Author Topic: Admiral Dryer (ADG7005AWW) won't heat  (Read 10198 times)

Offline beyondx4

• VIP Member
Re: Admiral Dryer (ADG7005AWW) won't heat
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2010, 10:17:09 AM »
JT,
It's been awhile since I've worked with electricity. So in order to find the short circuit, will my multimeter need to be set to check for continuity and then I'll need to see if any of the terminals or wires has continuity with the chassis ground?

Anyway, before I could start measuring, the first thing I'll need to do is replace all the melted wire on the harness around the gas valve area. Luckily everything is still intact so that I could rewire and solder each terminal individually. Of course, the only 2 wires I couldn't do anything about is the two heat-insulated wires coming off the ignitor.

Thanks alot for everybody's help!

Offline beyondx4

• VIP Member
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2010, 09:34:48 AM »
Just an update on my attempt at repairing my gas dryer. After rebuilting the wiring harness around the valve coils, installing the new igniter, and reassembling the dryer that I've torn apart; I fired it up: there were flames in the burner and heat in the exhaust pipe!

I've been backtracking my fixes and replicating the issue: I believe I've turned the dial pointer on the AUTO setting too far (between "Less Dry" & "Off"). This probably knocked the dial outside of its operating range, causing it to stick (which sometimes happen on my little oven). The dryer overheated after running for 3hrs and possibly damaged part of the harness, shorting it somewhere. As a result, it never heated up afterwards; even after replacing the valve coils. Worse yet, the next morning, I found the the harness around the valve had melted badly and the wires from the igniter burnt up beyond use (I'd left the dryer plugged in overnight).

Now that it's back up and running, I'm able to successfully get the AUTO settings to operate normally by keeping the pointer within the "Very Dry to Less Dry" range; however, upon testing, I've found that the manual TIMER setting is much more consistent and haven't failed. So I'll likely stick to this rather than using any of the AUTO settings, just to be safe. Anyway, I appreciate everybody's contribution...not only saving the dryer, but more importantly, I've attained a new skill!

-DV   ;D

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2010, 10:38:12 AM »
Glad to hear you got it working again.
Thanks for the update.  O0
Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline elite

• VIP Member
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2010, 08:53:25 PM »
please check your venting sounds like you had a lynt fire very rare that wires around coils catch on fire unless there is a venting issue allowing the flame to curl backwards from the burner tube

Offline beyondx4

• VIP Member
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2010, 01:59:11 AM »
Thanks. The day after the fix, I went ahead and shortened/cleared the venting hole to make it more efficient. The couple of elbows might've contributed to the initial problem causing the dial to stick.

The crazy thing is that the melting of the wires near the valve happened AFTER I opened the dryer up to replace the valve coils (which I thought was broken not allowing the dryer to produce any heat; however, I later found out the igniter lights up, but it cannot light up a flame). I was disappointed and shut off the gas and quit. A few days later, I opened it up again only to find out that the wirings have completely melted, which suggested something shorted and probably lighted up the igniter while I was away. A member suggested I must first eliminate the short, which I did while carefully rebuilding the harness. After I plugged it back in, to my surprise, the dryer worked like new!

-DV

Admiral Dryer tumbles, doesn't heat up.

Started by jencredible

Replies: 5
Views: 4909
Last post April 27, 2010, 10:11:06 PM
by jencredible
Admiral gas dryer ADG7005AWW starts to dry, but flame cuts off.

Started by Lordoffire

Replies: 2
Views: 1351
Last post May 18, 2014, 10:05:12 AM
by Maintech
IA84600 Inglis dryer doesn't heat

Started by RickT

Views: 7875
Last post January 16, 2008, 04:02:42 PM
by JWWebster
maytag dryer model # md 3500 (no heat)

Started by #13

Views: 6699
Last post December 05, 2007, 07:15:02 AM
by apptech
LG gas dryer wont heat

Started by berniet

Replies: 16
Views: 15339
Last post February 14, 2008, 03:56:13 PM
by RegUS_PatOff
Whirlpool Dryer - Run, but does not heat.

Started by AJ

Replies: 2
Views: 3428
Last post January 10, 2014, 12:26:55 PM
by fairbank56