Author Topic: One hell of a day & still going  (Read 1139 times)

Offline Jdm

• Technician
One hell of a day & still going
« on: January 29, 2014, 09:45:35 AM »
I know you guys up north are use to this but in the south, never have this happen. Tuesday morning forecast for my area was light dusting high of 33 but 50 miles south 1-4 inches high of 19. Headed to a dw call about 9 finished 45 min after that & walked out to the truck. Oh hell this is not good. In that time the storm shifted my direction & @ 9:55 (in the picture you will see my truck to the left) ice had formed under the snow. No way in or out.A nice family allowed me in there home for coffee & the restroom. They asked if I lived in the sub & I told the what I did & y I was in there. See said if you like a glass water or something else she go down stairs & get some ice. So for there hospitality I fixed the icemaker upstairs. What little I could do for them being kind to me. Fellow people helping each other. So by then it was 12. Finally @ 3:30 I found out a family friends mother lived in the sub I was stuck in so caught a ride on a four wheeler to get to my destination (I heard that manor the four wheeler gave people ride all night long. Great man)so I was blessed to have a place to stay & take a shower. Looks like I'm will be here through thursday temps will not be above freezing today. I'm the lucky one as I watch the news of 1000's of people stuck on the interstate still for over 20hrs. So the forecast was missed & the horror stories are unreal.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 09:57:12 AM by Jdm »
It's not the legacy you leave, it's the lives you impact

Offline Jdm

• Technician
Re: One hell of a day & still going
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 10:03:28 AM »
Here's a photo of the interstate right now a mile from where I'm @. These people have been there all night.

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 07:26:35 PM »
It don't look that bad to me, lol... ;)
Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline Jdm

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 08:59:12 PM »
AJ I know it's not to bad for you guys but here in bama ice stops us dead & especially when it's not predicted. Still haven't made it out. Be till at least 1pm central thursday. Just watched the news and 11,375 students spent the night in schools due to this happening. First time in history of our state.

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 09:05:05 PM »
Yea, poor kids. The last thing any kid probably wants to do is spend the night at school.
Good luck, be safe and keep us updated.
Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline RAH52

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2014, 04:36:16 AM »
Feel sorry for you guys .I guess you have no infrastructure to handle this i.e sanders ,salters ,and plows .In Canada we would not skip a beat but were used to it .If they predict snow on the way ,the new thing is to spray beet juice on the road .At present I'm just heading out to plow my driveway which has a  3 foot drift across it .Supposed to get 7 inches of snow Saturday .

Offline Jdm

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2014, 06:26:46 AM »
Rah52 I can't imagine plowing a 3ft snow drift. About the only thing here is sand trucks but if something like this is predicted normally the road system shuts down & nothing opens. Just weird that you go on a call & 3 days later your still in a home that's 30 minutes from yours. Just thankful this family gas allowed me in there home.

Offline Jdm

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2014, 01:08:04 PM »
Finally heading out but not home I've got to catch calls. Wow what a service call

Offline RAH52

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2014, 08:13:01 PM »
The biggest storm that ever stranded me was Jan28 to Feb1 ,1978 .I was stranded in a town about 12 miles away for 3 days and 2 nights .The storm came on so fast schools were full of students unable to go home .The cops got around by snow machines to deliver food ,take people to hospital etc .I stayed at a private home while my wife was stuck at our home .Boy was I happy when it ended.Check out the pic .Never seen a storm that bad since .

Offline Jdm

• Technician
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2014, 08:28:32 PM »
RAH52 holy cow. That is show unreal. My adventure seems so small compared to that. Thanks for sharing & showing the picture(as I pick my jaw off the floor).

The cat from hell...

Started by dentdaddy

Replies: 8
Views: 1045
Last post January 29, 2014, 02:33:02 AM
by Brent@CanBC