Author Topic: whirlpool...repair man says transmission bad?  (Read 19154 times)

Offline llee0814

• VIP Member
Re: whirlpool...repair man says transmission bad?
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2008, 02:15:00 PM »
one more thing. here are pics of where im at. if you can see i cannot remove drive block because of the pieces on top of it?  if someone knows what to do next, thanks.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2008, 03:33:26 PM »
You don't need to remove the tub to fix the clutch
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair Help
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2008, 03:36:44 PM »
because it contains the clutch, the guy said it's easier to replace the whole thing. he could have sold me just a clutch for same price but i opted to go with the tube.

The spin tube and clutch are to different things.

You need to find yourself a different appliance technician.

Offline llee0814

• VIP Member
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2008, 03:53:00 PM »
hey everyone. got everything done (removed trans. etc.) got to the spin tube and realized it wasn;t the same as the spin tube that's in it. :( the guy told me all whirlpools took same spin tube and that the clutch was in the spin tube. ) i am admitting defeat here and want to thank all of you again for talking with me.  everyone is very helpful and i would definately come back if i need to in the future. :)

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2008, 04:37:47 PM »
Then do us all a big favor. Since we are not here for our health, but to hopefully sell parts, follow our instructions if you ask us a question. Do not go somewhere else after we have dedicated our time and expertise to help you, and above all, do not make any repairs other than what we suggest. Had you simply done what I suggested and replaced the clutch, you would be washing right now.

I'm sorry for spouting off like this but we need to eat too.

Jim
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 04:40:48 PM by Repair-man »
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline llee0814

• VIP Member
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2008, 04:40:35 PM »
i understand completely.  sorry for offending anyone and i hope i will be welcome back in the future? :-\

Offline jayman73

• VIP Member
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2008, 06:08:24 PM »
I sure hate to see you get swayed by all these other comments. Sure, there's always an outside chance something else caused the clutch to fail, but 9 times out of 10 it's a straightforward repair and a very common failure on the direct drive machine. I have underwear older than most of these guys, but you can listen to whoever you please.

Once you get the tranny out, it will be obvious if oil had anything to do with it or not. You don't know until you get there, but hopefully  it will be a simple repair for you.
i have worked on these washers for 12 years sure its not long as some guys but 9 times out of 10  the clutch is slick now when i get a call for a direct drive washer poor spin i first check if the oil is on side of cabinet i have even changed the trans and cleaned the clutch a little but keep one in truck just in case its bad . sorry just thought i would comment on this because i have seen it happen no bs

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2008, 06:11:22 PM »
Since you decided to add your 2 cents worth, can you explain how the oil got there and if it is a problem for the machine in the future?

I'm all ears.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 06:13:37 PM by Repair-man »

Offline jayman73

• VIP Member
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2008, 07:20:52 PM »
Since you decided to add your 2 cents worth, can you explain how the oil got there and if it is a problem for the machine in the future?

I'm all ears.

top seal not sure some times seal by coupling fails thats just oil on floor but when top seal goes it throws oil right on the clutch the next time i see one ill snap a pic for you the brake shoes stay dry but some clutches are soaked like i said i cleaned some and not others but always carry one in truck! and like i said sorry to piss you off if i did

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2008, 07:41:50 PM »

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2008, 07:43:10 PM »

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2008, 09:47:22 PM »
if that clutch is above the tranny how does that oil get up there. Lame ass explanations ifn you ask me.
That slanging is due to a leaky main seal drippng down in the clutch and being slung into that wall my opinion. Not the transmission.
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2008, 09:48:32 PM »
hay I have ben wrong in the past. I want a fugginf explanation porvavor :D? haha LOL
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline jayman73

• VIP Member
« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2008, 06:28:25 AM »
hay I have ben wrong in the past. I want a fugginf explanation porvavor :D? haha LOL
I know what a bearing failure looks like on a old belt drive but you would think but if that was the case would your brake not get soaked if it was from the top  8)

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2008, 06:42:48 AM »
JAY;

Let's clear the air here...you did not 'piss me off'. You just added more complications to her problem that weren't necessary, as did JW. But I'm used to that :)

I used to train technicians at Maytag on the Whirlpool products back in 1994-1997 when they were beginning their campaign on all-brand service. I was originally a Sears technician starting in 1974, and worked exclusively on Whirlpool prducts and we were trained at the Sears Technical Institute in Dallas. At one time, they actually had a college for this stuff, although it is gone now.

Back to the problem at hand. If the upper seal leaks (brake tube, agitator shaft), there will be oily brake pads and the ring around the wall of the cabinet. This is due to the leaking water which has displaced the oil in the transmission. You always replace the gearcase, clutch and spin tube if this occurs.  On the other hand, small amounts of oil normally migrate out of the top of the transmission during operation just because they do not seal the tranny. The little washer that goes under the clutch is there to help contain splashing oil from the shaft area. If they sealed the transmission off, pressure would build up inside with the action of the multiple gears spinning around and would  cause other problems, so they intentionally leave a small gap there.

Seeing traces of oil inside the clutch is not necessarily a sign the upper seal is involved, that's all. It happens quite a bit and is harmless.  Seeing an oil ring like the pics above would lead to a major overhaul instead.  I guess what provoked me the most was guys adding other factors to a seemingly straightforward repair, thus confusing the poster and maybe leading her to buy the spin tube instead of what she should have bought in the first place. The repair guy in her town was absolutely no help, selling her a spin tube without selling her the spanner wrench to remove it.  

The only thing I would like to see differently on this forum is when I give someone a prognosis, unless I am completely off-base, there should be nobody else chiming in to complicate what should be a simple procedure. After all, average consumers have no idea what they are looking for in the first place unless we instruct them, so we don't want to fill their minds with details that may or may not apply to their predicament.  I will not be offering any more advice unless asked.

Repair Guide: Whirlpool Direct Drive Washer - No agitate or spin

Started by AJ

Replies: 13
Views: 23946
Last post January 02, 2009, 01:09:38 PM
by AJ
Video: Whirlpool Direct Drive Washer Clutch, Brake Transmission - Gear Case

Started by AJ

Replies: 6
Views: 9896