Author Topic: American Range Leaking Gas  (Read 1491 times)

Offline TechnicianBrian

• Technician
    • TechnicianBrian.com
American Range Leaking Gas
« on: September 27, 2008, 08:10:16 AM »

Model #AAR-304i-AL, this 6 burner gas range would give off a very noticeable gas smell whenever the left front surface burner was used. Because there was no odor when the unit was not being used, that was an indication the leak must be located between the gas valve and the burner assembly. Some sniffing around and I quickly located the problem.

Gas appliances are usually quite simple in there design, and this leads to them being very safe to use in the home. The gas (natural or LP) will enter from the house source, travel through a regulator to help maintain consistent pressure, and then on to the manifold and oven valves. The surface burners each use a valve connected to the manifold that functions much like a water valve to supply gas from low to high and everywhere in between.

Since the customer was able to narrow my search for me to the left front burner, I made my way to the corresponding valve and was quickly able to find the source of the odor. It looks like the aluminum tubing was not inserted straight into the valve before the compression nut was tightened, resulting in the ferrule not sealing the joint. By cutting the end of the tubing off and installing a new ferrule (available at most hardware stores), I was able to seal the joint properly and put an end to the leak. When using this type fitting, make sure you make the connection snug, but do not over tighten the compression nut.

If you suspect a leak from your own gas appliances, shut off the gas at the source and open a window or two to get the gas out of the room. Consult a trained professional for service if you are uncomfortable working with gas. Many items on appliances can be serviced by the average do-it-yourselfer, but know your limits and make sure you are safe if you do try a repair.

BTW, I know on a previous post in the product showcase section, I presented some information on this new range and was very impressed with really how basic it was in design and operation. Well I still think its a nice range, but if you need to get to the gas manifold, or any of the valves or burners, you will need to take it apart like this -

So plan your time accordingly, or bring a friend along. Oh, and make sure you have a charged battery in your drill.

Residential Gas Ranges from American Range

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 0
Views: 2613
Last post July 05, 2008, 06:19:30 AM
by TechnicianBrian
Jenn Air Duel Fuel Range

Started by Diyeng

Replies: 3
Views: 4859
Last post August 22, 2007, 04:24:51 PM
by Pegi