Author Topic: Replaced coupler in washing machine now has burning smell  (Read 11971 times)

Offline Tootie

• VIP Member
Replaced coupler in washing machine now has burning smell
« on: September 27, 2008, 06:29:41 PM »
Replaced coupler in washing machine because it wasn't agitating and spinning.  Both work fine now.  After a few minutes turning it on, there's a burning smell.  Both the clips holding the motor are slightly bent.  I wonder if it's hitting the motor or if the clips are too close.  Or I don't know if I hit some wires?

Offline whirlpooltech

• Technician
  • 20 years of experience
Re: Replaced coupler in washing machine now has burning smell
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2008, 08:50:43 PM »
Remove the cabinet and check the motor coupler again.

Whirlpool Washer Motor Coupler Part # 285753A

Offline Tootie

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2008, 10:25:00 PM »
Thanks, I will check it out and report back.

Forgot to mention, the smell is like electrical.  Noticed it few minutes after it was agitating.  I also tried to get some of the black dust off the motor.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2008, 02:53:43 PM »
When you replace the coupling you have to be carefull not to bind it too far up against the transmission. They make a special tool for 10 bucks to install the ends correctly. All I do is use a nut driver handle and that helps put the coupling flush but it does not bind up the transmission. I know because I have done it. If you have it too loose then it will simply grind off half of the plastic and stop spinning but it will wash fine. If you pound it in there too tight then it will bind up the transmission and impede the motor. BTDT been there Done that!
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Tootie

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2008, 02:54:47 PM »
Thanks, I thought I had it up too far.  It turns out it wasn't flushed with the shafts which is probably why I had a tough time putting back the motor.  I managed to get one on the motor yesterday, but I'm having a more difficult time putting the other coupling on the transmission.  I'm using a nut driver and don't want to hit it too hard.  Is there anyway to make it go in easier?  Grease, oil, or whatever?  The coupling is a generic brand.  Seems harder to install than the oem.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2008, 03:31:58 PM »
You know what I do is use the old black piece if it looks good. makes it easier.
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Tootie

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2008, 03:53:41 PM »
The black rubber thing is worn out.  I was referring to the white plastic part.  It looks only halfway in.  Tapping it for an hour, looks like it hasn't moved much.

Offline murphycc

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2008, 05:33:29 PM »
I had a broken coupler on my Whirlpool as well, so I replaced it yesterday. During the spin cycle, I too smelled a burning smell.

Does this happen because the two white pieces (with three prongs) have been driven too far onto the shafts of the motor and transmission sides? Is that what you guys mean by the coupling binding too far up against the transmission?

The plastic couplers look to be a bit improved from the replacement one I took off, because it has a metal ring in the center now. I will try JWWebster's idea to use the old black rubber ring (which is still intact). And how were you using the nut driver handle to get it on just right?

I was all prepared to go buy some 80w90 gear oil, because I also lost some oil before I fixed this because I had the washer upside down on its tub for 2 days to get easier access to it. I guess the oil slowly leaks out of the gear box. I thought that was the reason for the smell, but maybe it's the coupler. I will try repositioning the coupler first.

Thanks,
Chris

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2008, 05:40:03 PM »
Installation is much easier on the white coupler part if you take a 1/2" deep socket and tap it over the center of the piece. You can pound away and get the coupler on the shaft really quickly. The smell will go away after a couple of loads anyway.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 05:42:56 PM by Repair-man »
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2008, 08:15:18 PM »
you want the end pieces to be flush with the shafts on bothe the motor and the tranny. if you get the endpieces too far on either one then you will have binding.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Tootie

• VIP Member
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2008, 10:06:18 PM »
Thanks I will try that tomorrow.  I was afraid if I hit it too hard, it'll break the transmission or something else.

Offline vaughanc

• VIP Member
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2009, 04:45:01 AM »
I also bought a new coupler with the metal ring in the center.  It went on very hard and I didn't have it flush.  I wondered why the motor clips went back on so hard the first time.  The black rubber peice moves freely now, and it didn't move at all the first time.  I just took it off and put it on again, we'll see how it goes.  I guess not having them on far enough is just as bad.  Thank you for the information, thought I needed to replace my transmision or something else.

Chris

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2009, 10:18:35 AM »
Actually I used to sell a special tool for coupling installation for 10 bucks. It looked just like that black center piece but it had a square hole in it to fit a 3/8ths drive socket extention into and it was made of rigid plasic. You would fit an end piece on it and install the endpiece without the possibility of going to far and it was much easier to install the end piece. Nobody wanted to pay the 10 bucks for the tool. Didn't sell too many. Never reordered em.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 10:25:36 AM by JWWebster »
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Washaman

• Technician
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2009, 11:02:00 PM »
Yes, whenever I install the new design I use a 6 inch socket extension an a socket to install.

Offline jumptrout51

• Technician
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2009, 08:32:52 AM »
I use the handle from my 6n1 screwdriver.
Take a Kid fishing.

Follow us on Google+

burning smell and squealing noise after coupler replacement

Started by re-leigh

Replies: 8
Views: 4135
Last post November 14, 2007, 07:32:15 PM
by Pegi
Foul smell from top loading Kenmore washing machine

Started by Leo427

Replies: 3
Views: 6170
Last post April 12, 2009, 08:28:01 AM
by Repair-man
Video: Whirlpool Washing Machine Drive Motor Coupler Replacement

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 3898
Last post June 18, 2010, 10:55:19 AM
by AJ
Admiral Washing Machine Help

Started by Labonza

Replies: 1
Views: 5237
Last post July 17, 2007, 10:03:32 AM
by AJ
WHAT WASHING MACHINE WOULD YOU PURCHASE?

Started by bespiritfilled

Replies: 3
Views: 3119
Last post August 30, 2007, 09:30:46 PM
by larry
Help Tromm washing machine wont spin

Started by angeleyes

Replies: 15
Views: 19837
Last post February 13, 2008, 08:19:59 PM
by JWWebster