Free Service - Appliance Repair Help & Troubleshooting

Author Topic: Whirlpool LEQ9030PQ1 Servicing Questions  (Read 501 times)

Offline mytai11

• VIP Member
Whirlpool LEQ9030PQ1 Servicing Questions
« on: September 25, 2016, 10:52:07 PM »
 :)

Hey Fellas,

First things first:  The people who answer forum questions are nothing short of internet angels who care about people - so THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing that all-important corporate knowledge you have that allows people like me to avoid a bill in the hundreds of dollars.   :thanks:

Noob here, first post to this forum...however, I have pulled apart dryers before, and a couple washers.  I'm versed in mechanics, and have taken down everything from engines and transmissions in cars, to miniature pocket watch gears, springs, and escapes (little hobby of mine...)

So, I've got this dryer 2nd hand, and I'm pretty sure it's never been serviced in any way.  The lady I bought it from seemed to be a heavy user (had a family,) and also, I spent the better part of half an hour cleaning off the stuck-on gunk and scum (probably a mix of old detergent, etc.) from the washer, so I'm thinking the dryer wasn't touched either. 

It dries, but not efficiently.  Had to run a moderate-sized load through two sixty minute cycles.  So, I have some questions:

1.  Is it possible the heating element could be partially out of service?
2.  What passageways can I clean out to ensure there aren't any blockages?
3.  Seems to turn with some resistance.  I plan on removing the tub to get whatever it is that's CONSTANTLY clinking and clanking in there - so I may end up with a new belt if it has one, and possibly (actually, more than likely) the rollers. 

I like these units.  They're a little old, but I was able to pick up both for $125, and after just moving from Hawaii to Nevada, ANYTHING that was working and reasonable was OK with me.  Other than that, I don't mind tweaking, servicing, and tuning up the pair. 

Any other information such as teardown log or video, tips or tricks, etc. with this dryer would be greatly appreciated.  I can't remember the dryer model/serial number, but it's the sister model.   

Many thanks for any help you might be able to provide me with!  The goal is to get this dryer running as EFFICIENTLY as possible!

Maitai

Offline johnboy3

• Technician
Re: Whirlpool LEQ9030PQ1 Servicing Questions
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 07:57:14 AM »
I think you're on the right track thinking airflow, so here's what to check.  First clean the lint screen with detergent solution and brush, if there is any build up of fabric softener at all.  Then remove the two phillips head screws at the top where the filter is, then tip the top back ( has hinges on back, held down by clips on front), then remove the back of the dryer.  Remove the lint filter housing and clean out all the accumulation in there and clean the vanes of the blower wheel.  I have an idea that by now, you've found the restriction.  Reassemble and test.  Let us know how it works!   

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2016, 08:28:19 AM »
If you do have this style Dryer here is a video that may help.

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2016, 08:43:58 AM »
This kit has the belt in it and 2 drum rollers and idler pulley.Part number 4392065

Offline mytai11

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2016, 10:00:33 AM »
Thank you dab!

I especially appreciate the part number.   Many thanks, and I will certainly check back in once I've completed the job.

Best,

Maitai

Offline mytai11

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2016, 01:52:48 PM »
Johnny,

Many, many thanks for your detailed explanation.   You're as good as gold!

Maitai

Offline mytai11

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2017, 03:56:27 PM »
Hey Fellas,

I finally got around to servicing my unit, and spend a couple hours doing so today.  A good bulk of the time was spent cleaning, blowing it out with compressed air, vacuuming, and my favorite - scraping off scum from the underneath parts! 

I found a couple things to be wrong - but I'm not sure if they're worth fixing.  First, the heat seal at the rear of the drum is starting to fall off.  Next, what I would call the dryer drum "agitators," or the inner paddle-like appendages that keep clothes mixing and moving had a couple issues.  First, I found some GUM on them, and I also noticed that SOMEHOW some stuff got into the inside of these plastic paddles - and because of that, it makes a clattering noise every time it turns.

