Author Topic: Kenmore Elite Oasis Washer  (Read 18813 times)

Offline cigar7

• VIP Member
Kenmore Elite Oasis Washer
« on: September 23, 2008, 09:31:14 AM »
My Kenmore Elite Oasis HE Washer - Model 110.27082601 just started to crap out on me this week after 2.5 years. Wouldn't power up, stopped during rinse cycle but no error codes ever were displayed.

I contacted Sears and they told me Whirlpool was aware of an issue with the control board, part # W10189966
A formal upgrade to the control board is in the works but no date can be given at this time and was told to wait and call back in October. In addition, all repair costs would be my responsibility if I do decide to address issue myself. No reimbursment of funds even if a formal recall or upgrade is done by Whirlpool.

I thought a $1000 appliance would go worry-free for at least 5 yrs...

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
Re: Kenmore Elite Oasis Washer
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 11:38:34 AM »
My distributors have 57 of them on backorder. You'll still be wearing the same old crusty drawers for at least a week :)
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline cigar7

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 12:57:22 PM »
I guess I gotta go out and buy a few pairs...

Kenmore/Whirlpool/Sears Suck! 

They better reimburse me for the part, my time and the tighty whities! :tickedoff:

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008, 01:51:21 PM »
I bet ya could pick up a direct drive top loader used fer a hundred bucks.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline cigar7

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 12:22:52 AM »
Part came in and I replaced.

Got one wash done but then experienced the same problem...

What now???  :(

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 05:19:57 AM »
Please describe step by step what the machine is doing. Also, are you there when the thing stops, or do you  come in later to find it sitting dead? Do you  know at which part of the cycle the machine wants to stop?

Since none of us can be there to check this for you, it will be up to you to wait thru a proper cycle to see what happens, just as a technician would have to do. Obviously it is doing something that you  might have missed so far. A door switch issue, for example would interrupt the cycle midway if the door came unlatched for some reason. Intermittent problems like this can be aggravating unless you can pinpoint when and why it is happening.

Bear in mind, there is also the User Interface board which can also cause this problem of not being able to program a cycle.  It works in tandem with the lid switch.

User Interface Board Part # 8564392

Lid Lock Latch Assembly Part # W10059230

Per theOasis Tech Sheet:
DIAGNOSTIC: Unsuccessful Entry

If entry into diagnostic mode is unsuccessful (see steps 1 and 2 of
Activation of Automatic Diagnostic Test Mode, page 2), refer to the
following indications and actions:
Indication 1: None of the indicators or display turns on.
Action: Press POWER button to enter setting mode.
➔If indicators come on, try to change the function for the button used
to activate the diagnostic test mode. If that button fails to change the
function, something is faulty with the button, and it is not possible to
enter the diagnostic mode.
➔If no indicators come on after pressing POWER button, go to
TEST #1, page 9.
Indication 2: Fault code flashes from the display.
Action: Review the Display Fault/Error Codes table, page 6, for the
recommended procedure.

In other words, the control will either work or not when you do this test. If it works, then you may go to the stored error codes ad review them. They will be in the memory whether you saw them occur or not.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 08:21:35 AM by Repair-man »

Offline cigar7

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2008, 04:08:48 PM »
Called Sears repair service since I didn't know what else to do and paid $200 for them to come out and cover any parts under $100 (+ 1 yr. warranty on parts). Repair man shows up tests control board and figures out it is dead, part # W10189966
He says replacement board needs to be ordered and I'll get it in a week and they will send someone over to install. He left and I kept machine unplugged.

Next day I plug it in (for the hell of it) and it miraculously powers up. 3 loads are completed with no problem. This leads me to believe I am not experiencing an issue with the control board and something else is causing it to not power up.

Any one with a clue what could be the culprit???

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2008, 04:12:46 PM »
Only the lid switch or a wire somewhere on the harness coming loose could create this.

If you are sure the power circuit your machine is on is a dedicated circuit (never a GFI), then the  problem lies in the machine.

Offline cigar7

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2008, 04:21:13 PM »
Only the lid switch or a wire somewhere on the harness coming loose could create this.

If you are sure the power circuit your machine is on is a dedicated circuit (never a GFI), then the  problem lies in the machine.

Definitely not on GFI.

