts to rotate, It gets faster and faster until it is a hurricane extractor a slanging out every last bit of water from them there clothes. So what goes wrong? The bearing wears out. the pulley has a cam riser on it the raises the tub and releases the brake. The kit comes with a new pulley and assorted parts to make that machine all nice nice once more. The main issue in replacing the kit is: All items must be replaced in the order they came off. AND you have to know a way to compress that 200 pound spring that is holding the tub down. The kit comes with assorted washers along with that famous Thrust bearing. If you get too many washers on it the tub will move during washing. BAD. if you don't put enough then the brake will not release and you will have what you have now. I use a claw tool to compress the brake package to make the job easier. other Hercules type peeps in this forum claim they can do it while standing on their heads with a flat blade screwdriver. Whatever floats yer boat.:D
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 09:13:20 PM »
By the way they want a series number from you to sell you the correct thrust washer kit. The first 2 numbers in the serial number is the series number. If you serial number starts with a 10 then that is the series number
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 09:42:10 PM »
Norge is one of the Maycor brands. So is Magic Chef, Amana & Admiral.

What is likely needed here is this kit: parts #12002213. All series now use this kit. Instructions included. No special tools.

MAYTAG 12002213 Thrust Bearing Kit, AP4009132

« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 09:44:17 PM by Repair-man »
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 09:59:35 PM »
Wow RM now that is cool I did not know that.I also noticed they don't have the pulley in there either.Now let me get this straight do we use all of the washers in this new kit or either the thick one verses the thin one like in previous versions?
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline RegUS_PatOff

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2008, 10:33:32 PM »
After leaving this Earth, "Do you want the smoking or non-smoking section?"

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2008, 10:34:50 PM »
The new kit has an encapsulated bearing, unlike the set of 4 washers and bearing that came before. It's basically a 2-piece operation now, and yes there is a new drive pulley in the kit, although I opted not to show it. If you type the part number above into the lookup, you can see all the accoutrements.

You don't have to use both washers that come with the kit, if you do you'll have a very hard time installing the C-clip. In most cases you'll need the thinner washer as long as the brake releases in the marked spots on the drive pulley
« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 10:40:50 PM by Repair-man »

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2008, 10:42:51 PM »
So now once more Kimosabe give us your rendition of how you would install this kit porvavor :D
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Rusty99

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2008, 12:28:31 AM »
Wow, thanks for the great info. To be honest it sounds a lot more complicated than I'm capable of doing, or have time for at the moment. :-\ Especially compressing that big spring.  ???

So whats your best guess on parts costs and how much time (labor hours...) In other words is this worth the cost to have a repair person fix it? Or am I better off replacing it entirely with a new washer?

Thanks again

Rusty

Offline Rusty99

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2008, 12:31:45 AM »
Just looked up the price for parts is about $24 online regularly about $40, so how much time do you figure a repair person would bill?

Offline consumer

• VIP Member
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2008, 06:03:59 AM »
Just signed up and came across this thread. Query was nicely solved. Hope I my queries will also be solved...
If across the Atlantic the ideology was pride, here it is delivering the goods.

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2008, 07:01:05 AM »
Rusty;

Whatever you have been led to believe, there is no spring to compress. The parts in this kit fit snugly under the spring and do not compress it unless the pulley is turned. (Some of these techs are still stuck in the dark ages and use things like lug nuts and duct tape to make repairs.)

The thrust bearing requires only a pair of needle nose pliers or even a flat blade screwdriver to release a single C-clip on the lower shaft. The parts simply slip onto the shaft and you re-install the clip. One you see the easy to follow instructions in the kit, you  will slap yourself for not having performed this easy job sooner.

This is not the repair that requires any brake tools, etc. You just lean the machine back far enough to lay in front and  slip the old pulley and bearing off from underneath. No disassembly of the machine itself is required other than the lower pulley. 

Price your repair at the 30-minute rate and go for it!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 07:12:08 AM by Repair-man »

Offline Rusty99

• VIP Member
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2008, 08:46:50 PM »
So I bought the thrust bearing kit and I'm having difficulty installing it. Most of the parts seem a bit different from the ones currently installed.

To make it worse when I popped the retaining ring clip off, all the washers and pully jumped off all over the place and I'm not sure what order it goes back together. I've tried to use the diagrams in the instructions but don't seem that clear.

All the original parts that came off, look to be in good condition. How can I be sure I need to replace the thrust bearing? Wondering if this is not the solution to my washer not spinning

I'm really confused as to the order of things to be placed on from the new kit. These instructions are not clear enough. Does anyone have better diagrams or instructions? :-\

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2008, 09:07:34 PM »
What you have is a series of washers then the thrust washer then the pulley and then the clip to hold it all in place. If you have it close then it will be very hard to put the clip on. I tried a claw hammer to push against the brake spring but the head of the hammer won't allow for it to pass through the main pulley. I tried a wide blade long screwdriver but I couldn't get the leverage a hammer has. So Tryed a claw. It is like a hammer without the head. It makes it easy. If you have too many washers then the brake will be released and the tub will turn freely(no good), If you do not have enough then the brake will not release the tub. So you gotta keep adding thin or thick washers till you get the right combo. Farting around with this method will wear a dude out who has to stand on his Head with the washer tilted backward using a flat blade screwdriver. So I opt for the claw.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 09:15:24 PM by JWWebster »
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Rusty99

• VIP Member
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2008, 09:41:57 PM »
How can I be sure that its the thrust bearing thats worn out.  The old bearing seems to be a bunch of rollers/bearing embedded in a washer. Then you place 2 bigger washers on either side.

The new bearing is an enclosed unit, right?

The original bearing rolls fine. And all the place parts in the cogs are ok aswell. So am I on the right track here with replacing the thrust bearing?

GE Front Load Washer Noisy During Spin Cycle

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 0
Views: 5695
Last post August 25, 2008, 07:01:33 AM
by TechnicianBrian
Frigidaire top load washer will not drain/spin

Started by wambango

Replies: 2
Views: 7501
Last post October 20, 2008, 02:51:41 PM
by JWWebster