Author Topic: LG Tromm WM2496HWM Washer and DLG9588WM Dryer Review  (Read 28646 times)

Offline maypo52

• VIP Member
Re: LG Tromm WM2496HWM Washer and DLG9588WM Dryer Review
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2008, 09:07:12 AM »
Hello All,

Basically they're doing fine. The only issue is with the washer and the gunk buildup. Even though we use the HE detergent and less then the recommended amount, it still gets the gunk build which I think is the cause of the slight problem I have occasionally.

Every once in a while during a wash cycle the suds builds up so much that it leaks out of the vent hole on the back of the washer.

About once a month or so, I run a sanitary cycle with a cup of bleach, which cleans it out pretty good, at least as much as I can see. Once I run the sanitary cycle the suds problem goes away until the gunk builds up again.

And no, I haven't tried Affresh yet :embarassed:. I also read somewhere that there is another product called "Whirl Out" that supposed to be good. Has anyone tried this?

Regards,

Mark
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 09:20:28 AM by maypo52 »
My philosophies:

If it ain't broke, don't fix it and When all else fails RTFM (read the "funny" manual)

Offline Penguin45

• VIP Member
    • www.ukwhitegoods.com
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2008, 07:42:46 PM »
Foaming from a vent or soap box is always caused by a detergent build-up in the machine. You are probably oversoaping....... It is worth finding out the water hardness for your area and adjusting the dose accordingly. Soft water needs little powder, harder water more - bear in mind that the doseage on the box includes the manufacturers intent to sell you soap powder!

A monthly cleaning cycle is an excellent idea - in the UK we recommend using a biological whites powder (do you have such a thing over the pond?) and the hottest cycle available -90/95c over here. Removing and cleaning the soap drawer and box prior to the cycle is a good plan, as is clearing the drain filter afterwards.

We've finally got Affresh over here, btw - it does work.

Penguin45.

Affresh Washing Machine Cleaner Part # TJ120

Offline Timatae

• VIP Member
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2008, 07:28:21 PM »
Nice picture. Great for others to see. As others have said,its more of a detergent problem. Whirl out is a great product(LG recommends) Also found out theres a piece that is inside that below on top of unit, that there's a part to put in there to help with over flowwing. Careful when this happens a lot, Seen a lot of washers that the bearing in the back go out due to too much soap,without the warranty it can be expensive. I'll have to dig up if for the below part to show you what I mean.

LG came a long way to improving there units. They change the thermistor to the back of unit for easy repair,hall sensor is updated to a new one, The older ones had a load sensor in front but they have removed it(Thank god)

Over all I love the LG washers and dryers. The amount of money saved for less water, less soap, and less electric is always good O0

Offline kjc367

• VIP Member
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2008, 10:48:01 PM »
We have had the WM2496HWM for over a year and it has performed well.  Last December, we had a water main break.  After the replace, we have had a blue scale in the hot water line that clogs faucets and inlet filters on appliances. 

Per the manual, I have been cleaning the inlet filters (removable red/hot and blue/cold mesh screens) about every two-three months.  Today, the red/hot one was stuck and when I tried to remove it, the plastic handle broke off.  Trying to remove damaged the filter and I'd like to replace them.

I've looked at several online parts dealers and haven't found them.  Only the complete inlet valve assembly.  Considering this is a user maintenance item, it seems that it should be easily replacable, if only I could find one.

I'm considering using an inline gasket filter on the other end of the inlet hoses.

Any ideas? 

Thanks,
Kevin.

Offline maypo52

• VIP Member
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2011, 05:54:19 PM »
Review update:

I thought I would post an update for my review of the LG Washer/Dryer.

After 4 years both washer and dryer are doing fine. :) No problems to report. I can honestly say they are both running as good today as they did when new 4 years ago.

The pair are used on a daily basis, probably 10 plus loads a week. I don't even have the problem of mold or gunk build up anymore. I attribute that to using the right detergent and using less then the recommended amount and also running at least one load of whites a week using about a half cup of bleach.

I hope I haven't jinxed myself and I hope they last a lot longer.

Regards,

Mark

My philosophies:

If it ain't broke, don't fix it and When all else fails RTFM (read the "funny" manual)

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2011, 06:37:30 PM »
Hi Mark,

Good to know, thanks for the update.

I remember your original post like it was yesterday. I looked back at the date of your original post and seen it was dated, October 11, 2007.

Wow, does time fly or what!?

I hope your LG washer and dryer give you years of trouble free service.  O0
Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2011, 09:46:55 PM »
maypo52,

This topic reminded me of your review here.

Checking servicability before buying washer: Samsung WF431AM or LG WM3360HWCA

How's the LG pair been holding up?

