Author Topic: LG Tromm WM2496HWM Washer and DLG9588WM Dryer Review  (Read 29807 times)

Offline maypo52

• VIP Member
LG Tromm WM2496HWM Washer and DLG9588WM Dryer Review
« on: October 11, 2007, 10:02:22 AM »
We purchased this LG combination (WM2496HWM & DLG9588WM) in Feburary 2007 and to date have been very satisfied with both. When we decided to buy a new washer and dryer there were several features I was looking for; frontloading, high efficiency, quiet, stackable and technically advanced. Oh yea, and cleans and dries clothes really well. ;D Well so far so good, no problems.

The Washer: WM2496HWM

The Positives

Easy to use, even with all the bells and whistles. The control panel allows you to choose many different options for a particular type of wash load. The big door gives you easy access to the huge stainless steel drum and when operating the machine is very quiet. The cycle times are a little longer then top loading machines but thats because it use a lot less water to wash and is much more gentle on clothes then top loaders.

The Negatives

One negative I have and it's not really a negative is during the spin cycle. The high speed spin cycle causes the floor to vibrate pretty good(in my case). This is a factor of the type of floor construction and how accurately you level the machine. It does spin the clothes to a fairly dry state(much more the my old top loader) which makes the drying time less. Another negative is an accumlation of "sludge" around the door gasket, but this is due to not using HE rated laundry soap. So it's really not a fault of the machine. One other negative, it's a little pricey.

I would give this machine a 8 out of 10. I would give it a 9 out of 10 if it wasn't so pricey.

The Dryer: DLG9588WM

Positives

As with the washer, easy to use and a wide range of options for your particular type of clothes to dry. Same easy access as the washer via the large front door and it also has a stainless steel drum. Very quiet operation.

Negatives

One minor negative is in the sensor dry cycle. The moisture sensor sometimes thinks the clothes are dry and stops the cycle when it still could use a few minutes more drying time. One other negative, same as the washer, a little pricey.

I give the dryer the same score as washer; 8 out of 10. 9 out of 10 if it wasn't so pricey.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 05:19:39 PM by AJ »
My philosophies:

If it ain't broke, don't fix it and When all else fails RTFM (read the "funny" manual)

Offline Pegi

• VIP Member
  • Owner/Tech
Re: LG Tromm WM2496HWM Washer and DLG9588WM Dryer Review
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007, 01:05:34 PM »
LG tech says to use no more 2-3 tablespoons of HE soap only in their washers, also wipe the boot down when done with the washer for the day and be sure to leave the door open with not in use so you do not get the mold build up...

Offline maypo52

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2007, 02:20:43 PM »
Pegi,

Thanks for the tip about the HE detergent. That will have to wait until we finish all the regular detergent my wife stocked up on when it was on sale. We'll just use less. :( I have been leaving the door open as much as possible when not in use to keep the inside dried out. So far no mold has been seen.

Thanks,

Mark
My philosophies:

If it ain't broke, don't fix it and When all else fails RTFM (read the "funny" manual)

Offline rickgburton

• Technician
  • Ricks Appliance Repair - 30 Years Experience
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2007, 12:37:10 PM »
I also think there is a parts issue. The only place you can get parts is from LG. Thats what I'm told anyways. They have been on the market for awhile and I haven't seen any come into the shop yet. That can only mean one of two things, either they're not breaking or they're not selling. (I don't think its us, we have a pretty good rep)

Rick
OWNER/SERV TECH: RICK'S APPLIANCE REPAIR
APPLIANCE SERVICE TECHNICIAN FOR 25 YEARS
ONLINE SERV TECH: ApplianceBlog.com ApplianceJunk.com
CERTIFIED TYPE 1; TYPE 2.....REFRIGERATION SERV

Offline apptech

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2007, 08:51:26 AM »
The only place you can get parts is from LG.

But if they never need repair I don't see that as a problem.  :2funny:

Offline Pegi

• VIP Member
  • Owner/Tech
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2007, 03:48:42 PM »
You can get some parts from Sears now and in the near future they will be available thru major parts suppliers, Marcone will be the first I have heard...

