Author Topic: Appliance Repair Franchise??  (Read 2220 times)

Offline KFHAWK

• VIP Member
Appliance Repair Franchise??
« on: July 23, 2013, 06:14:42 AM »
After 25 years of working in corporate jobs, I'm looking to make a career change.  I am strongly considering buying into and managing an appliance repair franchise.   I'm looking to hear from others who have been down this road and are willing to share their experiences good, bad or otherwise.  I am also interested in hearing what others may think about going the franchise route altogether.  Thanks in advance, and what a great forum!!

Offline go400

• Technician
Re: Appliance Repair Franchise??
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 06:24:01 AM »
It really depends what the repair market is like in your area. I live in a good repair market, but I am sure many areas have a repair
 market that wants discounts and most use a web site like Ange's list or Google, or a referral. A few Repair companies here, went out of business as they
charged too much. Other sites like Sears or Appliance doctor are presently not active in my area.

Offline Bailey

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 09:29:45 AM »
Mr. Appliance kept calling me for several years. Finally I said give me more information. They wanted to fly me to Texas for a presentation. I did some research and decided they really couldn't do anything for me to improve my business other than raise my prices and charge a franchise fee.At that time I had been on my own for about 15 years, but if I was just starting out and didn't have any experience it might seem more appealing.

Offline go400

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2013, 03:46:46 AM »
Bailey mentions something I found out. A worker that used to work for me worked for Sears. He found out that a lot
 of his co-workers were not that good, or lacked critical experience. Personally, I wouldn't want to work for a co. that
 has this kind of work force.

Offline KFHAWK

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2013, 10:00:00 PM »
Really appreciate the feedback.  I've decided to attend the company's annual reunion this year to talk with some folks who have already taken the plunge.  Will update this thread when I return. 

Offline Wedgeman55

• Technician
  • Man vs Appliance - Never give up, Never surrender
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 03:10:38 AM »
My thoughts on a franchise. - If you were in corporate and have no experience doing appliances,  you will be relying on you workers for your income.    I would suggest that you first invest some money and attend some classes from the major manufactures,  an appliance college like Freds,  or at least try to understand what you are getting into.    I used to work for a big company,  and I had a service force under me.   I trained them,  and Knew what they were doing wrong or right.   If you are trying to run an appliance business with no core knowledge of appliance repair itself,  that would put you in a position where employees could easily pull the so called "wool over your eyes".   

My decision was easy when I decided to start my business.........  Company was out of business,  I could either go with another company  (which I could have) or start my own.     I did look at an existing company that was for sale,   and did check out franchises,   but in the end I decided to do it on my own.   Which now I am so glad I did it the way I did.     No franchise fees,  no conforming to certain things I disagree with.     I do know a Subway owner who can't vary his menu at all.     He wanted to sell some kind of dessert and Subway told him he couldn't do it.   

Now,  If you would attend some classes,  get a feel for it from a management standpoint,   you might be better off.     As someone who used to run a service staff,    I can tell you it is far better to have knowledge of what your men (or women) are repairing and what is involved than to be totally out of Sorts on the repairs.     Being in corporate, you probably have the management skills,  you need understanding of this type of business.    Maybe then it would be easier to decide if you wanted to try a franchise or try opening one on your own without franchise help.     

Since you would have to hire experienced help,   maybe I would try running an ad in local papers and take some applications for potential help.    Tell them it will be a new company.    See what kind of response you get.    I will tell you this.   Most of the good techs in my area have their own companies.     In this business,  if one of your guys start getting good,   and start getting a customer base of their own together,   Often times they leave.     I can think off the top of my head at least 6 of the guys I hired years ago that have gone on to start and run their own companies.     That helps,  I have lots of friends in my area and can pick their brains if necessary and they call and I help them.     You have to consider this,   or pay them so good they wouldn't want to leave you.    Some guys are contented with working for a company (big or small) and don't have either the motivation or desire to go off on their own.    This is the type of person you will need to hire.    It's bad news if you start getting a great deal of work and then have a tech or two quit on you.    It's not as easy to find experienced guys in this field as you think it would be.    You have to make it so good for them they wouldn't want to leave.   

These are some of your challenges as I see them.  There is a ton of experience and knowledge to be found on this board.    I learn alot from reading here.   One thing I have learned in 40 years of doing repairs......... I still have alot to always learn.   The day you think you know everything is the day you will get stumped and feel like a beginner.   That is the nature of what appliance repair is.   So, whether to go franchise or on you own is up to you.    Franchise will lay everything out to you,   you won't have to do much to get rolling except supply cash,   and just conform to their directives.    On your own,   You can run the business as you want to.  Not be restriced by the franchise agreement you will have to sign.     Your biggest problem will be marketing the business in either case.   Lots of options .     

Good luck,   and remember there is always plenty of help and input from the people on this websight.     You need a consultant?      Might do you well to get someone from this websight.     I'd be available for the right compensation.  ..........   LOL.   just kidding.   On a serious note to close,   Sounds like you might have the right management capabilities,   Just get yourself educated a litte first before you take the plunge.  ...............
Commercial Laundry repair Tech and Installer  1973 to 1980
Service Manager / Technician Commercial Laundry repair company 1980 to 2002
Refrigeration - HVAC - Boiler School 1974-1976
Electronic School 1978-1979
Self Employed Appliance Repair Company 2002 to present

Offline RAH52

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 05:05:01 AM »
Just to add to Wedgeman .A friend of mine worked for an appliance repair company that was well established (30 years ) and doing very well . The owner wanted out and sold to a couple that had 0 experience in the business .They just saw the guys books and wanted to make that kind of money .They bought the business and didn't have a clue .Within a year it was mis managed into bankruptcy .You gotta know something about what your getting into .

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2014, 10:21:04 AM »

Really appreciate the feedback.  I've decided to attend the company's annual reunion this year to talk with some folks who have already taken the plunge.  Will update this thread when I return. 

Wondering how things turned out for you.

:popcorn:
Hope you find our site helpful.

Wanted: GE factory authorized appliance repair service technician

Started by AJ

Replies: 2
Views: 8834
Last post December 19, 2007, 01:25:48 AM
by BrntToast
Special Appliance Repair Tools and Test Equipment

Started by AJ

Replies: 1
Views: 4615