But I replaced the wheels, idler pulley, belt, etc.  I pulled the back off and removed the blower housing and found that it was half full of lint at the bottom right next to the blower itself - as well as throughout the front, inside, and back of the unit.  Lint everywhere.  Vacuum, compressed air, baby wipes to take care of the fabric softener scum (and a 4 inch scraper to boot,) WHEW!  This was at least HALF  a cleaning job.  The motor turned well and seemed to be just fine, as well as the heating element. 

All-in-all, about a 2.5 - 3 hour job - and I took my time as well.  British James on YouTube helped to instruct me on the step-by-step things I needed to do in order to complete the job right. 

Thank you ALL for your input - I felt that with all the great responses, I should reply in-kind. 

Fun job!  I think most everyone could pull this off. 

Kind regards,

Maitai 

Offline mytai11

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2017, 04:11:29 PM »
Just a couple more observations and statements...

First, this is a dirty job.  I was covered head-to-toe in lint, dust bunnies, etc., from cleaning the internals.  I was also working in a somewhat dusty garage.  Suffice it to say, my knees, whole upper body, rear-end, I was covered in what was inside that dryer. 

ALSO, I found all kinds of items in there...bobby pins, rubber bands, and money - $2.83 worth!  But my biggest find came in the form of screws that belonged in some of the holes that didn't have any.  They had worked themselves loose, and I was able to better secure the dryer because of finding them inside the front or back. 

Finally, yes, be careful of the sharp edges - INCLUDING THE VERY SHARP SCREW ENDS.  The only blood that was drawn during this particular servicing was because of, you guessed it, coming into contact with a screw tip. 

I hope this helps out a little more to another who would like to attempt a repair.  Also, this is a very doable repair!  Anything that could potentially go wrong with a dryer can be addressed by watching free online videos and following them step-by-step (thank you, contributors.)

I had a fun time learning about my dryer, but more importantly, I feel more confident!  I can do anything to repair a dryer now! 

You guys on this forum are pure gold.  Thank you very, very much for your important contributions.

Kind regards,

Maitai

Edit:  I also found a PEN INK REFILL which ruined some of my loads.  I bought this unit used and had no idea it contained these things...I ran a couple empty loads, but I think things moved around inside there. 

One other reason I serviced this unit is it (the drum) wouldn't turn with heavy loads like towels.  I'm doing a load right now, and will report back on whether it's the belt or motor.  The old belt was in pretty bad shape, cracked and (probably not visibly) stretched. 
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 04:29:10 PM by mytai11 »

Offline mytai11

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2017, 04:18:58 PM »
One last question (two part:)

1.  Is it possible to replace the heat seals at the front and rear of the drum?  The one on the rear is actually attached to the drum, while the front is attached to the door assembly (for those who don't know...)  Is it even possible? 

1(a.)  What about just replacing the drum?  Is it financially a smart idea?  Reason being, the heat seal is degrading in one spot, plus the "agitators" seem to be filled with something in a couple of them that may be leaking out during the heating process.  I think the gum I removed was the main culprit (ruined a pair of sweats,) but I'm still not sure.  The agitators are like an opaque plastic and I don't think they are replaceable.  Please advise if they are. 

Thank you,

Maitai

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2017, 04:34:01 PM »
W10612022  rear seal  WP692490   May just have to clean them out?  WPW10663510 Front Seal
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 04:40:18 PM by dab147315 »

How I fixed a Whirlpool LEQ9030PQ1 dryer that was not heating.

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 2207
Last post November 11, 2011, 07:46:45 AM
by AJ
Whirlpool Cabrio Model WED6200SW1 Electric Dryer Error Code Questions

Started by Redemption

Replies: 2
Views: 462
Last post June 29, 2016, 01:48:12 PM
by Redemption
Video: How to check voltage at cord on a Whirlpool electric dryer.

Started by AJ

Views: 12274
Last post August 06, 2007, 05:57:19 PM
by AJ
Video: How to take your Whirlpool dryer apart to replace parts & remove lint

Started by AJ

Views: 25765
Last post August 16, 2007, 06:02:43 PM
by AJ
How to replace Whirlpool Dryer Motor.