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2007, 09:13:41 PM »
maypo52,

Great review.  O0

Thanks,
 AJ
Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline apptech

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2008, 09:25:38 AM »
maypo52

How do you like them now that you have had them for a year?

Offline maypo52

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2008, 03:34:10 PM »
Well after almost a year using the LG WM2496HWM washer and the DLG9588WM dryer we are still pretty happy with the pair. The dryer performs fine but there are a couple of minor issues with the washer which I will explain.

The washer still has more vibration then I would like to see, partly due, I'm sure, to the under-lying flooring structure. And yes, it is level. I've tried using anti-vibration pads under the feet, which helps a little and I also use the speedsense setting which is supposed to help reduce harmonic vibrations by slightly reducing the rpm's on the spin cycle.

There was one incident just recently that had me worried for a minute. During a wash cycle my wife discovered some water on the floor, it wasn't a lot but enough to make a small mess. When I went to investigate I could not see where the water was coming from. I cleaned the water up and let the washer go through the rinse, drain and spin cycle. After removing the laundry I noticed a little path of water running down the front of the front of the machine just below the door. I thought maybe a towel or something got caught between the door and the gasket causing it to leak. After a couple more loads of clothes and no leak I thought that was the end of it. The next day and another load of clothes more water on the floor. This time it was a very little amount but enough to make me scratch my head. I still could not see where it was coming from. I was sure it wasn't anything caught in between the door and the gasket. The only thing I found was a little piece of debris caught in the water circulation nozzle. I'm guessing this was the culprit. Still don't know where the water came from. Just to be on the safe side, I ran a sanitary cycle to clean out any gunk that might have built up. A couple of more loads of laundry and no more water on the floor.

The last thing is the odor that builds up after a while. If you leave the washer door opened to let it dry out inside it's OK. But if you keep the door closed, it doesn't take to long for an odor to build up. The way I get rid of it when it happens is to run a sanitary cycle with a cup of bleach. This seems to do the trick.

The video shows the water circulation nozzle, some of the gunk that builds up and the soapy residual left behind. This was a short rinse and spin cycle with no detergent added.

So my grade for this combo will still be an 8 out of 10. O0 The water issue was a minor problem and the odor and gunk build up problems seem to be inherent in front loaders. Overall though, very good performers.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 03:35:52 PM by maypo52 »
My philosophies:

Offline apptech

• Technician
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2008, 05:03:07 PM »
Great review and a awesome video!

Very nice...

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2008, 05:04:33 PM »
Excellent review and I also think the video is great.  O0

Thanks,
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 06:00:38 PM by AJ »

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2008, 08:04:03 PM »
Maypo, I'm sure AJ would have pointed out that there's a new product called Affresh tablets that get behind that mold and gunk which has hidden itself behind your boot and spinner. Other treatments in the past, such as bleach, vinegar and even the Washer Magic products have not dealt efficiently with this problem. I'm not touting the product to sell you anything, I'm just an impressed technician who wants to pass this along to you. I'm sure AJ or one of his many parts sources can hook you up. I've had my Neptune MAH5500 now for 6 years and use the stuff religiously.

Good luck!
Jim
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline RegUS_PatOff

• Technician
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2008, 10:29:40 PM »
Affresh Washer Cleaner for Front Load Washers (he), TJ120
After leaving this Earth, "Do you want the smoking or non-smoking section?"

Offline BrntToast

• VIP Member
  • Mayday Appliance Service
    • frigidaire service blog
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2008, 09:42:18 PM »
powder dishwasher detergent works good on the stinky LGs

i never noticed you mention cleaning the lint filter? if you havn't been that could be where the odor is comming from, its prolly got some old gunked up debris in there by now
Mayday Appliance Service
Winnipeg Manitoba Canada

The only stupid question is the one not asked

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2008, 08:52:03 AM »
I have had to replace a few door bellows on these washer after people tried washing things they should not have, like truck floor mats.

maypo52 hows your LG washer and dryer doing?

Whirlpool Cabrio Washer and Dryer

Started by dodgegirljls

Replies: 3
Views: 4354
Last post May 29, 2009, 02:56:52 PM
by Al Capone
16000416 Maytag Stacked Washer Dryer S1000 Models Service Repair Manual

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 6284
Last post October 28, 2008, 07:15:23 PM