Author Topic: Whirlpool timer?  (Read 3773 times)

Offline ceeyahd1

• VIP Member
Whirlpool timer?
« on: October 06, 2008, 01:02:35 PM »
I have a washer that is 3 years old, yesterday the washer would not go through the cycles automatically if I turned the knob to the different cycles it would work fine but it would not advance by itself to the next cycle, after doing some research I figured it was the timer so I ordered one today. How do I flip over or disconnect the box on top to get to the timer, I looked everywhere for instructions so I would not trash our almost new washer.

Thanks for all your help.

Model Number: sb6300pw4

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
Re: Whirlpool timer?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 02:52:15 PM »
Grasp the end cap by the top rear edge and press down while pulling the top towards you. It hinges at the bottom and lifts off to reveal the console mounting screw.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 02:53:47 PM by Repair-man »
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline ceeyahd1

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 07:09:24 PM »
Where can I find directions on how to take out the timer?

Thanks for your help.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 07:34:34 PM »
To get the old style metal timer off you screw the knob counter clockwise and remove it. Then you remove the escutcheon. That is a fancy word for the dial indicator. It comes straight back towards you. Then remove 2 5/16 hex nuts and that timer will be at your mercy.To get the new style plastic timer off you simply yank out the plastic straw rod in the rear of the timer and that allows that elcheapo plastic knob to come off. Then remove the dial indicator and take the screws off. When that rod is pushed all the way in it spreads the shaft and holds the timer knob in pwace. Remove it  or back it off a hair and that knob will come off. Some of them come all the way out some just come out half an inch or so. Pictured below is a new style timer. Left click the pic to make it bigger so you can see it better.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 07:46:21 PM by JWWebster »
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 07:48:56 PM »
see that it said attention technician right above chn in techncian is a round looking thingy. yeah that thing. it comes out a hair and allows fer the knob to come off.
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline ceeyahd1

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 08:05:42 PM »
Thanks for your help, I have the new style timer and I am having a problem getting the old timer off, do I just break off the tabs holding it on?

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2008, 08:21:01 PM »
NO. you just back off the little rod in the rear of the timer and that will release the knob. If you break off anythang you is headed in the wrong direction!.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline ceeyahd1

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2008, 08:26:04 PM »
I took the knob off, I am having a problem getting the timer off, there are 3 plastic tabs holding the timer on to the metal plate and I can't figure out how to release the tabs.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2008, 08:35:41 PM »
some of them have a metal tab that you release and twist the timer a quarter turn and it comes off, others have sone quarter inch screws that hneed to be removed to get that timer out.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2008, 08:38:44 PM »
I looked up your timer and I think you needs to get a screw out of the backside of the timer tab and then it will come out. It is 68 bucks. pretty decent price for a timer.
http://www.repairclinic.com/SmartSearch/SSPartDetail.aspx?PartID=1060748&PPStack=1
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Al Capone

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • ApplianceJunk.com
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2008, 08:49:07 PM »
Check out page 20 (removing the timer) in the service manual.

L-55 Whirlpool Made Direct Drive Washer Service Repair Manual
RepairClinic.com - Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy!

AppliancePartsPros.com - Over 1 Million Appliance Parts In-Stock. 365-Day Hassle Free Return Policy!

Offline ceeyahd1

• VIP Member
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2008, 09:02:41 PM »
Got it! The whole timer shifts to the left to unlock. Thanks everyone for your quick help.

How will I know where to put the arrow that's on the knob to match the new timer, the knob can be installed with the arrow in a few different spots or am I missing something again.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2008, 09:13:34 PM »
There is a flat spot on the timer to keep the dial indicator in it's correct spot
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline ceeyahd1

• VIP Member
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2010, 03:26:50 PM »
I replaced this timer about a year and half ago and everything was fine until a month ago when my wife kept telling the washer is not spinning and the laundry was wet when the cycle was over, when I checked the washer and put it on the spin cycle I noticed the tub was starting to spin and also the water was running at the same time, it does not do this every time and it does it every other day. Could the timer be bad again?

Thanks for your help.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2010, 03:46:23 PM »
It could be or it may be the connecting block has backed out a hair.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Video: How to remove whirlpool washer timer.

Started by AJ

Replies: 1
Views: 3752
Last post April 26, 2009, 07:41:04 PM
by ShawnTRD
Installing a timer control part on Whirlpool washer

Started by Tnkrposit

Replies: 3
Views: 7459
Last post October 20, 2008, 06:42:42 AM
by Repair-man
285938 Whirlpool Washer Timer