Offline maypo52

• VIP Member
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2011, 01:47:31 PM »
Hello AJ and Friends,

Well, in about a month it will be coming up on 5 years since I wrote my review of the LG washer and dryer set.  LG Tromm WM2496HWM Washer and DLG9588WM Dryer Review Knock on wood...so far we have not had any problems or issues of any kind. They have been performing very well and we are still happy with the pair. About once a month or so, I wipe rubber gasket down and I run a sanitary cycle with a cup of bleach to keep the gunk buildup to a minimum. But other than that, no other maintenance has been done. I would like to see another 5 years go by without any issues :) so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to All.
My philosophies:

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2011, 08:30:22 AM »
Good to hear, thanks for the update.
Happy Holidays

Offline MrT

• VIP Member
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2012, 06:57:09 PM »
Thought I'd quickly share our experience with the WM2496HWM and it's workhorse, the DLE9577WM dryer (electric).  Keep in mind, both machine service a family of 7 (5 kids, all under 15). So they get used. We've had them since 2007 and I'm sure they've washed 8 years worth of clothing.

I had to replace the pump on the washer in 2009. It simply died (motor). Just 2 weeks ago I had to replace the load sensor, part # 6501KW2002A
That was simple task but, because the folks at the Sears parts center (online) don't know their butt from 1st base, I had to go 2 weeks without a working washer.  I returned both the WRONG parts that Sears sent and finally got the right one via www.repairclinic.com

Back to the washer.  I don't know if I should be disappointed or simply just "satisfied." Owning it for 4 years and I've had to replace a pump and sensor.  If I wasn't a handy man, I'd have spent 800 bucks on it by now to keep it running.  I think it is a bit on the noisy side (pump grinds in an odd way) and it is so very hard to balance fully.

All truth be told, at this point we will probably look to replace them with something other than LG.  I really wish I could buy an industral strength washer and dryer as we probably are just to hard on these machines. I don't think they were intended to wash 10 loads a week.  Which, when you think of it, shouldn't be a problem.  But alas, consumer products just are no longer that durable.

Anyone got a good idea for a workhorse that could handle our demands on cleaning?

MrT

p.s the dry has had no problems, altough I think it is taking longer to dry. I probably should clean out the vent but I wouldn't be surprised if the heating element is going as the washer has already been opened twice for repairs in just 4 years.

Offline maypo52

• VIP Member
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2012, 11:21:42 PM »
Hello All,

Well here I am back to my original post and it looks like the romance is over. My dryer seems to have developed a problem and of course my extended warranty expired last month. It has started to make a thumping sound and it seems like it is coming from the left front side of the dryer. I'm suspecting a bad roller though I haven't opened it up to take a look yet.  So the question is; if it is a roller, should I replace all of them? (looks like there are 4 of them k250 and k251) Maybe one of you Pro's can verify that for me. And while I'm in there, should I replace the drive belt too? Any help is appreciated.

Here is a short video of the problem:

Mark
My philosophies:

Offline wildimaginations

• Technician
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2012, 05:19:40 AM »
It sounds like you have 2 problems.  The thumping sounds like you have a cracked drum but usually it will sound like a thump...thump sound rather that just one thump.  The second problem is since it sounds like only one thump, one of your roller guides have frozen and will need to be replaced. 

Look inside the drum for a cracked weld at either end of the drum.  If you see the crack in the drum, call LG to have an authorized servicer come by to repair it.  There is a rework program to replace the drum part for free but the labor is not covered.  When the technician pulls the old drum out, have them check the roller guides and lubricate or replace as necessary.

Hope this helps.
Appliance Service Technician
Authorized servicer on LG appliances.
About 45 mins east of San Francisco

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2012, 09:09:27 AM »
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline maypo52

• VIP Member
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2012, 05:27:21 PM »
Hello All,

I just got around to looking inside my dryer to find out what was making the thumping noise. As it turns out, it is not a split in the seam of the drum or a bad roller. It was caused by the drum belt. As you can see in the picture, a portion of the belt separated from its base material. As a temporary fix, i use a little crazy glue to hold the piece down for now. No more thump, thump noise. It will have to be replaced soon enough though. I guess I should order one now and have it on hand for when it goes bad.

Thanks for the video JW.

LG Dryer Drive Belt Part # 4400EL2001A

My philosophies:

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2012, 06:39:12 PM »
Your Welcome  O0
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Whirlpool Cabrio Washer and Dryer

Started by dodgegirljls

Replies: 3
Views: 3980
Last post May 29, 2009, 02:56:52 PM
by Al Capone
16000416 Maytag Stacked Washer Dryer S1000 Models Service Repair Manual

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 5997
Last post October 28, 2008, 07:15:23 PM