Are you suggesting replacement of lid switch and/or user UI board? and what harness are you referring to?

thanks

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2008, 04:30:29 PM »
The only board we're talking about is the one I showed you above, the UI board.

By harness, we mean any group of wires connected to a component.

The Sears guy already admitted a board problem, lets leave it there. That's all we need to look at for now. I suspect somewhere on that board is a loose solder joint, but what do I know for sure? You've paid their service charge, they are responsible for your machine's reliability for the next 30 days after the repairs.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 04:33:06 PM by Repair-man »

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2009, 10:24:06 PM »
I know this is a old post, but I was wondering if the sears technician end up getting your washer repaired?

Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline cigar7

• VIP Member
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2009, 10:25:34 PM »
I know this is a old post, but I was wondering if the sears technician end up getting your washer repaired?

Here's an update to this old story...

I purchased a ServiceSmart Protection Agreement for $233.54 when I called for support the first time (Oct. 2008). Control board was replaced and the unit functioned normally until March 2009 when the same problem occurred.

Called for service and control board was replaced again, part # W10189966

I informed the technician that sometimes the unit functions after keeping it unplugged for a few days but this time it did not resolve the issue. In June 2009 unit stopped during wash cycle and called for service. Unit was kept unplugged and when the technician arrived and plugged in the washer it functioned and passed the diagnostics. Technician did not replace board since he stated it appears to be working and if problem occurred again it may require a replacement of the control panel. On August 4, 2009, the washer stopped during a cycle. Called support for service and technician came to troubleshoot. He stated that there may be an issue with the outlet since it had a "floating" ground so he tested another nearby outlet and he found that to be grounded "correctly". Technician stated he would not install a new control board but would order a control panel and install it when it was delivered to my household. Technician recommended I only use the other outlet to rule out any issues with the "floating" ground. On August 14 the technician installed the control panel that was delivered and ran diagnostics which passed. I attempted to do a load of wash that night and it stopped during wash cycle. Could not power up machine even though it was unplugged for an hour. Unit was plugged into properly grounded outlet when problem occurred. I called service on the same night to schedule another service visit on August 21st. Service rep on the 21st determined the problem was the control board (again) and ordered a part to be sent to my address, scheduled another appt. to install it on Aug. 29th. New control board was installed on 29th but the washer continued to be non-functional. Technician determined the control panel would have to be replaced possibly due to the previous part installed on Aug. 4th being refurbished. Awaiting delivery of new control panel and have another service appt. to install it scheduled for Sept. 5th.
I've filed a formal complaint against SEARS Holding Corp. with the BBB and joined a class action lawsuit with law firm of Andrus Anderson LLP regarding this ongoing problem  :tickedoff:

Offline cigar7

• VIP Member
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2009, 01:18:48 PM »
User interface\control panel was delivered yesterday, part # 8564392
Couldn't wait until Saturday for tech to show up so I installed myself. I noticed the refurbished one that was previously installed was a release version and this one is rev. G.

It works again (for now). Did one load of laundry this morning and will have to probably do 5 more before Saturday when tech is scheduled to come by.

Seems that the user interface and control boards for this washer are poorly manufactured. Most of the issues I see people write about on the net are related to these parts.

Let's see how long it takes before another breakdown...

Kenmore Elite Oasis Washer

Started by MajorApp

Replies: 8
Views: 8300
Last post February 22, 2009, 02:03:55 PM
by apptech
Kenmore Elite Oasis HE Washer - oL code

Started by showlowjimbo

Replies: 4
Views: 10432
Last post April 07, 2009, 05:11:15 PM
by Repair-man
Kenmore Elite Oasis HE Washer - oL code

Started by NH

Replies: 0
Views: 4254
Last post April 26, 2010, 01:14:52 AM
by NH
Kenmore Elite Oasis Washer lid lock

Started by jembows

Replies: 1
Views: 5128
Last post June 14, 2010, 10:34:12 PM
by schaffersapplian
My Re: Kenmore Elite Oasis HE Washer - oL code 110.27062600(bangs)

Started by syjen

Replies: 1
Views: 165
Last post October 03, 2014, 03:00:54 PM
by rockinrobin
Kenmore Oasis Washer Leaking

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 0
Views: 5574
Last post October 05, 2008, 07:23:38 AM
by TechnicianBrian