Author Topic: Whirlpool dishwasher runs great, but door leaks like crazy  (Read 35980 times)

Offline Aaronbond1973

• VIP Member
Whirlpool dishwasher runs great, but door leaks like crazy
« on: September 30, 2008, 09:30:36 PM »
Trying to order the correct part and a little confused. I removed all of front "vanity" or trim panels. I find it leaking from the top (just under push buttons), from the bottom (under where the wiring harness plugs in) and if I open the door while its running a ton of water pours out from the front side of the door. I am assuming the entire door seal is bad? When I look up parts I dont really find what appears to be door seals.

I find door parts like latches and covers and then one part for $100.00 called "inner door". I'm thinking I will need to replace the entire inner door. Can someone tell me if that sounds right to them, replacing that entire inner door? Here's the link to the parts page for this model on this website.

Parts Page

Here is an exploded view of the door for reference as well.

Door

Thanks in advance.

Model Number: DU927QWDB1

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
Re: Whirlpool dishwasher runs great, but door leaks like crazy
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 09:34:00 PM »
The door seal is in the TUB view. Item #10 below:

By your description the float cup (#32) is stuck, allowing way too much water to fill the tub bottom. Check it and the little microswitch it rests on down below (#29). The water level in the tub should never be above the top of the heater element if the float is working properly.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 09:38:43 PM by Repair-man »
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline Aaronbond1973

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 09:37:50 PM »
Any suggestions on how much water looks like too much water? Or how to verify if the float is stuck?

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 09:41:59 PM »
The water level in the tub should never be above the top of the heater element if the float is working properly.

Start a cycle and look at the water level after it has filled and begun washing. Real quick  way to tell if the float is stopping the water before it overfills. Sometimes the float cup can become lodged in the switch lever below. Only a visual exam of the float as you lift it manually will determine if it indeed trips the switch as it should. When the float rises up, the water coming in is supposed to stop.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 09:47:54 PM by Repair-man »

Offline Aaronbond1973

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 09:50:45 PM »
ok, water level is well below maybe 2" below heater element, there was some crud on the float, it is moving up and down better, but I dont think it was overflowing that way. As soon as I close the door its a steady stream like peeing (pardon) coming from the bottom, about half that much coming from the top just under the handle area. Again I dont get why (unless it is the door seal) but when i drop the door (even if I just close it for 2 seconds to run) water pours out from the door. I dont mean like inside the door as if the water is above the bottom, I mean like the door has been filled with water. The seal seems to be good as far as tears, rips or hardness but what else could pour water out from everywhere?

Thanks again for any help

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 10:04:38 PM »
Got mice?
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Aaronbond1973

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2008, 10:09:27 PM »
I think I may have figured it out. It disgust me to admit to this, but I'm running a cycle now with no leak. I noticed the majority of water poured out at the upper left of the door when I opened it. I never knew what that grid was but apparently its a vent of some sort. Well it was packed with crap that makes me sick to think my dishes where in there. Anyway clean it all out and I can only think with the junk in there it was somehow letting water by. could that make sense? When I remove the vent cover you can see right through the door.

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2008, 05:58:12 AM »
That vent serves 2 purposes...to let the steam out during the dry cycle and to allow air pressures to equalize in the tub during the wash. With the vent blocked the water could pressure up that inner door area and leak. Don't hear about too many vents clogged, that's one suggestion I would not have thought of until after we had done a few other things.  Glad you found it and solved with no parts used.

Offline Aaronbond1973

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2008, 07:25:39 AM »
Thanks for everyone's help. This is an awesome service and got me looking in the right direction. It was the vent for sure, ran it twice all the way through and not one drop of water! I guess in 17 years of running perfect I should do some maintenance.

Offline Amy

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2009, 11:14:53 AM »
This worked for my dishwasher too!  The left side of the door was leaking.  I took the vent off, cleaned it, and now it has stopped leaking!  yay!  Just wanted to let you know that this must not be too uncommon.

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair Help
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2009, 11:44:12 AM »
This is an awesome service and got me looking in the right direction.
O0

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair Help
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2009, 11:44:41 AM »
This worked for my dishwasher too!  The left side of the door was leaking.  I took the vent off, cleaned it, and now it has stopped leaking!  yay!  Just wanted to let you know that this must not be too uncommon.

Glad to hear you got it repaired. :)

Offline fixitgrandma

• VIP Member
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2009, 08:23:07 PM »
Cleaning the vent fixed the problem with my old Whirlpool dishwasher. :) Anyone who ever watched me load the dishwasher teased me about washing the dishes before washing the dishes. Maybe they won't now!  My vent was clogged because I would put jars in the dishwasher to loosen the labels I couldn't peel or soak off the jar.  I guess I wasn't that much of a "good girl"... ::)  Remove those labels folks!

Offline Mr. Fix-It

• Technician
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2009, 07:47:24 AM »
I find vent clogs rather frequently I think it is a hard water issue most of the time it's like the airborne steam is loaded with calcium corbonate and it condenses when it hits the vent. It's the first thing I check when I come across a door leak.

Offline coulombe100

• VIP Member
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2009, 01:19:52 PM »
You guys rock!  O0

Our Whirlpool dishwasher was leaking from under the front door but I never thought to check the vent.   And what a trap of disgusting slime it was...ewwwww!   :o But after scraping out that ungodly slop with a butter knife and pipe cleaner, the leak is gone!    For good measure, I also cleaned out the water float valve as was suggested early in the thread, so maybe that helped too.

Whirlpool dishwasher runs great, but door leaks like crazy

Started by Solegirl

Replies: 5
Views: 2002
Last post March 31, 2010, 07:34:42 AM
by Mr. Fix-It
Whirlpool Dishwasher GU90-SCGT3 Leaks from Door!

Started by kathyjoe5

Replies: 2
Views: 930
Last post February 14, 2013, 08:21:56 AM
by domain
Whirlpool Dishwasher Model GU940SCGB3 Door Leak

Started by JimKaran

Replies: 10
Views: 11303
Last post September 13, 2007, 11:39:39 AM
by AJ
Video: Whirlpool Dishwasher Door Leak - How to replace pump seal.

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 6329
Last post September 13, 2007, 06:45:17 PM
by AJ
OVerfill Protection Float Assy Leaks Under Unit Whirlpool Gold GU1500 Dishwasher

Started by mjoyce1111

Replies: 4
Views: 4637
Last post December 01, 2008, 07:21:25 PM
by mjoyce1111
8269209 Whirlpool Dishwasher Door Switch

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 2855
Last post April 16, 2009, 08:50:47 PM
by AJ